DO You Use Stevia?

Options
LeidaPrimal
LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
Just wondering how many people use Stevia/not use Stevia and if it hinders fat loss for them? Experience off and on Stevia?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't add stevia to anything because I'm not really one for finding "substitutes". I just got used to things not being sweet. There is stevia in the flavoured protein powder (but I always mix with 50/50 with unflavoured) that I use and also in the Now Vita Squenchers that I only have once in awhile.

If I did buy stevia, I would try to get it in a form that is minimally processed. Truvia is a Coca Cola product and I think Pepsi makes one similar. Generally, the occasional times that I use a sweetener it is raw honey, raw sugar, or maple syrup and usually half what the recipe calls for. I'd rather still have my coffee with just cream, a dab of honey on rare occasion (maybe once per month) then try to get used to it with stevia.

So, I do consume some stevia but not very much. I haven't noticed any problems. I would think, like anything, that eating a large amount might not be beneficial, but I don't know first-hand.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No. Stevia is a different kind of sugar and therefore sugar is a sugar. Stevia, honey, raw sugar cane, maple, HFCS, fruits, and all of it is a sugar.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I do on occassion. Maybe I am wrong, but it was my understanding that Stevia is a natural sweetener. It is derived from a plant. There isn't anything artificial about it.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't but I think it tastes nasty...

If I want something a touch sweeter I use honey - if you go this way find local honey and pay the extra $$$ - so much better (of all the people my dentist is actually a beekeeper and jars his own honey so we buy it from him - I suspect that is a way to keep himself in business...selling his clients natural sugar :) )
  • Jindra12
    Options

If I want something a touch sweeter I use honey - if you go this way find local honey and pay the extra $$$ - so much better (of all the people my dentist is actually a beekeeper and jars his own honey so we buy it from him - I suspect that is a way to keep himself in business...selling his clients natural sugar :) )

If he knew you brought tons of his honey then he'll know why you need him as a dentist for you, at least he knows what went wrong with you. ;) I do find this little funny but that's a smart move on his part.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Stevia is a plant. I have it on my porch, actually. Some of them have various chemicals added, so you have to watch for that. Trader Joe's bottle of it does not. I use it in my tea mostly.

I use honey when baking.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    While artificial sweeteners do not have calories, they DO still produce an insulin response - and minimizing that insulin response is one of the main reasons we avoid sugars and carbs in the first place. Don't use it, and learn to eat with the natural sweetness of foods and fruits.

As for the 'naturalness' of stevia:

- if you are using the leaf, then yeah, it's natural.
    - if you are using stevia extract (leaf steeped in alcohol), then it's still pretty much natural.
    - if you are buying a powdered stevia product from the store, it is a manufactured food - the active ingredient of stevia is isolated and extracted, and then mixed with fillers and anti-caking agents. Not natural in my eyes.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The fella above me is right but I do have stevia packets that I use very very rarely. If I have iced tea in the evening I'll put a half a packet to a glass. I have coffee in the mornings with just half&half.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

^Agree with this. I tried it, I admit. But it was not good IMO.

I always thought the same thing about Stevia when it came to it's Paleo-ness, similar to what MonkeyDharma said. If it's in leaf form, I might use it but I don't know if growing it is worth the trouble since I'd hardly use it. I've gotten used to my unsweetened tea now, especially peppermint, kombucha, and green teas.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    While artificial sweeteners do not have calories, they DO still produce an insulin response - and minimizing that insulin response is one of the main reasons we avoid sugars and carbs in the first place. Don't use it, and learn to eat with the natural sweetness of foods and fruits.

As for the 'naturalness' of stevia:

- if you are using the leaf, then yeah, it's natural.
    - if you are using stevia extract (leaf steeped in alcohol), then it's still pretty much natural.
    - if you are buying a powdered stevia product from the store, it is a manufactured food - the active ingredient of stevia is isolated and extracted, and then mixed with fillers and anti-caking agents. Not natural in my eyes.

Most excellent post. I think I love you.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It is in my egg white protein powder. I don't think it has hindered weight loss.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any problems with fatloss and using stevia. I know Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt did a study with Pepsi Max recently where he tested his blood ketone levels. Here is the article if you are interested http://www.dietdoctor.com/is-pepsi-max-bad-for-your-weight Basically he found that the artificial sweeteners do lower your blood ketone levels. I don't know if stevia would do the same, but I would suspect it would just because the brain recognizes it as sweet and will release insulin. It would be a good n=1 experiment.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe that stevia canada just posted on Facebook. Looks Primal friendly to me. I have yet to try it, but I think I will. I'll likely use Almond butter instead of the peanuts though.

1 stick butter
    1oz unsweetened chocolate
    1/2 tsp Stevia Max powder
    1 TBSP heavy cream
    4 TBSP peanut butter
    chopped walnuts (optional)

Melt butter, chocolate and stevia in microwave. Stir in cream and peanut butter. Pour into 10 lined cupcake tins (or 6 large) and sprinkle with nuts. Freeze! Eat frozen for a great treat!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Stevia is not a sugar, it is an herb.

And it does not produce an insulin response.

Hope that helps.
  • Jindra12
    Options

And it does not produce an insulin response.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure it doesn't produce an insulin response?
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Alas, I've sold out and went to the art sweeteners world for now. Cleaning up will be hell, of course, but Lyle has my soul right now, so sticking to the deficits I need for 2 months, I gotta give an inch. Oh, well. See if I can get to the target & then do a saintly clean up for a month or two and stick to no sweeteners and coffee from then on for a while... Heh, it's the cycle of life.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

...and sugar beets are a root vegetable, and sugar cane is a grass. What does being an 'herb' have to do with anything?
  • mejenniferd
    mejenniferd Posts: 18 Member
    Options

...and sugar beets are a root vegetable, and sugar cane is a grass. What does being an 'herb' have to do with anything?

:flowerforyou:
    Exactly what I was thinking.
  • mejenniferd
    mejenniferd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe that stevia canada just posted on Facebook. Looks Primal friendly to me. I have yet to try it, but I think I will. I'll likely use Almond butter instead of the peanuts though.

1 stick butter
    1oz unsweetened chocolate
    1/2 tsp Stevia Max powder
    1 TBSP heavy cream
    4 TBSP peanut butter
    chopped walnuts (optional)

Melt butter, chocolate and stevia in microwave. Stir in cream and peanut butter. Pour into 10 lined cupcake tins (or 6 large) and sprinkle with nuts. Freeze! Eat frozen for a great treat!

Peanuts are legumes. Not primal.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    that's why I was going to use almond butter instead.