Coffee?

Options
So, I've eliminated soy from my diet and started eating lean meats for my protein. I'm working coconut oil into my diet, and staying away from bad carbs. But the one thing I don't want to give up is my coffee! I don't drink an excessive amount, probably 2 cups at the most. I'm drinking it at least an hour after I take my levothyroxin (I'm on 50mcg right now) Is this bad seeing as coffee is a stimulant?

Replies

• panamasammii
    panamasammii Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to Eliminate Coffee at all? My Endo suggested I drink a large cup of coffee at breakfast and then take my Levothyroxine at about 11am with another coffee.

I probably drink about 4 cups a day. I guess if you are worried about caffeine you could switch to Decaf? :sick: !
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The only reason to worry about your coffee is if you have adrenal insufficiency. The addition of thyroid hormones can do the following if your cortisol production is out of whack:

1.) Give you heart palpitations
    2.) Make you shaky
    3.) Make you breathless
    4.) Make you see "stars" when you stand up too quickly etc.

There are all kinds of tests you can do to test your adrenal insufficiency (home-order tests, other tests) and you can find them online.

Otherwise, if your adrenals are doing great, you can keep attacking that coffee :)
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Oh thank God!!! I wasn't sure if it would mess with the levothyroxin because of the caffeine.:drinker:
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I take my meds with water first thing in the morning. Then 30 mins later I have coffee. I usually have 2 cups. I have never noticed any propblems with it.
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The only reason to worry about your coffee is if you have adrenal insufficiency. The addition of thyroid hormones can do the following if your cortisol production is out of whack:

1.) Give you heart palpitations
    2.) Make you shaky
    3.) Make you breathless
    4.) Make you see "stars" when you stand up too quickly etc.

There are all kinds of tests you can do to test your adrenal insufficiency (home-order tests, other tests) and you can find them online.

Otherwise, if your adrenals are doing great, you can keep attacking that coffee :)

Thank you so much for confirming this for me! I gave up coffee after my cortisol levels came back worrisome to my endo. I read somewhere about coffee making it worse. I feel so much better. Those first two weeks were hell though.