Weird event last night

Options
SherryRH
SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
Last night my husband and I were out for our anniversary. We were walking around a local town for their fall festival for a few hours. We stopped at a little restaurant for a small bite and a drink. I had a pumpkin martini but I only had one and we shared some soup and an appetizer. After our break we walked around some more and about 3 hours later we did a ghost tour of an old jail. Standing in line I didn't feel 100% but it wasn't that bad. We get our tickets and go in and just when we start the tour my head starts spinning and I have to hold on to my husband to keep from falling to the ground. I did this twice in the span of 5 minutes. I think I may have actually passed out because I don't really remember too much other than people asking my husband if I was alright.

I remember being very disoriented, sweaty and clammy at the same time. Would this be a reaction to low blood sugar? After this happened, I sat down for a few minutes and then felt totally fine. We did leave and went to go eat dinner and I felt fine the rest of the night. Has this happened to anyone else? I know that alcohol can lower your blood sugar as well as doing a lot of walking.

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm no medic but I would suggest that you get a check out from your Dr. There could be a number of reasons for the symptoms you describe but your Dr would be the one best placed to make an assessment.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There can be a number of things causing this. Low BG can be one, blood pressure can be another. I agree with Robert to see your doctor and check things out. Let us know how things go.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Going to the doctor this afternoon for my throat issues (sore since last week and only getting worse) and I am going to ask him about the episode that happened on Saturday.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Are you on insulin or a medication that stimulates insulin production? The symptoms are very consistent with a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) episode. The combination of alcohol, insulin or medication and insufficient carbohydrate intake can bring it on
  • SherryRH
    Options
    I went to the doctor and he said I had a sinus infection even though only on side of the head hurt. He says it can happen. Got some antibiotics and hopefully I will feel better in a few days.

I asked him about the events on Saturday and he said that the alcohol (even though it was a couple of hours later, being diabetic, and in an enclosed small area cause my blood pressure to drop and that is what caused me to pass out. Once I got out of the room I was in and sat down for a few minutes I was fine. He said that was normal too so it wasn't low blood sugar but a drop in my blood pressure. I guess I will need to watch that when I drink.
  • StephDuffney
    StephDuffney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you are diabetic, you should never drink. it will bottom out your bg in a hart beat.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If drinking alcohol were all it took to keep my bg down, I'd be an alcoholic. lol. It does have some effect, but for me, not enough to make a difference unless I don't eat.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had it and it is scary. I now keep a jar of peanut butter in my vehicle. I was actually driving home with my daughter in tha car. She kept saying turn here mom. I finally recognized a Walmart and knew to turn. I went over 5 miles out of the way and didn't even recognize my subdivision when I drove into it. I had lost weight and was taking my medication, but my glucose level kept dropping. I have had a similar episode and I needed protein. I used to do carbs but my sugar would go up and then drop so low. Good luck.