Recipes

Options
pdworkman
pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
Add some of your favourite recipes here!

Replies

• pdworkman
    Options
    I don't know where this one originally came from. I have to try subbing out the egg, but I can tell you it works very nicely with the egg. One of the best pie crusts ever, even beats out a lot of wheat crusts. Not grainy like a rice flour crust.

Lily's GF Pie Crust - my grain-free, dairy-free modifications

1/3 cup buckwheat flour
    1/3 cup tapioca flour
    1/3 cup potato starch
    1-1/2 Tablespoon arrowroot
    1 teaspoon xanthan gum (guar gum subs equally)
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1/3 cup (5 Tablespoon) Earth Balance shortening
    1 egg, beaten
    1/3 teaspoon salt
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Have eggs and shortening cold for best results. Combine flours, starches, salt, xanthan gum, and sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut cold shortening into slices and then work it into the flour mixture with hands or a pastry cutter until the dough feels slightly moist and begins to hold together.
    Add the beaten egg and vinegar to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon or fork until it begins to stiffen. The dough will be quite soft at first but will firm up. Is it firms up, form it into a ball and work it a little with your hands. Use a little tapioca flour if necessary to keep your hands from getting sticky.

Roll the dough out between two pieces of wax paper, turning and peeling off paper as necessary to smooth out wrinkles. Leave the paper on the pie dough to turn it. When it is ready for a pie pan, peel the top layer of paper off, hold the lightly greased pan over the dough, and slip your other hand under the bottom paper and dough. Lift it into the pan as you flip it all over.
    Smooth the dough into the pan before removing the wax paper. Again peel it off; don't lift it off.

Crimp edges as desired. Prick with a fork if a baked pie shell is desired and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.

Double the ingredients for a two-crust pie. Don't attempt to fold the top pie crust. A two-crust pie will bake 50-60 minutes
  • pdworkman
    Options
    This is my own recipe. Better than any of the corn or rice flour tortillas you'll find out there, and better than most of the wheat ones! I'm not a big "bread" person, but I love tortillas. My hubby and son beg for these. Great for tacos, falafel wraps, or pbj!

Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas

2 teaspoons Salt (optional)
    2 cups buckwheat flour
    2 cups tapioca starch
    2 tsp xanthan gum
    water

Preparation

Whisk flours together.

Process in mixer, adding water slowly until mixture *starts* to stick together. Leave it mixing for several minutes, and only add more water, a bit at a time, if the sides of the mixing bowl do not come clean. The longer you mix it, the better the texture of the finished product will be.

Roll out balls into flat round tortillas. (Easiest to roll between two layers of Glad wrap with a bit of buckwheat flour.)

Heat skillet to medium, and place tortilla on dry skillet until brown spots appear (will need to cook both sides). Cast iron cookware works great. Best served warm.
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting these!

Do you think I can substitute regular-full-fat grass-fed butter for the shortening?

:) Jane
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I understand that butter makes a slightly tougher crust, but lard would be an option for those who eat animal products. One thing I found this year was that you need to be careful of overmixing the crust, just like you would a gluten crust. Cut in the fat, but don't use your food processor/mixer. It will be tough and not as flakey. Still tastes good and does the job though!
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the info!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    n'oatmeal-drops recipe (fat-free, grain-free, vegan)

Adapted from "Ann Lally"

Applesauce N'Oatmeal Drops

1/4 c brown sugar
    1/4 c white sugar
    3/4 c natural unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 tsp vanilla

1 c buckwheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 c buckwheat flakes

1/2 c seedless raisins and/or choc chips

Mix sugars and add applesauce and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients and stir
    in. Add buckwheat flakes and raisins. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment. Bake
    at 375 degrees about 10 minutes.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    STUFFING:

USE THE USUAL celery, onions, Sage, rosemary, parsley thyme
    ( my fingers are still Fragrant mmmm)
    But
    use Quinoa! As your grain!

I now have Stuffed Mushrooms IN!

endless possiblities here. .& Healthier Too!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've had a nice size portion of that "STUFFING ".. with added raisins in the Frig. .Over the past 2 Days. .I've made it
    INTO a SOUP;
    Added V8. & a morningstar griller

Into a Brekki ;
    Added an Egg & Nooch

We'll see what Tomorrow may Bring. .

Thinking a bean or lentil added with moroccan, or Cajun, or Chili / Taco Spice. .
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Me and my family like quinoa-based stuffing too. For big occasions, I'll make my own bread and stuffing if I am up to it, but for day-to-day meals, quinoa is a much faster, easier solution. And like you, I use lots of leftovers and "make over" into new dishes.
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Hey, some new faces! Post new threads/requests if you want! The group is pretty quiet, but can be busier if you want it to be.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Made perogies again this week. I started with this recipe:

http://www.theppk.com/2011/03/potato-pierogi-with-caramelized-onions/

But instead of the dough in the recipe, I use my tortilla dough recipe above. Works perfectly! They will blow you away!

A tip when making perogies: refrigerate both the dough and the filling ahead of time. The filling should be quite stiff and dry when filling the perogies, it is much easier to manipulate and seal them. Get all of the perogies made up ahead of time before starting to cook them. Roll the dough on lightly floured parchment paper, with glad wrap over top, to keep it from sticking to anything. Use a drinking glass if you don't have a round cookie cutter.

And of course there are lots of things that you can add to the filling or use as toppings. Cheese (vegan or dairy) in the filling or melted over top, sour cream, salsa, pizza sauce, whatever. And bacon bits.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I also made crepes today, and Sethandjane pointed out that the recipe was not posted here. If you are able to eat eggs, you can sub any grain free flour for wheat flour in your favourite crepe recipe. The eggs are what holds it all together. However, if you are looking for a recipe that is both grain free and vegan, look no further:

1 c buckwheat flour
    1/4 c arrowroot
    1/4 tsp baking soda

enough water for a thin, crepe-like batter (thinner than pancake batter, but not too thin. If you are getting a lot of batter/holes, you might need to add just a bit more flour.)

medium heat on your burners

grease your pans or use non-stick cookware. Pour 4"-5" circles, spread with back of spoon or swirl in the pan

cook until mostly, flip over with a silicon spatula for just minute