I can't keep up!

Options
Cameron_1969
Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
How do you single working full-time parents out there keep up with the bills, the housework, the job, the appointments for yourselves and your kid(s), the cooking, etc. .

I've got a messy house, a messy car, a pile of unpaid bills, dishes in the sink, laundry piled up, piles of stuff from the school I haven't looked at. . the list goes on and on! I'm not a slob by nature. This is all a matter of time management.. . i.e. there aren't enough hours in the day to get it all done. . arghhh!

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Can't you get a cleaner? House keeper? Whatever you call those lovely people in the US that you pay to clean, laundry, iron, cook?

:flowerforyou:
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    It is not just you. It is hard as hell to be a single parent. It sucks. Parenting was never supposed to be this way. Then you throw in sporting events and practices and it gets even worse. It is very difficult to try and foster some sort of relationship with a person on top of all that and people without children don't understand. They think that all your focus should be on them and heaven forbid you drop the ball.

I was just looking around my house this morning and sighing..lol. I worked 8.5 hours yesterday, then drove from work an hour away to a football game in the rain for my son and then drove him and two of his friends home. Got home about 9:00 and then we had homework and picture forms to fill out and hockey medical forms to fill out and then I went to bed. Did nothing around the house. Today was garbage day so I was running around trying to do that this morning along with getting ready for work .. blah blah blah .. lol. It is awful.

At the end of the day, I guess you just do what you can and don't stress about it. It will get done eventually. I am a big fan of lists. :flowerforyou:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I have a cleaning lady who comes once a week and it's fantastic. It's made a tremendous difference. You should try it!

I also have a relatively small apartment, even though I can afford much more. Small = less maintenance. Also, where there is a mess, you see it right away, so there is huge motivation to keep it clean asap, not just move to another room. The kids aren't allowed to play any games, get on the computer, or watch TV after school until their homework is finished and rooms are cleaned. No exceptions.

And the apartment is near the school, about a 10 minute walking distance. Obviously I chose this location on purpose. So that has saved a lot of time driving kids to and from school. They go to a hockey/skating school, the stadium is next door to the school, so - again - they just walk to practice after school.

I'm not saying all of this is applicable to you, but if you're paying a huge mortgage or high rent because you're living beyond your means, and because of that you can't pay your bills or clean your house, well..... Downsize your life, people, and focus on what really matters!

I do realize it's easier said that done. But I was in a similar situation about five years back (not as bad regarding bills, fortunately), and I vowed at the time to never again be "house rich and cash poor." This strategy has worked great for me so far.

--P
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I don't know how y'all single parents do it.. I'm struggling trying to organize MY life! I have so many changes coming up, I don't even know what to plan or do first.

The only thing I'm working on is paying off debt and saving money, which is hard. Damn divorce debt. :\

Thank goodness I only have two dogs to take care of and not any children. Props to you single parents! :flowerforyou:
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Can't you get a cleaner? House keeper? Whatever you call those lovely people in the US that you pay to clean, laundry, iron, cook?

:flowerforyou:

I actually do have a housekeeper. She comes every two weeks. And it does make a huge difference! She does the deep cleaning, though (bathrooms, kitchen, floors, etc). . I just can't make myself pay someone to pick up my kid's toys and my own messy office :tongue:

It's kind of standard practice here to actually clean your house so the housekeeper can come clean your house. . . . But, at least it FORCES me to clean up at least twice a month!
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Cam-
    I'll get in the car and be there about this time tomorrow to clean for you, lol.

Actually, it's really hard and I only have the kids 50% of the time. I find I'm more productive when they are home because when they are not busy they are fighting. I try the one room a night thing- focus on tidying up one room each night of course by the end of the wek you have to start all over again...

So, let me know when you figure it out!
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You just have to look at this way. Do you want to have a clean house and organized stuff to show that you lived or a smile on your face. Sometimes it is the only way that you can stay sane. i have raised twins and their younger brother by myself for at least the last 11 years. Sometimes you just have to say the hell with it and go on. I will go back to my OCD ways as soon as the kids are all gone but for now, it will just have to be a bit cluttered.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    As a single mom that works full time, I am constantly cleaning and picking up. I don't sit down from the minute I get home until I fall into bed at 11pm. I have OCD so my house is always in order, wish I could afford a house cleaner...lucky.

The bills part is hard but luckily I am pretty great at sticking to a budget. The stress of carrying everything as a single parent is overwhelming, especially I find it difficult at the end of the day when I want to wind down and talk to an adult but no one is here to share my daily frustrations with. After I finish my hundred tasks on a daily basis, I would love to fall into someones arms and drift to sleep, oh well maybe someday!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I had to cut a lot of extraneous stuff out of my life. I still make time for me (exercise, time with friends, some volunteering here and there but not much anymore). Because I travel so much for my job, the bulk of my evenings are spent just playing with/being with him. Dates were typically scheduled for lunch or after his bedtime otherwise he would get upset that mommy wasn’t spending enough time with him.

For the first couple years I did very little other than work, church, take care of/play with my boy. It’s easier now that he’s older and I’ve discovered some local programs that give me a “break” (for example, his daycare does a 3 hour block for $1.50 on 4th Saturdays). Sometimes I seriously just clean during those breaks. And now he’s bonded with some of the teens at church so when I go “out” he no longer feels neglected but gets excited about “pizza night.”

I don’t regret those years of doing nothing but “work, church, boy.” I may have missed out on some socializing, and I was often exhausted, but in the grand scheme I kept our lives together and have been told by various teachers he is one of the most well-adjusted children of divorce they’ve seen.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your son do chores? My mom never cleaned once Elena and I were old enough to be told to do the dishes.

On that note, you can't spare fifteen minutes a day to do something? Right before you go to bed you can empty and fill the dishwasher, you can fold that load of laundry, have your son put away his things while you run a vacuum over the floor. Sure it's not going to be spotless overnight but little steps like that help keep things in order.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    Doesn't your son do chores? My mom never cleaned once Elena and I were old enough to be told to do the dishes.

On that note, you can't spare fifteen minutes a day to do something? Right before you go to bed you can empty and fill the dishwasher, you can fold that load of laundry, have your son put away his things while you run a vacuum over the floor. Sure it's not going to be spotless overnight but little steps like that help keep things in order.

I get it done, I'm just always behind. And an added problem is that I commute an hour each way to work. Some days I can Work from home and those are days I do laundry. But some nights after he is asleep I just stand in my house and look at my mess and just say "screw it" and go to sleep. . lol. .
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    I had to cut a lot of extraneous stuff out of my life. I still make time for me (exercise, time with friends, some volunteering here and there but not much anymore). Because I travel so much for my job, the bulk of my evenings are spent just playing with/being with him. Dates were typically scheduled for lunch or after his bedtime otherwise he would get upset that mommy wasn’t spending enough time with him.

For the first couple years I did very little other than work, church, take care of/play with my boy. It’s easier now that he’s older and I’ve discovered some local programs that give me a “break” (for example, his daycare does a 3 hour block for $1.50 on 4th Saturdays). Sometimes I seriously just clean during those breaks. And now he’s bonded with some of the teens at church so when I go “out” he no longer feels neglected but gets excited about “pizza night.”

I don’t regret those years of doing nothing but “work, church, boy.” I may have missed out on some socializing, and I was often exhausted, but in the grand scheme I kept our lives together and have been told by various teachers he is one of the most well-adjusted children of divorce they’ve seen.

I think this is where I'm at. He's 6, so for now, it's pretty much another full-time job, but I think it will get a lot easier in the near future when he can start helping out more around the house and also finding his own entertainment. . But, the truth is, I LIKE spending as much time with him as I can. I'd much rather do legos or go to the park with him than do the dishes!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    For me I only have the kids 50% of the time so its a little different. But I leave all major cleaning for 1 day that I'm not working. I like to do it on Mondays while the kids are at school. THe rest of the week is just doing as little maintenece as I can get away with .. Usually just dishes and laundry. I pay my bill as soon as I get paid. Here I can pay them all online so I dont have to go out to the diferrent companies. I grocery shop when my children arent home. Homework gets done at the babysitters while I'm at work. Its hectic but it works. It worth when they run up to you and tell you your the best mommy ever(in your case daddy lol):heart:
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Totally feeling this myself. I am a newly single mom of an 8 year old (almost 9 year old) daughter. I feel like I never have a moments rest. I am up at 5 am (my daughter too) so that I can be at work by 7 am. We are out the door by 6 or shortly after. I take my daughter to my parent's house and they get her on the bus in the mornings for me since I have a 40 minute drive to work. I work until 3:30 and then go pickup my daughter from daycare. It's 4:45 by the time we get home and then there is the dog to walk before anything else. Most days, I throw a load of laundry in the wash and then we head out the door for a walk. Then when we come back I get dinner started and the laundry into the dryer and my daughter starts on her homework. She works on whatever homework she can do without my help while I cook and tidy up the kitchen, living room and dining room. After dinner, she continues on her homework while I clean the kitchen and do the dishes. Then I help her with anything she needs help on and get the load of laundry out of the dryer to fold while she reads her AR book. By then it's time for bath and bed for my daughter. This is when I can dust, vacuum, mop or whatever needs done around the house. There is always something to do whether it's laundry to fold and put away, bathrooms to clean, toys to pickup, or whatever. Admittedly sometimes it's just collapse in the recliner from exhaustion.
    Now throw on top of the yard work (mowing, trimming, etc.), grocery shopping, school activities, sititing down to pay bills, working out, etc., and if I never let anything go then I would never rest. Our house is clean, but lived in clean. We always have loads of towels that need to be folded and put away, toys and other items that should be picked up and put where they go, etc., but I try not to focus on that too much or I would drive myself crazy.
    Yes, I could probably suck it up and pay someone to come in and clean and even mow my yard for me, but I choose not to do that. My daughter and I are fairly good about cleaning as we go and I will say the house stays a lot cleaner now then when my soon to be ex lived in the house with us.
    And I have to admit the stress can really get to you. Thank goodness I have my parents who help me out with taking care of my daughter. Without them, my daycare bill would be doubled and I wouldn't be able to do my kickboxing classes or have the occasional night out with friends. Anyone ever try to find a babysitter for a Friday or Saturday night? Next to impossible. Not to mention that most of the teenagers these days I wouldn't leave my child with. There are a few I would but they don't babysit.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness!! I thought maybe it was just me, and I only have my kids 50% of the time. But between kids, work, me going back to school and non profit volunteering it is a lot. A few months back I decided I had to re prioritize and I cut a lot of things out. Unfortunately most of what got cut was my social life. I still maintain my tailgate spot for the local college football team (Go GameCocks!) but the difference now is I usually end up letting someone else use my spot since I am either with the kids, working/travelling for work or at school.

As for my house, I never considered a housekeeping service...I may have to look into that. My kids are 10 and 7 now and do a fair to middlin job of keeping up with their own rooms. I cannot let dishes go past one day or I lose my mind but I actually timed that out the other day and when I microwave my steam in bag veggies for 5 minutes, I can actually get the dishes done in about that same amount of time. I love to do laundry and even fold it, I just hate to put it away...so usually all our clothes are folded and sitting on the dining room table.

I also live an hour away from work, but I dont want to make that trade off because I live closer to school, and being in the military, when I am done with work, I want to be away from work spatially anyhow, since my phone rings all day and night concerning the men that work for me.

I dont think there is much you can do except keep getting after it, just like I make sure and make time for the gym, I leave a day a week to do nothing but pick up my house. Dont get me started on the lawn, I finally broke down and pay my son or the neighbor kid to take care of that for me.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I think this is where I'm at. He's 6, so for now, it's pretty much another full-time job, but I think it will get a lot easier in the near future when he can start helping out more around the house and also finding his own entertainment. . But, the truth is, I LIKE spending as much time with him as I can. I'd much rather do legos or go to the park with him than do the dishes!

Just be careful you don’t accidentally teach him to shirk responsibility. I let the dishes pile up and the cleaning go longer than it should, but even when he was 3 we still did some cleaning together every Saturday morning. His responsibilities continue to grow as he ages. At 6 he was responsible for his bedroom and his bathroom and cleaning the backseat of the car (under his booster seat). He gets it that as much fun as video games are, you must take care of business or your house won’t be ready for friends to come over.

A touching story on this… I posted originally in the” Why men should help around the house” thread:
    Lemme tell you what my 6 year old did before I sent him to live with his father while I deploy: He cleaned his room and then cleaned the living room. When I came out and was pleased and surprised you know what he told me? "I did this for you mommy, so you would have more time to cuddle and play with me."

Smart kid.

I didn't teach him that (thank you to whoever did!), but I hugged and praised him and told him to always have that mind set, especially when he becomes a daddy. Because every bit he does to help his future wife will means she'll have more time to cuddle and play with him.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746679-why-men-should-help-around-the-house?hl=more+time+play+with+me+mommy+cleaned#posts-11034616
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

6 is old enough to start picking up your own toys! As a child, I certainly had to pick up my toys from younger, as did my niece and nephew a few years ago. I feel like sometimes, parents are so concerned about making sure their kids are happy all the time, but parenting is also about teaching them life skills through things like chores that might be less enjoyable, a little at a time, so they learn to be fully functioning adults by the time they are ready to leave the house. It sounds to me like you are treating the job of picking up toys and cleaning up after your son as your job so he just has the fun parts, but you can make it part of the time you spend together by doing the chores together for now at least. Eventually, it can be his job alone while you go off and do the dishes.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

6 is old enough to start picking up your own toys! As a child, I certainly had to pick up my toys from younger, as did my niece and nephew a few years ago. I feel like sometimes, parents are so concerned about making sure their kids are happy all the time, but parenting is also about teaching them life skills through things like chores that might be less enjoyable, a little at a time, so they learn to be fully functioning adults by the time they are ready to leave the house. It sounds to me like you are treating the job of picking up toys and cleaning up after your son as your job so he just has the fun parts, but you can make it part of the time you spend together by doing the chores together for now at least. Eventually, it can be his job alone while you go off and do the dishes.

MY kids are 6 and 9. They are both in charge of cleaning there own rooms (or doing both rooms together). However since my 9yr old is currently grounded she is doing manual labor. I had her clean up her bathroom the other day. I also have her folding and putting away both of there laundry. I told her we dont lay in bed when were grounded in this house. Its not vacation.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It's not just single parents. If you live alone, and have full cooking, cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping duties, along with being responsible for supporting yourself, that is a lot.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options

MY kids are 6 and 9. They are both in charge of cleaning there own rooms (or doing both rooms together). However since my 9yr old is currently grounded she is doing manual labor. I had her clean up her bathroom the other day. I also have her folding and putting away both of there laundry. I told her we dont lay in bed when were grounded in this house. Its not vacation.

Oh, yeah. He picks up his toys, cleans his room and his playroom, makes his bed, picks out his own clothes to wear, etc. . But he's a bit too young to do the dishes or the laundry, I think (?). he can't even reach the sink and I'd be reluctant to have him handling my dishes and glasses over that tile floor!. .

I might start him mowing the lawn though. . (j/k). .

Also, one reason I want to try to keep a clean house, is so that he grows up expecting and being used to cleanliness instead of sloppiness. I just think it's a good habit to get into at a young age. .