New to the Group

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new to the group as well. I have been doing yoga off and on since high school. I used to be quit flexible and hope to gain that back. Right now i have been practicing in the AM but when i start running again that may switch to the PM. I hope to join a class by November (Depending on money)

^
    Hi & welcome ..... and I hear you about the money .... it's always a consideration ..... good luck with the running, too :drinker:

Mary Ann
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad I found this group, I'd love some more Yogi friends on here.

I practice yoga 5 days a week and Pilates 2 days a week, all at home using DVDs. I'll be coming up on my one year anniversary for this in December, and think I've only missed 3 days. :)

I'm done losing weight, but sill like using MFP to keep me honest about my eating and exercise.

Namaste!
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I practice yoga 5 days a week and Pilates 2 days a week, all at home using DVDs.

Hi... what DVDs would you recommend? Our gym has cancelled its yoga classes. I really love it and would like to start practicing at home.

Thanks for your help :flowerforyou:
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga on and off for the last five years or so. I love it so much! I do my practice at home, mostly, and prefer to do it either in early morning or late at night.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would recommend anything by Rodney Yee or Patricia Walden.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I DO NOT KNOW If I am responding to the messages in the group thread that I am trying to respond to. I try to stay active on this site but sometimes forget about it since it doesn't show up in the general news feed. I would definitely say you should get a yoga mat. You can get a decent one for 10 bucks some stores these days. As for fancy yoga clothes of course you don't need them. Just something that won't get in the way or fall over your head when you go upside down! Good luck.
  • mrseholley
    mrseholley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I practice yoga 5 days a week and Pilates 2 days a week, all at home using DVDs.

Hi... what DVDs would you recommend? Our gym has cancelled its yoga classes. I really love it and would like to start practicing at home.

I've used DVD's in the past but I'm finding that I'm less distracted in the class setting. It's "MY" time and I know the phone won't ring and the dog won't bark.
  • odonogc
    Options

Sure! This is my schedule -

Monday
    Bryan Kest Power yoga
    http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341541144&sr=8-1&keywords=bryan+kest+power+yoga

Tuesday
    Baron Baptiste Soul of Strength
    http://www.amazon.com/Baron-Baptiste-Live-Soul-Strength/dp/B00019U9U6/ref=sr_1_9?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341541204&sr=1-9&keywords=baron+baptiste

Wednesday
    Bryan Baptiste Power yoga

Thursday
    Kristen McGee Weight Loss Pilates (This is AWESOME)
    http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Pilates-Kristin-McGee/dp/B001HZ4K7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341541270&sr=1-1&keywords=kristen+mcgee+pilates

Friday
    Kristen McGee Power Yoga
    http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-McGee-Power-Yoga-Mcgee/dp/B000HBKZ52/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341541270&sr=1-7&keywords=kristen+mcgee+pilates

Saturday
    Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior
    http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Harper-Warrior-Darren-Capik/dp/B00429C1VQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341541337&sr=1-1&keywords=bob+harper+yoga

Sunday
    Kristen McGee Weight Loss Pilates

For the two Bryan Kest days, I just rotate through the 3 workouts on his dvd.
  • odonogc
    Options

I've used DVD's in the past but I'm finding that I'm less distracted in the class setting. It's "MY" time and I know the phone won't ring and the dog won't bark.

I know what you mean. Mon - Fri I get up so early that nobody bothers me, but often on the weekend, I have a 6 year old babbling at me or practicing with me. It's cute, but not exactly the same. Luckily, I know all my routines so well, I usually don't miss anything.

I'm so used to practicing at home now though, I'm not sure I could go back to a studio. First of all, it would be a lot more expensive, and second, I'm so used to not interacting with anyone at this point. I close my eyes a lot, which would make me self conscious in a studio, and even just the regular pleasantries you have with people surrounding you seem out of line with the "ME" time I feel during my practice.
  • mrseholley
    mrseholley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the timing. There were times in my last class that I wanted to hold the postures a bit longer and noticed that everyone else was looking at me.
  • astargirlpower
    Options
    hi. I have been practicing on and off for 7 years. I now practice at a studio 4 times a week. I usually practice hatha or sradha yoga. I sort of like the traditional feeling of hatha. trouble poses for me? Handstand, L-pose, forearm balance. I know as i get stronger all these will come in time. I am in no hurry.
  • EleMeleUkulele
    EleMeleUkulele Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello! (or should I say "namaste"? :)) I'm new here in the group and on MFP too. I started practising yoga well, four years ago, but with so many ups and downs I'm still a beginner now (albeit pretty flexible, I went to many dance classes). It's great to find a group where you can (and do) talk about everything related to yoga.

I started frequenting classes again in October, twice a week, in a great school - can't really recommend it to you, though, it's in Poland. ;) Today I've got a cold, but maybe I'll go, if I don't cough and wheeze too much. ;p

Welp, sorry about the long post. I hope I can learn a lot from you guys! :)
  • EleMeleUkulele
    EleMeleUkulele Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Gah! Double post! Sorry about that.

(Great, I'm new and already making a mess...)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Gah! Double post! Sorry about that.

(Great, I'm new and already making a mess...)

^

Hi, honey ...... you're not making a mess ...... you are LEARNING !

I've only been taking yoga classes off & on for about a year ...... but last month decided to begin each morning with 10-20 minutes of yoga to work out the kinks ......

And I go to the gym 5-6 days each week for cardio & weights ....... and to as many yoga classes as my work schedule permits ...... some classes are harder than others & I used to feel badly if I couldn't keep up ...... but now I realize that success is just being there & participating :drinker:

Peace !

Mary Ann in NY
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new here. Just come in from the general battlefield of trying to get heavy lifters to accept yoga as an alternative path to building a fine physique. Largely - they are not biting!
    I am an Anusara student but when home practising I like to mix it up a bit with sessions I find on You Tube: Rodney Yee and Onese1f are favourites.
    Namaste.
  • AlissaFL
    AlissaFL Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I joined this group, but I never introduced myself. My name is Alissa and I have been doing Vinyasa Yoga since June, once a week and Pilates two days a week. Eventually I want to do yoga 3 days a week, but I need to get stronger and have more stamina. I tried yoga, once, about 5 years ago, and didn't think it was for me. I couldn't get into many positions and I certainly couldn't hold them. My wrists hurt and I had no core strength or upper body strength and plantar fasciitis . I am surprised how strong I am, I can feel muscles everywhere and all the balancing has strengthened my arches, so I have less pain. I also have a really great teacher and a really great group in class. And savasana is by far my favorite part...it rejuvenates me for an entire week. Namaste.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    I would start a new topic but I don't know how!

What kinds of yoga do you do?

I learned yoga with an Ashtanga teacher (I think) through a community center class. She was very focused on correct alignment and perfection in the poses. The class went verrry slowly, and she would not move on unless we were all getting the pose right and using a modification if we were not.

I'm glad this was my introduction, but I wanted more of a workout, and not a 90 minute class comprised of 45 minutes of yoga and 45 of warmup stretching and cool down.

After the 8 weeks were over I found a studio nearby offering a Groupon (10 classes for $45!). Turned out to be Power/Vinyasa and it goes soooo fast. I had a lot of difficulty at first even keeping up and figuring out what pose we were moving to (sanskrit names most of the time) but now I get it easily and can just focus on what I started -- proper alignment, strength,and grace in my transitions.

I have an unlimited membership and I go about 5 times a week. I've done as much as 6 but I definitely need at least one day off.

I love leaving everything on the mat. I love that I can't think about anything else while I'm there.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    :tongue:

I really wish this group was more active. :(

Me too. I have a million ideas for topics but I don't know how to start one.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    :tongue:

I really wish this group was more active. :(

Me too. I have a million ideas for topics but I don't know how to start one.

Go to the group's main page, scroll past the topic list, there will be a green button called "new topic"

Here's a topic that you were looking for, but there are many more people in this group now, so you could post a new one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/456102-what-s-your-favorite-type-of-yoga-practice-and-why
  • AlissaFL
    AlissaFL Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think a new topic would be great! I like the one asking what kind of yoga we do.

Answer: Vinyasa yoga. I started with this one because that is what my teacher taught and I'm glad I did. This is so much fun and so challenging. I love when she comes by to stretch us further or help us get aligned, but mainly that she is so encouraging! I like how the flows build and all I can do is just try to get to the correct pose while sweating non stop. Such a fantastic workout!