Newbs

Options
rebecca9341
rebecca9341 Posts: 66 Member
After ignoring ALL my symptoms and chalking them up to normal life, I found myself with a goiter last Thursday. Went to the doc Friday and have gotten my lab results in today. Its official, I have hypothyroidism ( no surprise there). I picked up my Synthroid just a few minutes ago and read through the medication information that came with it, but am wondering how far apart I should space it with my birth control? I do have a regular check-up scheduled with my OBGYN Wednesday, so I will hopefully get more questions answered at that point....So relieved my PCP called in a prescription, thought I'd have to wait another month till I get in with my new endocrinologist. If i weren't already tired, all these doctors appt surely would have made me :)

Who new i wasn't just tired from being a nursing student!!! Thanks for the help!

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Glad you got everything sorted out! I have a question about your goiter (I feel like i'm developing one now). How did you notice it. Was it literally seeing it, or feeling something off?
  • rebecca9341
    Options
    you can't see mine if my neck is in its normal position. I tilted my head back and just happened to feel my neck and noticed my thyroid gland was enlarged. If I hyperextend my neck, its noticeable. So tilt your head back, if you feel a lump on around your neck you may have a goiter. Look in the mirror while you're doing it. Remember, its shaped like a butterfly, so think about that when feeling your neck. You should not be able to see of feel your thyroid.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I can see something there for sure when I lean my neck back, and constantly feel like something stuck in my throat
  • rebecca9341
    Options
    sounds to me like a goiter, I'd go to your doctor.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Take synthroid with glass of water and wait 1 hour to eat. Also, adding cytomel will help with fatigue. Speak with your doctor about this. The endocrinologist will be able to find the correct dose. It can take up to a year to get the dose correct. Hope this helps. You also need a thyroid scan to see what is going on, not just pills.
  • rebecca9341
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information! Thyroid scan is scheduled for tomorrow.