Does this work for obese?

Options
awerewka
awerewka Posts: 151 Member
Starting to doubt my calorie goal....keep wanting to lower it.

Losing very slowly, like .5lbs/week!

I'm 215lbs 5'8" and do 3-4 days of cardio 25-50 min!

I see so many people losing so much faster and I am getting discouraged.

Calories are set for 1700/day but a few days a week it's about 1900.

Replies

• prisan512
    prisan512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What weight training are you doing?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

First off, a half pound a week is perfect. This is not meant to be quick weight loss. A half pound a week means you are likely preserving the muscle that you have while losing fat.

I started Em2WL at around 200 lbs (obese for me as I am only 5'2). I am now 186. It took me 6 months to lose 15 lbs. BUT I have had my muscle mass monitored and I have not lost any muscle, ALL FAT. I lift heavy weights and I eat between 1850-1950 cals.
  • awerewka
    Options
    I am not doing any weight training as of yet. Just whatever I get from 30 day shred and Biggest loser cardio max (which incorporates some weights) Only using 5lb right now. Thought cardio would be enough for now until I am more in shape. I literally went from NO exercise to 3-4 sometimes 5 days a week of cardio.

I have had a bad few days as well with my food choices. Going to really focus on protein, fiber and sodium this coming week. I think it is really contributing to the slow loss.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Honestly there is never a better time to begin weights. Weights will get you into shape faster than cardio. Cardio depletes your muscles as well as fat and only burns calories while you are doing it for the most part. Whereas strength training has an after burn effect to keep you burning calories long after your workout is over.

And 30 day shred is a great beginner strength video! After my first baby I lost 17 inches in 20 days doing that video. If you have access to heavier weights I would begin to add that in as well. Your body will change so quickly. The scale doesn't move as fast but you will drop pant sizes and inches really quickly, especially if you are new to lifting or having done it in a long time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Did you base the BMR estimate, the foundation to everything, on Harris BMR calc, Mifflin (5% more accurate and especially when overweight), or best Katch BMR using bodyfat% estimate?

The Harris BMR when overweight easily inflates by 200-300 calories compared to Mifflin, which still could be 400 more than best Katch BMR.

Use this site and the bodyfat% tool if you don't have an estimate, take the avg.

Then use the BMR tool to compare the Katch and Harris BMR's. MFP will show you the Mifflin estimate.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

How much spread between them, like what you originally used to set your goals, to the best Katch?

Because 200 cal inflated there means 310 inflated on TDEE, and still 248 inflated after deficit. There's another 1/2 lb a week that could be realistically lost.
  • awerewka
    Options
    I used fat2fit and Scoobys and BMR was approx 1750ish! I will try the site you have suggested.

Once I feel comfortable enough I am going to join the gym here and do some weights! :)
  • awerewka
    Options
    Ok this site says my BMR is 1615. Hmm!

What do you suggest I do? Currently set at 1700.

MFP says 1721
    Other one is 1759
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yes this does work for obese. Unfortunately that's my label right now - blech! Anyways, in order to figure out your proper cut number, we need to know more than BMR. We need to also get your TDEE. If you don't mind sharing your age, I could run your stats for you so that we could get all of your numbers figured out.
  • awerewka
    Options
    Yes this does work for obese. Unfortunately that's my label right now - blech! Anyways, in order to figure out your proper cut number, we need to know more than BMR. We need to also get your TDEE. If you don't mind sharing your age, I could run your stats for you so that we could get all of your numbers figured out.

5'8" 31yrs 2 days/wk 30 day shred or cardio max and 2 days per week 30-50min walks. Work is a desk job.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I ran your numbers. I used Scooby.

BMR - 1758
    TDEE -2725
    15% cut - 2316

I used moderate activity level for you based on how often you're working out. So if you are wanting to go right to your cut you'd want to eat 2316 calories a day. On days that you workout, just make sure to net over BMR. So if you have a really high burn, you might have to eat more than your cut amount. It can be confusing because different calculators will give you different numbers. The best thing to do is pick one and be consistent for a good month or so. Give it time before evaluating whether or not it's working and/or numbers need to be tweaked.

Good luck. EM2WL is definitely a gear change from other ways of losing weight, but it does work. Consistency is key!
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok this site says my BMR is 1615. Hmm!

What do you suggest I do? Currently set at 1700.

MFP says 1721
    Other one is 1759

So see, you based the TDEE on the worst inflated BMR. The better one, based on bodyfat%, is lower.

Use the Katch at 1615. Scooby has this one also, just have to select it and enter a BF%.

Don't use the fat2fit site, as it ONLY uses the worst Harris BMR estimate. it asks for your BF%, but doesn't actually use it in table of goals.

So with BMR of 1615.
    TDEE of 90 min of Moderate walking and 120 min of Heavy cardio weekly is 2214.

So this is a case of 4 days of workouts, but obviously walking is no where near the level of the classes and shouldn't be counted the same. Besides which, not even reaching 3 hrs of exercise a week anyway.

20% deficit is appropriate now with amount to lose, so daily gross goal stops at 1613 so as not to go below BMR.

Just don't go over those time limits for walking or the classes. Oh, keep the walking below 4mph.

So you have 3 days a week of recovery you might say.

And I really don't see the reason to start the math with an already known inflated figure when you have a better one available. If that was the case, shoot, just make up a TDEE of 3000 and eat at 2400 to keep the math simple.
  • awerewka
    Options
    So haybales, correct me if I am wrong...20% of 2214 is approximately 1750! I should set my cals to that and if I burn under 1615 to eat back up to that?
  • awerewka
    Options
    I ran your numbers. I used Scooby.

BMR - 1758
    TDEE -2725
    15% cut - 2316

I used moderate activity level for you based on how often you're working out. So if you are wanting to go right to your cut you'd want to eat 2316 calories a day. On days that you workout, just make sure to net over BMR. So if you have a really high burn, you might have to eat more than your cut amount. It can be confusing because different calculators will give you different numbers. The best thing to do is pick one and be consistent for a good month or so. Give it time before evaluating whether or not it's working and/or numbers need to be tweaked.

Good luck. EM2WL is definitely a gear change from other ways of losing weight, but it does work. Consistency is key!

Thanks so much for your help and time to run my numbers! I am just so confused with all the advice and don't want to over or under estimate my tdee!
  • heybales
    Options
    Sorry yes, had the calculator with someone else's TDEE still in it, your other stats were in it too.

1771 is daily goal, 20% deficit to 2214.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • heybales
    Options
    So haybales, correct me if I am wrong...20% of 2214 is approximately 1750! I should set my cals to that and if I burn under 1615 to eat back up to that?

Within 24 hrs after the workout if the normal diet doesn't take care of it.

Usually that is only a factor if you workout hard 6 days a week, you'd never get a recovery day.

Your schedule though, hard work one day, almost rest the next. So bigger deficit from workout one day, much less the next.
    Net affect is between the 2 days, you didn't go below your BMR.
  • awerewka
    Options
    Awesome thanks :)
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I work at a fast food restaurant and I stand on my feet taking cash and sometimes getting people their orders for a 6-8 hr shift. I do this two times a week on average. What would you consider this?
  • heybales
    Options
    I work at a fast food restaurant and I stand on my feet taking cash and sometimes getting people their orders for a 6-8 hr shift. I do this two times a week on average. What would you consider this?

Use the spreadsheet found in this post.

TDEE calc 1A allows you to put in time for different levels of work and exercise. Because you bet that counts.

But no other formal exercise?

It's a little less than Lightly Active all by itself.
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add a couple of things. First, yes, it does work for obese people. If you want to lose the weight quickly, this isn't for you, but if you want to look better and feel better longterm, then definitely stick around. I've been doing EM2WL for almost six months, and I've lost a total of 23 pounds -- a little less than a pound a week. But I look better and feel better, have lost a lot of belly fat and am wearing smaller clothes.

The second thing is to listen to heybales. I really believe he knows what he is talking about, and he was a huge help to me recently when I was trying to figure out some things based on some sort of heinous information I was given by a dietitian.
  • awerewka
    Options
    Of course I would LOVE it to come off faster but I tried the Low Cal and it is not for me. :)