Struggling with Up Days

Options
I am relatively new to this and finding it really easy most of the time....I thought I would find the down days the challenging ones but thats not the case - I find those easy as I dont have to think about food at all. But occasionally i really struggle with the up days....like today, where I end up eating everything and anything in large quantities just because I can, like today....cereal...toast x 6 with chocolate spread, biscuits and then ice cream and am still thinking "what else can I eat?"

Is this normal and will I get passed it because otherwise I will just be undoing all the good on the down days! Its very frustrating.

Replies

• sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, it IS normal. And it is soooo frustrating. I nearly always go over my cal limit! Today I am trying graizing for the first half of the day. I made oatmeal with cinnamon and fresh berries and will nibble on that throughout the morning. Then I have a banana and salad roll for lunch which will leave me over 1000 cal to 'go wild:drinker: ' tonight. I am avoiding sugar as that sets me off. I think you have to just try different things out to see what works. I'm on week 7 so it doesn't happen overnight! Good luck :smile:
  • SparklingLashes
    SparklingLashes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Aweee thanks....it is very frustrating....but I am so pleased that a DD always follows and then I find that one easy! I have tried to just splurge extra calories on my weigh day and then giving myself over a week to counteract it!

Glad to hear its normal though - and look forward to DD tomorrow when I feel I am being good again!
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The science suggests that on average people over consume by 10% on their up days.

I can't really comment too much because I don't really count calories on my up days....plus I'm now doing lots more exercise.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I try to save as many cal for dinner because I just get through my DD so much easier if i go to bed on a full stomach the night before.

Mermer - I think I go over by 20%, and try and exercise it off!

I am finding the lower the DD cal, the better the result on the scale. I read Dr. J's book last week, and he says that it is more important (staying under your DD cal) than staying under you UD (although you can't go nuts-crazy:devil: ). The low calories is what activates your sirt genes or something, and over time that pool fills up and when it starts over flowing, bang! I think thats where I am now. Bursting with energy, and minimal hunger (or hunger I can control) on DD's. Keep at it, it takes awhile :wink:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I find that if I stick to my UD calories, as well as my DD calories, I lose quite well. I enter my foods before I eat them so I always know how many calories I have to "play" with. I'm NOT one of the lucky ones who can eat whatever I want, in whatever quantities, on an UD and still lose. I didn't get fat in the first place by being moderate in my eating, and could easily eat 3000 calories on an UD.
  • investit
    investit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I see this is an older discussion but I have the same issue. It isn't because I am hungry or really even craving anything, I find it is more because my mind is telling me hurry up and eat it because you can't have it tomorrow….
    I don't have any issues on my "fast" days and I mostly look forward to them and I get more done those days but my "feed" days I think about food more and feel like I want to have everything I can't have the next day.

I am going to try eating more "good" fats early on the "feed" days and see if that helps me stay away from wanting to stuff my face :)