Can I run the second marathon?

Options
Erinthebodo
Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
Hi All,
I ran marathons before I had my son and then I took about 2 years off (oops!). This spring I started running again and completed a marathon 2 weekends ago. My time wasn't great, I averaged just under an 11 min mile but I finished and never had to walk. I have a half marathon next weekend then 2 weeks after that I have another full. My question is- clearly I haven't had time to get my long run distance up where it "should" be before the race (because of taper for the first marathon which I started a week or two before the first full). So how much fitness do you think that I have lost and do you think that I will be fine to run the second full? Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Replies

• caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot of racing within a short period time, but doable if your body is up for it. How do you feel? Why do you want to run the second marathon?
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Check out Hal Higdon's plans for two marathons close in time.
  • Erinthebodo
    Options
    Check out Hal Higdon's plans for two marathons close in time.
    Thanks so much for responding! I love this info, it was exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't decide if I should try for a real long run or not as I was worried about the loss of cardio fitness between marathons without a long long run, this was perfect!

I actually signed up for this second one first, I planned out what the slowest training would put me at for a marathon and picked this one, signed up and was super excited. Then training went better than I thought and there was one 5 weeks earlier that I have always wanted to do, I knew I could be ready so I signed up. Hence, two in a short period of time.

Thanks again for responding!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The real questions is whether or not your were properly trained for the first marathon and more importantly how is your recovery coming along?

Personally it took me a while before I could run marathons that close to one another. At one point I was actually using easy paced marathons as long training runs.

I think the real key is to stay flexible and listen to your body. No shame in bumping down the half (if available) or missing the race.

Remember, you are in this for the long haul (I assume), so running smart and staying healthy is key.
  • Erinthebodo
    Options
    The real questions is whether or not your were properly trained for the first marathon and more importantly how is your recovery coming along?

Personally it took me a while before I could run marathons that close to one another. At one point I was actually using easy paced marathons as long training runs.

I think the real key is to stay flexible and listen to your body. No shame in bumping down the half (if available) or missing the race.

Remember, you are in this for the long haul (I assume), so running smart and staying healthy is key.

Good advice! I have no shame in bumping down to the half, I have done it before. I was ready for the first marathon, but honestly not at the pace that I wanted because I do most of my runs with a stroller... which stinks but at the same time it is what allows me to run so, such is life! Hopefully by next year I will be faster :) I agree that listening to your body is important. I started running 4 days after my marathon and felt great, no pain, no injuries, felt great! Thanks again for the advice :)
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options

+1

I ran 2 simi close together, march and June, so not as close as you plan to, but I regret it. I became over trained and injured and I'm not sure I've even recovered yet metally. I think you just have to listen to you body and your mind and ask yourself why? If you just want to redeem your original performance that is not a likely senario since you have no time to train for improved performance. Why not just take to time to properly cycle back into marathon training and knock out some killer halfs in the meantime?
  • Erinthebodo
    Options

+1

I ran 2 simi close together, march and June, so not as close as you plan to, but I regret it. I became over trained and injured and I'm not sure I've even recovered yet metally. I think you just have to listen to you body and your mind and ask yourself why? If you just want to redeem your original performance that is not a likely senario since you have no time to train for improved performance. Why not just take to time to properly cycle back into marathon training and knock out some killer halfs in the meantime?

I am sorry to hear that the close races did not work out well. Were you going for speed? It is not about time for me, I honestly don't care that I am slow. I had a child and almost all of my training is pushing a stroller so I won't be running this one any faster. My goal is to be faster by next spring but this fall is about finishing and feeling good, which I did last time.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No, I decided to run the second at the end of training for my first because I enjoyed my first so much I didn't want training to end and couldn't wait to do it again.

I guess my thing is that unless you are a very seasoned runner the rule of thumb tends to be no more than 2 marathons a year, but spaced at least 4-6 months apart. There are lots of people who do run multiple marathons, but most of them are high milage runners and their bodies are conditioned for this.