Lifting on a Calorie Deficit

Options
Momwasix
Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
I have read you need to eat more with lifting for strength wise but if your on a deficit cause your goal is weight loss how does lifting on a deficit effects you if you lift on a deficit. Have you had to eat more even though your goal was to lose weight.

Replies

• juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    all depends on how big your deficit is. cutting 500+ cals from TDEE made my lifts really weak. keep your deficit around 250 and you'll still be able to make gains in strength while still being able to cut. if you want to have a larger deficit, then you just won't be able to lift as heavy. all depends on what's important to you.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I cut about 400 from my TDEE and I feel weaker. I can still lift, but it's a noticiable difference and well it's not always fun. But what are ya gonna do? I wanna lose some pudge so a little weaker I shall be.
    For example, when I was eating at or a tad above my TDEE I benched 155 lbs for 2 reps, and now I struggle with 135-140 lbs. It's noticeable to me and a tad discouraging what with not being able to lift more.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I cut about 400 from my TDEE and I feel weaker. I can still lift, but it's a noticiable difference and well it's not always fun. But what are ya gonna do? I wanna lose some pudge so a little weaker I shall be.
    For example, when I was eating at or a tad above my TDEE I benched 155 lbs for 2 reps, and now I struggle with 135-140 lbs. It's noticeable to me and a tad discouraging what with not being able to lift more.
    DAYUMMM GIRL!!! bench 135? BAD *kitten* CHICK!!!
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm scare of you lol. Wow thats awesome what was your staring weight you lift with
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm on a deficit (around 500 cals) and have no problems lifting heavy or feeling weak.
    Pb bench is 132lbs @ 3 reps too
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Keep your deficit small and you'll be fine.

Building actual muscle tissue requires excess calories. Improving in strength (at least while you're in the earlier stages) you should have no problem with in a deficit, as long as it's not too large.

ETA: I doubled my strength in most lifts when I first started out, all while in a deficit and losing weight.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll be a bit contrarian....when I started eating "more", I did put on scale-weight. Yep, my shape was changing, which was good, but then even THAT stalled - and I was *still* gaining scale-weight.

That is how I spent Dec/11 - mid-Sept/12.

For me, I feel *strong*, now, and am going to keep lifting as heavy as I can. But, I also want my fat to melt away....so, I *am* eating at a deficit. The weight is coming off (slowly). I am not making many "gains" on the strength-side, but I'm not losing any, either. I'm in a plateau there, which I can deal with.

I want my muscles to show!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am cutting 500 from my TDEE and my lifts don't seem to be suffering, but who knows, maybe I could be lifting more.

My BP is only at 100 lbs for one rep, maybe 110 if I'm lucky. I struggle with 8 reps at 85 lbs which is the weight I am working with right now and I'm having a hard time doing that.