Keto Flu: The Return

Options
maremare312
maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
Oh dear goodness, I went on a carb binge last week and got back into low carb a few days ago. I am now suffering through a worse version of the keto flu than I did the first time. Seriously, feel so bad, slept for 14 hours last night, woke up tired, and have been having trouble thinking all day. Not awesome since I am on online tutor who can have up to 3 students at the same time and I seriously need to be able to multi-task. Ugh. Just had some dinner with extra salt and some parmesan cheese and am going to slurp some high sodium Miso soup in a bit.

In short, don't do this to yourself, people! The memory of this should stop any carb sampling/binging I might think about in the future.

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have some potassium and magnesium with your sodium, and drink ,like, a gallon of water!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Am going to buy some of that fake salt at the grocery store! I feel a lot better today already!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have full sympathy, I had carbs at the weekend, the carbs made me feel like crap and the dreaded carb flu, However I'm guessing I got into ketosis today (I'll check when home) but my energy levels have gone through the roof. Going to go do some extra hiit training after work yey!
  • TheNikster98
    Options
    A friend of mine is also doing keto and when she carb binges (which is surprisingly often), she goes and runs for 30 minutes. Rarely does she get kicked out of ketosis as a result of doing cardio right after the carb binge. It's the only correlation I've observed between the carb binges and not suffering an adverse reaction. I myself have not tried this method - I don't like to work out, so I just avoid carbs. But may be something to keep in mind next time you slip up!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I do that before going to the gym, it's called Targeted Ketogenic Dieting. If you just have a carb cheat day every week or ten days, it's Cyclical Ketogenic Dieting.

Some people can lift heavy things or run for hours on just keto with no extra carbs. I can run for a long time, but if I'm gonna lift, I need carbs about an hour before hitting the gym to accomplish anything useful. It also helps me run faster if not longer.