Diet Pill YES/NO what are your opions

Options
I'm asking a question and I know I'll get many different answer, But should or shouldn't you take diet Pills. Someone has told me about a tablet called liproxenal ponama, I'm also would like to know if anyone has taken if and what was the effects of it??
I have been told don't take diets pills it all about changing what you eat, exercise etc. I have seen two dietitians and of to see another one next week. I have heard all this before and feel like I just need something to kick start my metabolism.

Replies

• hjb85
    hjb85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed me some diet pills but I quickly decided they weren't for me. I suffered heart palpatations, hot & cold flushes and sleeplessness. While the pills did supress my appetite and give me increased energy I found that it was not a healthy solution for weight loss. I had absolutely NO appetite at all which meant that I wouldn't eat until I was feeling physically ill & drained from low blood sugar etc. By that time I was desperate to quickly get my blood sugar up again so would grab whatever was handy - which of course was usually high fat/high sugar unhealthy snacks. With my heart constantly racing I couldn't sleep and so became a bit of a zombie. Eyes glazed over but unable to sit still. In the three weeks I was taking the medication I only lost about half a kilo - compared to 1-2 kilo's per week when I was eating healthy and working out a couple of times.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    I've taken a variety of diet medication, and while they've certainly helped I don't think they were necessary at all. I still would have lost a lot of weight with the way I was eating. However, these helped get me started (i.e. I saw results immediately and my performance at the gym increased immensely).

What works for most people are.

Central nervous system stimulant drugs: caffeine, ephedrine, DMAA, amphetamine (including adderall) etc.
    Beta 2 agonists - clenbuterol, albuterol
    Thyroid hormones - T3, T4
    AAS

All these have pretty strong side effects in effective doses.

Eat clean with lots of protein and water, exercise hard and you really won't need any extra help. You can get away with caffeine but I wouldn't recommend anything else. If you really aren't seeing any results, you can try something to motivate you and then stop using it.

Looking at Liproxenol ingredients and reviews, I think any effects would be due to the placebo effect. This is just an assortment of common ingredients and herbs with a scientific sounding name. A cup of coffee should have a stronger effect.
  • KelliMarie89
    Options
    Thank You for your advice, I'm not sure what to do with Diet Pills, I'm on medication too so I have to watch what I can take. So I'm looking for a very natural tablet that would just help me kick start my metabolism. I'm struggling because I'm on Lithium as I have bipolar and it can and does make you put on weight. So I feel I'm fighting a losing battle.
  • reshapinrose
    Options
    I must admit I got a script about 4mths ago, but I never got it filled....why??? because I,ve done it before, they work great but the side effect was that I didnt exercise, your body just turns to jello!!.....so slow and steady and add some exercise. Good Luck.
  • jangyxox
    Options
    It is up to each individual how they feel and what kind of side effects they get and what results they get...
    Personally diet pill is a big NO-NO for me for few reasons.

It is a quick fix and like most quick fixes it won't give you a long term results.
    It probably has a funky chemical that are not good for your body/hormones therefore counter-acting your weight loss journey.

Nourish and look after your body with healthy food, lots of veges, fruit, meat, water etc instead and your body will thank you for it :-)
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No, no and No. You can do this without the extra pills- and the evidence for long term success on any diet pills is minimal and the side effect profile is high. As a Dr I dont prescribe them, and as someone who has weight issues for years I won't take them - its slow and you need perseverence and patience, but diet and exercise is the way to go IMHO.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Years ago after my first child I used diet pills to lose the 32kg I had put on, I lost the weight in about 4 months , I also got really sick as I couldn't sleep on them. I forgot to eat for days at a time and that was at the lower doses. Fast forward a few months without them and most of the weight had reappeared....
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    Definitely a no go! You don't need pills to kick start your metabolism, all you need to do if you haven't already is to make better food choices and try and get some exercise in to help tone up your body.

The idea of diet pills may sound great but they are not going to help change your lifestyle choices. Weight loss is about being committed to making a change. It's about surrounding yourself with positive and supportive people - mfp is great for this so joining here is a good start. It's also about keeping a positive mind - you can do this and don't forget to tell yourself this everyday. The whole weight loss journey is daunting for everyone but if you are not committed and don't push on through those times when you just want to give up you won't become the better you that you want to be.

Good luck with your weight loss journey and do feel free to add me if you are looking for someone to support you through this journey :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have taken diet pills in the past. The side effects are not pretty. I had heart palpitations, dry mouth, bad breath no matter how much I drank and didn't sleep, felt like I was completely off the planet. Lost weight initially but put it straight back on, plus more. Not good.

IMHO the thing that has always worked for me is a good steady plan, daily walk and keeping a diary to stay accountable. I didn't put on 26kg overnight or in 4 weeks, so I'm not going to take it off that way either. Half to 1 kilo a week is good sustainable weight loss and a sensible diet and walking will get it off.

I would not be sucked in by pills. Your health will suffer in the long run, as will your wallet.

:) Research it thoroughly and do what you think is right for you, but be careful.
  • I took them before and had many of the side effects as everyone has already posted. I lost heaps of weight but as soon as I started eating again the weight came back and brought friends with it.
    I recently saw a doctor again because I'm struggling to shift the weight and he's suggestion was to start taking them again but there is no way I will.
    They don't teach you a sustainable lifestyle. This time I'm going to eat right and exercise right an learn about nutrition.

Whichever way you decide to go I wish you the best with your goals