Why work Nights?

Options
13»

Replies

• CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I work nights so that I don't have to get a sitter for my children.
  • risu21
    risu21 Posts: 5
    Options
    My hubby's a paramedic who works 24 hour shifts every other day three times a week, and then has four days off. I am lucky enough to work nights at the hospital (I'm an RN) opposite his schedule so one of us is always home to be with the kids overnight. I'm usually home before my son leaves for school and on my mornings when I'm home, get my daughter to the high school bus at 7 AM. It works so much better than my 12 hour day shift schedule ever did, plus, I don't have to get up at 5 am. I saw another nurse talking about no supervisors, no doctors, no procedures, no meal trays...yes, yes, and yes! I love that I can actually care for my patients during night shift without all the madness the days bring.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't have a choice. It's part of our rotation. We work 2 months day, and 2 months on nights, then rotate back. I do prefer nights, though, as it isn't as hectic, and there's less bosses running around.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can't get up early in the morning.
    I wish I still had "evenings" though. 12 hour shifts leave me nothing. But the 4 days off are worth it.

AGREED! My main problem with this is however is that I'm a glutton for punishment and tend to pick up a ton of overtime too - and usually on the 3-11 shift. I am never home when anyone else is!

I told myself back when I left my job as a CNA that I'd never do nights again. I lied :-). My 3 night a week, 12 hour position came up on the bid board where I currently work (now as an LPN), and I bid on it because being gone 5 evenings a week and not having any sort of a life was getting to me. It's just me and my husband, and with his school schedule we never saw each other ever. So I switched to have more time off to spend with his, and everyone else in our families who only works days. It's only really hard when it's my weekend to work because it's three 12-hour nights back to back.

I like having more free time, and more days off. Plus I am definitely NOT a morning person, nor have I ever been. I can force myself to be if I have to, but it's just not my normal. Nights and evenings seem to work for me. :-)
  • droppinchins
    droppinchins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you.....I am single and have 3 dogs as well. One day, when I am married with children, I'm not so sure I could do night shift....but I guess it depends on what my future hubby does lol. Also, the main reason I work nights is the hourly differential ....they don't start you out at much for a new RN in FL.
  • Msdjt75
    Msdjt75 Posts: 24
    Options
    That's right! No procedures, no doctors, no bosses, no visitors, no meal trays, and most patients are sleeping. And, I actually get to read the charts, talk to the patients who are awake....geezzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I actually get to do my job!

my sentiments exactly...plus I like my differential..lol
  • sisa1965
    sisa1965 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I can have the schedule 7days on 7days off... plus with this schedule I am able to do more with my family and friends than I ever have