What style MA do you do and what are you currently learning?

Options

Replies

• tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I really want to learn bjj.......but it is not currently offered anywhere near me. Two weeks I started taking muay thai. The instructor is really good. I really like it. The classes kick my *kitten*. Lets me know I'm not in as good a shape as I like to think I am. Also motivates me to train harder during the week.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yang style Tai Chi

Currently, I'm relearning the sword form, and practicing the related warm up exercises. My shoulders have been bothering me off and on for the past couple years, so I decided that the light weight and controlled range of motion involved would help sort those out. So far, so good. It's been several years since I last practiced sword work, so I've been retranslating the moves I remember by adding the new things I've learned since then.

There are no belts in Tai Chi, and as I understand, the standard Chinese greeting is something along the lines of "Your Tai Chi is no good." You just shrug and keep practicing anyway.

Most people recognize that Tai Chi has forms, which are like long, slow, katas. It can take months to learn a form, provided that you practice and work at it. Once you have the form memorized, then you can pat yourself on the back for completing kindergarten. From there more layers of refinement are added until your pretty dance turns into an actual workout that will make you sweat. The kicker of it is that the casual observer can't tell the difference between doing it for show and the real thing, but your sifu can, or should. The form isn't Tai Chi. Tai Chi is what you put into the form. It retrains all of your movements from the inside out.

There are also push-hands classes to practice sparring using the 'powers' you learned from the form, which in turn improves your form once you've seen how it works in action. Push hands helps you to develop 'powers' also. And...my goal is to get back into that side of it when my shoulders can handle it. Hard to have a decent ward off otherwise.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    when i first started way back when... it was itf/ustf taekwondo.. where i got up to red belt doing hwa rang...and yes probably killed the spelling.. itf is general choi hong hi.. style and group.. ustf is just here in the states and they are the guys u see doing all the sign wave stuff. which i had to do for a while. then due to lack of funds i cldnt advance and then had to drop and then go away to school and work and etc etc etc..lol... in that time i did a bit of kajekenbo.. yes that spelling i know i killed..lol.. did a bit kenpo karate.. and i did a bit of kungfu with friends.

a year ago.. i started taking tkd again but at a different school. so i am considered a transfer..ugh..lol so stuck at white tell i relearn and get back up to where i was. this is baileys tae kwon do.

the itf/ustf class to advance and such..had to memorise some book stuff, step sparring, reg sparring, breaking, forms, then when u got up to where i was you had to start doing coriography. i hate my spelling..lol at that point advancement was a big deal and a lot went in to it.

here at baileys we use all the same patterns as itf with no sign wave. for advanvement pretty basic.. go thru a class spar break do ur pattern and thats about it.. how ever sparring here is non contact only which is no biggy but if in a tourney and i imagine advancement?? if u barely hit some one u will lose the match automaticly?? not sure how that works exactly..but now matter how skilled u r contact is going to happen.. so i will see how that goes..just wished they did a bit of padded sparring as well..

and to the op... there is also olympic tkd which to me is retarded...lol... same as just boring old boxing... the punch they hug they punch they hug.... well instead of punch it is know kick and hug. they dont do much for blocking if at all and dont use their hands... first time i saw a match i was like wow this should be cool... and then i was like what the heck is this??..lol
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Updating my op. we have started learning the curriculum for the new belt. So far it is all a bit fancy- the pattern has lots of cat stance and double knife hands and double blocks. The kicks are climbing hook kick and front face counter, the lock is scissor lock. So far a lot of fun!
  • MuayThaiGrrrl
    Options
    I do Muay Thai Boxing and it is the best therapy in the world!!! I don't go nearly as often as I want to, but everytime our gym hosts a fight, I get incredibly jealous when I see the girls who are fighting. THAT SHOULD BE ME FIGHTING!! That is MY fight and I WANT IT!! Maybe it's good for those intermittent pangs of jealousy that help serve as reminders for what I really want and maybe it will help me to start training more regularly and work harder. I get frustrated that I still have SO MUCH weight to lose (about 100 lbs) and I have a LONG way to go. I need to remember to take it one day at a time, but keep my eye on the prize.

On a different note, I'm so excited to be a part of your group!! :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Muay Thai is what got me into fighting too. Now I've had 2 mma fights and 1 muay thai fight, and looking to get another in a month.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing, just got my orange belt last week, so not grading for green for 6 months now. So in the meantime I'm going to refine and perfect all my orange belt stuff (crescent kick, spinning side kick, ridgehand etc) and learn some of the green belt stuff which I can't remember as I don't have the syllabus on me, but I'm sure axe kick and double round kick come in to it, plus 2x2 minute rounds each of sparring, bag work and skipping to prepare for. Luckily I know those already as we mix it all up in training, it's just getting comfortable with them for grading.

Plus I've got to massively improve my sparring! I entered my first competition a few weeks ago and I came 2nd in points, but got battered in continuous!! Still, can't wait for the next one lol!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Jujutsu, MMA and just recently Muay Thai

I could happily give up work and train everyday
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Updating my op. we have started learning the curriculum for the new belt. So far it is all a bit fancy- the pattern has lots of cat stance and double knife hands and double blocks. The kicks are climbing hook kick and front face counter, the lock is scissor lock. So far a lot of fun!

Are you doing Joon-Gun? We did that as a tribute form a couple of cycles ago. Our national association is completely Americanized and uses a novel progressive form. However, every cycle we get to learn a Korean form, and red and black belts have to test on it as well as the progressive form. Now we're doing Choong-moo.

@Lord Bear.. we don't do the sine wave, either. It looks funny to me now. I agree that the Olympic sparring did look silly. And I think we like the same books...
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hello all!! I do several arts, including; Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, Tao Ryu Jujitsu, Lerdrit, Muay Chao Chur, Geron Bahala na Escrima, Bare Knuckle Boxing, Boar Bando, Simultaneous Close Quarter Combat, Combat Knife Fighting...

What are we learning right now...hmmm...well every night is different. Thursday night I focused a lot on BKB, footwork, drills (knees/elbows), shadowing, combos on the bag, bone conditioning. Friday night was a lot of Jujitsu techniques, both from Danzan and from Tao, and we finished with some knife work. Who knows what Monday will bring...
  • kitsuneandy
    Options
    I do the Choy Li Fut style of Kung Fu. Have my orange fringe and am just learning my forms for the next grading. Five Wheel Horse, Five Wheel Fist and Nine Star.

We learn a lot of different blocks, takedowns, joint locks and strikes in all of our classes as well as doing a lot of conditioning work.

Once I've done my next grade, I'll start training with weapons as well.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ours is the Ho-Am traditional Taekwondo. We are broken up into cubs, juniors and adults. We work on fitness, board breaking, E-CAS sparring, traditional sparring, occasionally pressure points, and forms. We test every two months. Sometimes you move up, and sometimes there is a no-change if the instructor feels you don't have a full grasp of what you need to know.

I'm sure there are others who can put it more eloquently than I can.

All I know is my instructors are out to kill me. Hahaha
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Krav Maga through Krav Maga Worldwide. We have a level system, although we still colloquially refer to them as belts (we don't wear a uniform). The standard levels run 1-7, or White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown and Black, with Black and above reserved as invite-only tests, typically for instructors.

Worldwide has published an incredibly useful book that outlines all of the techniques and curriculum from levels 1-7. The gym I attend offers several fitness classes in addition to Krav classes, and I try to make it 2-3 times a week.

How the classes are run depends a bit on the instructor, and heavily on the level. Level 1, for example, features more cardio and fitness in the beginning of class than does any other level, and the lesson is typically broken into some combination of a short-range (e.g. elbow strikes), medium-range, (e.g. straight punches) and long-range weapon (e.g. groin kicks), and a choke defense that combines the techniques covered. Level 3, by contrast, heavily emphasizes sparring and significantly reduces the time spent on general fitness and conditioning.

In every class, we spend some time discussing self-defense, situational awareness, some of the ways we might apply the knowledge, and how things would be different on the street.

Here are some of the things we're covering in this level:

- Offensive back kicks
    - Heel kicks, slap kicks
    - Headbutts
    - Bearhug defenses
    - General defense, high and low
    - Inside and outside defenses
    - Falls and rolls
    - Ground fighting
    - Sparring
  • taylorbrown1792
    taylorbrown1792 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Learning and loving Hapkido
  • rstoliker
    Options
    Learning and loving Hapkido

Are you doing Traditional Hapkido? or Combat Hapkido? I took Combat Hapkido a while back...really enjoyed it!
  • 8limbedpanda
    Options
    I know I've put TKD as my work out, but I really do Muay Thai. And I love it, its really becoming a passion of mine :)
  • Gary844
    Gary844 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai and Kickboxing on/off for 2 years looking to compete in March 2013.

Add me to your friends list I welcome advice and support.

Cheers
  • Jay214
    Jay214 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a TKD blackbelt. now I'm training judo and bjj
  • atongthegreat
    Options
    I've been training Muay Thai for 2 years now. I also box once in a while.
  • jazzynazzy1992
    jazzynazzy1992 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lots of people training in Muay Thai... fantastic ! (is it because of those awesome shorts you get for fights .. hahaha)..

Currently I am also training Muay Thai and occasionally going to boxing classes.
    Used to train in Judo and Karate and would love to eventually go to MMA... but need to get through my first Muay Thai fight before i decide :P