Are you single by choice??

Options

Replies

• BenChase
    Options
    Not by my choice at all. Met the guy that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and started planning that life together. Literally overnight he did a 180 on me and ended it by a text message (nice huh? 34 yr olds do that???) he said he was worried it wouldnt work out. So, here I am.....rebuilding myself and tending to mine and my daughter's broken heart. what can ya do?

wow that one is all too familiar, my ex (after being together 6+years and knowing each other over half our lives) told her almost 400 friends on facebook about us breaking up without saying anything to me, i had not been on facebook that day yet due to being busy all morning and i sent a few texts asking her why she wasn't responding when i tried calling and she just said she was done with it, i asked what she meant and got no reply, after looking on facebook i'd seen she took me off her friends list and it said i was single as of about two hours ago. this was back in march and though i was not the one to make the choice to be single at the time i have been single since then by choice. i'm not against anything happening and my options are always open, but i'm not seeking a relationship. if it happens, it happens :happy:
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Its a little of both for me. I got married at 18, had a baby at 19, and divorced at 20. The orginal split was his idea, because he wasn't sure he was ready for a family. He eventually decided he was (after trying to be with several other women and making it on his own without any success), but I filed for divorce anyway. I have been divorced for 6yrs now, and have honestly been single for most of it (my choice). Being single does suck sometimes, and I date a lot. I just haven't found that someone. I would rather be alone than be with the wrong person.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm single by choice but i am open to the idea of another relationship
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I am caught up in this complicated thing with my ex... he is an addict and currently in jail we've been best friends for 10 years and have dated on and off for that time but have been in an exclusive serious relationship for the past year and a half and were living together. We have remained friends but it's a little difficult (actually impossible) to trust an addict & even if trust wasn't an issue I don't now anyone that can sustain a relationship based of once a week 20 minute phone calls & letters. Unfortunately, many of my friends have fallen victim to drugs/alcohol as it is a big problem in my city especially my neighborhood, my other serious boyfriend also had a drug problem. So for not I am sort of single by choice as if I wanted to put myself through the frustration of being with someone in jail I certainly could but I don't. I am so not interested in just jumping into a relationship for the sake of being in one but I do prefer it to being single. I'm trying to get in a better head space personally so I can start dating kids from outside my neighborhood who don't have those kind of issues.

My ideal relationship right now would be something uncomplicated with someone who wants more then just straight up sex but isn't looking for commitment either. I guess friends with benefits would be the right term
  • Scottish_Lass
    Options
    I'm going to go with yes, I am single by choice. I chose to leave my ex a fortnight ago! First time I've been single in 6 and 1/2 years. Still makes me nervous, and I havent quite figured out how to be on my own, but I'm strong and I'll get there :)
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Definitely single by choice at the moment . . am enjoying spending most of my spare time on myself and feeling so much better for it!!! I know if I met someone right now my good work would go out the window LOL!!!
  • Msdjt75
    Msdjt75 Posts: 24
    Options
    I am sinlge by choice. Divorced for 6 years after a 15 year relationship. Several years later, I fell in love with someone from my hometown, who relocated to another state, we had a 2 year relationship and I discovered he was engaged and was getting married. During all of this, I got saved, as in I am Christian and have decided to date only Christians, who are actually saved and not just pretending to be. I blame geography as to why I am still single.....my city is a mosh pit for dating and the pool is even smaller when one is unwilling to compromise personal standards for a mate, particularly in the area of faith. I am not tired of it, because I view this time as giving me a chance to work on all the areas of my life that I can improve upon before dealing wih another person's issues. I do though want to someday remarry.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yup, until i find someone worth my time.

Which will be never :P
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am the one who broke it off, but I love being single. I have been on a couple dates, but realize I love my freedom and it will take one hell of a man to change that.
  • shmcmaster
    shmcmaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A little bit of both, I have had my hear broken to many times so I don't put myself out there enough, as a result I've packed on the pounds. I've realized that the unhealthy living lifestyle I've become accustom too was defense mechanisim and an excuse to keep people away. I am enjoying being single and by myself, but I am ready for more. :flowerforyou:
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Been single for 5 years...so yea tired of being single. But refuse to jump into something for the sake of being in a relationship. It's going to take someone pretty dang special to get me.

^^This...5 years for me too, dated off and on, right now, I am happy getting my life back in order. If someone comes along in the meantime, then great, but not really looking.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Yup, until i find someone worth my time.

Which will be never :P

Is it bad that I kinda feel the same way - I get asked out by some 'gems" and can't help but thinking "I'm too good for this..."
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm too damn picky. That's what happens when you get burnt in the past.
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Choice... interesting word. Assuming most people don't think they are in a relationship just for the sake of it, most people tell themselves they are in a good relationship, why not be in it? And alot of people are in good relationships, no doubt, but i know for myself i hung on beyond the good times.

My last proper relationship lasted about 5 years. I ended it but he agreed. We got back together 2 years later for 2 months and then he ended it. It's been another 2 years since then. Essentially i feel as though i've been single for 4 years and i am sick of it.

I have dated heaps of people, and it's getting pretty depressing. It's not that i need to be in a relationship, i just feel that i have worked on myself (internally especially), i have done soooo many things on my own or with friends (though i'm at an age where many of my friends are partnered and don't really want to go on holidays with their single friend so i generally do things on my own) and i would love to meet a like-minded companion.

And yes, i have done all the things: got involved in my own stuff and activities without a care about dating; dated actively via internet and 'real' world; given people a chance beyond one date to see i'm not being too picky; been both hard to get and totally flirty etc. etc. etc.

The ex starts to look pretty damn good after years of freaks!!!

But he's got a girlfriend, which is a good thing- keeps me away.

I am happy to be single, I have lots of fun in my life and lots of freedom, so no i won't settle for something 2nd rate, but i also actually can't. When i am dating someone i'm only so-so about i literally can't go on with them. I have to have the buzz!! i'm willing to wait a few dates for a slow burner (my last 2 serious r'ships were slow burners), but unfortunately i haven't buzzed in awhile. The last guy i felt that way about was 5 months ago and turned out to have a girlfriend he neglected to mention, lucky nothing much happened before i found out! I hate cheaters!

So now i'm on here, working on my outside and focusing on me again! I guess someone will come along eventually.
  • daburnsie
    Options
    Yes, because I'm too damn picky. That's what happens when you get burnt in the past.

I'm picky too. Not because I have been burned, and I have, but because getting burned taught me to value and appreciate myself. Nice bike, by the way...:smile:
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    50/50 i guess... i never really go out and date multiple guys. lol... because i don't treat men as a shopping objects. i like to make friends and see where it goes. :)

I got dumped recently though. was with a guy who promised a lot of things; marriage, commitment and stuff. and then BAM, he dropped a bomb on me saying he's not ready for relationship.

so i don't consider myself expert in dating.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Not sure. Probably by choice. I'm picky, I think, or something. Anyway, I keep falling for men who are unavailable--ok---one man--who is unavailable. He's single
    but prefers his own gender in men, and teenage girls in women. Needless to say--I'm neither. But why do I fall for such a weirdo? Maybe because I know I'm just not ready? I was married ... he was OK but didn't work---actually I haven't even been on a date in years! Hate dating sites, basically because the man on them always say they are looking for someone "fit." Fit = thin. as we all know. Even if, and when I was, and will be again, thin, whu would I want some loser guy like that with no brain and all? :flowerforyou:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am single by choice. I recently pulled myself off the dating scene because I was frustrated at how men who would approach me would talk to me. So yeah, single by choice.
    Now if I encountered a man who knows how to talk to a woman without being disrespectful, then I may reconsider lol
  • tisonc
    tisonc Posts: 58
    Options
    Single by choice?? Well in my case yes I am single by choice, JOB really makes it hard to meet anyone or finding someone willing to be a part of my life because of my job.

Do I want to remain single now that's another question. I don't want too remain single as it would be nice to finally meet someone that makes me happy and complete but I am content single as well.

I have my kids to take care of and they will always come first. I think that has been the major factor in why I am still single.
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not at all by choice.