Testing into your belt/ranking...

Options
JephaMooi
JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
I was just wondering how other schools do there testing and rankings?

Starting to feel like my school is money hungry and not committed to acknowledging when someone has clearly surpassed expectations.

When I asked about when to be tested for a new belt the sensei was just like "oh we will let you know once you've reached the 30 days and just kinda watch you in class"

WTF!? I feel really cheated right now.

Other places single you out for testing, have specific requirements, etc.

Any information would be nice.

Replies

• ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My club does it do that all coloured belts do the same curriculum, they just have higher expectations for the higher levels. So we grade all together 4 times a year. If you don't go at least 2, mostly 3 times a week, you won't know enough to grade. If that is the case, you miss out. People usually know they aren't prepared. At grading we are divided into belt colours and run through the curriculum for an hour and a half with a different examiner watching a small group. If you can't make the grading you can do it by yourself a bit later, but not too far into the next term. Black is different
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    In our style you have a set number of days or hours that you have to do to be eligible to test, but testing is up to the instructor and generally the student is asked to test. First grading is around 6-9 months of steady practice and the the period of time between tests typically grows. Most dedicated students find themselves testing for their first Dan grade atabout 7-8 years this way.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    At my school it's at my instructor's discretion as to when we test............ and he mentions that constantly! Also, attendence is a factor as well, which makes sense since you need to be there frequently in order to absorb the curriculum. I go twice a week, which is plentiful for me, but also that's what my schedule during the week allows. It seems that at my level (intermediate) the testings are usually 4 months apart, with the higher belts testing every 6 months or so.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    testing is just another way for most martial art schools to make money, the good ones give you a belt when you're ready or when you've won enough tournaments at your level (naga, ibjjf, etc.). Even better, they don't have belts like muay thai, wrestling, no gi, mma, etc.
    the idea of the colored belt system is basically an american idea so the schools can charge you an additional $$ every few months.
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    Default, your answer is my favourite.

I'm just sick of getting stuck with the new people, trial people, or itty bitty people. Not in a rude way, it's just, I don't feel I'm learning, I feel like I'm teaching those people.

>.<

Why must it be so difficult to find a good school around Tampa!?
  • Caseyann2501
    Caseyann2501 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I recently graded up in terms of ranking. At my school it happens after anywhere from 6 - 9 months steady training when our teacher decides the majority are ready. If the arepeople who are not ready or who have missed a lot of the lessons, they are not allowed to grade.

Our grading is a one hour pure physical examination, consisting of exercises repeated 60 - 70 times each. For example, we did front palm push ups, leg raises, wide palm push ups, dipping in the lunge position, the kick backs, then high jumps and so on each repeted 60 - 70 times.

Then we have one hour for forms and applications. Same principles apply, everything repeated over and over again (forms are down about 10 - 12 times each) then 60 - 70 repeats of individual applications.

The instructor decides when we are physically ready to attempt it. I was told the goal is not for everyone to do everything (as most people can't manage to do everything) but to show your determination in that you never give up.

Like somone mentioned earlier, the time between gradings at our school also gets longer the more advanced you are. For example, some of the seniors (people who have been doing it for 15 years and over) grade for 3 months straight.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ours goes on number of classes attended with the early belts requiring 24 classes minimum between them and then at the Black belt level it is 100 classes minimum. When we test we have to do our form without mistakes (each belt level has a different form) We fight the "gladiator pit" meaning that we spar every student in the class for 30 seconds non stop starting with the lowest ranks and ending with the black belts when you are exhausted. Then you have to demonstrate what ever technique the instructor asks at white belt it may be just a simple front kick on up to what ever he feels you should know. The black belts are also required to have "x" number of hours hours of teaching and write a 5page essay about what they learned along the way and how it has effected their daily life. As far as it being a money maker for the schools I guess I don't understand that the only added cost is the extra money for the cost of the belt itself.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know Krav Maga needs to be looked at completely different than any other Martial Art since it's not quite the same, but this should offer some insight. The way it works with where I go for Krav Maga (and I would assume most of the USKMA affiliates) is, if you've been there for a few months and you feel like you're ready to move on, you take the seminar for the level you are trying to pass (USKMA uses the level numbers rather than belts like some schools may). The seminar basically goes through every move taught in each level and if the instructors feel that you need more work, they will tell you what you need to work on at the end of the seminar. If they say nothing to you personally, then that means that they cleared you enough for the test.

Then the test is about 3 hours of hell. The first half is a repeat of the seminar and then the second half is the actual test. When I did the Level 1 test, I was actually hyperventilating at the end. The last few moves I'm surprised that I had passed any of them since I was basically feeling like a rag doll by that time.

Since they're more concerned with you knowing the moves and doing them well, if you get marked off for any of the moves they'll let you retest in those moves only. For most, this should be only 1-4 moves that you need to do after any class.

I don't feel that the levels with where I am at is as much of a ripoff as some of the belt systems. Yes, they are making extra money with the tests, but it's more about just further progress and getting the chance to do more advanced technique. I did have a huge feeling of accomplishment once I stopped shaking so much...
  • rachmass1
    Options
    I have been practicing the same MA for over 25-years. You never stop learning and grading is part of the learning process. I practice aikido, which is a modern Japanese MA and ranking has been part of the system since very early on. It isn't a big deal, and becomes less of a big deal the longer you practice. Some people find testing motivating, others not so much, but the preparation is a sharp focusing which is a good thing.

If you feel the dojo is all about rank, ask yourself why. Is It a bunch of young hungry students (which is pretty normal) or is it monetary? Most dojos barely scrape by and if the dojo is part of an organization much of the fees go to the organization. Usually testing is a combination of motivating, focus, and supporting the instructor through the students outward signs of progress. Plus other factors no doubt.

How long have you been at the dojo and practing?
    Options
    jephamooi-I don't know where in tampa you are, but it seems you have many good options, there is a Gracie tampa, tampa muay thai inc, gracie tampa south, evolution mma looks interesting as well, you have many options.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In our style you have a set number of days or hours that you have to do to be eligible to test, but testing is up to the instructor and generally the student is asked to test. First grading is around 6-9 months of steady practice and the the period of time between tests typically grows. Most dedicated students find themselves testing for their first Dan grade atabout 7-8 years this way.

This is pretty much how our system works. Testing is done on an individual basis, up to the discretion of the instructor, but generally there is a minimum of six months between tests. There is a minimum of one year between brown and black, the head of the system (a 10th degree black belt) decides who will test for black, and he conducts the test. There are brown belts in my system who have been brown belts for years. There is no guarantee that I will earn a black belt. When I do, I will be pretty certain that it was *earned*, not given to me for "putting in my time", and certainly not bought.

But we are given these expectations up front. We are told how often testing is done, what is expected for us to advance to the next level, testing costs...and that it's considered a breach of etiquette to approach our instructor about testing.

I don't think any of the instructors in my system are making any money from teaching martial arts; they charge students just enough money to keep the doors open. We have no contracts, our monthly fees are low compared to other systems, and our testing fee is $25--enough to cover the cost of the belt, certificate, and maybe gas money for those running the test to get there.

Adding...if a student doesn't pass the test the first time, the instructor gives feedback and tells them what they are wanting to see. Students only pay the testing fee once--no fee is charged for retesting. Or re-retesting.
  • chandjm
    chandjm Posts: 16
    Options
    The testing part can be difficult. Our organization is not as money driven as most. Our colored belt tests are $25. To test for 1st degree its $100 some places its $1500. In the World Tang Soo Do it typically takes 5-6 years to make 1st dan. Thats 5-6 years of consistent practice and attendence. Traditional MA schools are less $ driven.
    Also, dealing new students and childern are part of the deal. Rmember, you can learn alot by teaching. I made my greatest strides as a Red belt teaching 9-12 year olds. I am now a 2nd degree and run 90%of all our classes with 3 certified instructors under me. Depending on your rank not all learning is done in the studio. The higher your rank the more you will have to do outside the studio.
    I dont agree that belt testing is all about $. Not for us any way. We test when students have their required classes with consistent attendence. But we will not test if someone is not ready. We do not want to fail anyone but we have when they deserve it. Also if they do not pass we do not charge for the test. Our test fees go to the head organization to handle the processing of certificates nothing else. Besides we want our students to have a good memory and feel a sense of accomplishment. Our tests are 3-4 hours long, forms, breaking, sparring , self-defense and a written test as well as comprehensive. When we send people to be tested in front of the regional masters they are ready.
    It easy to get frustrated just hang in there. I've been in the same place and have managed to get through it.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    when the instructor feels it is time for you to move on...they will let u know... are u just starting and stuck in a beginner class? some places are expensive some arnt you just have to take your time and check them out. and each school does things differently.

when i did iff/ust tae kwon do.. when we tested..depending on rank... there was patterns, breaking, sparring, general and written knowladge, step sparring, and then coriographed fights to demonstrate what u know..and yes my spelling sucks..lol

i am now at baileys tkd and for testing at least the colored belts it is easyer.. paterns sparring and breaking for the most part.

and i am a bit frustrated right now..but i am the student so i do what i need to do... i have health issues i am fighting with and being way overweight and not been active in the sport in over 10 years. so having to relearn everything..and being a transfer i am stuck at being a white belt tell i get back up to the level i am supposed to be and taking the test. to start with i was only doing it for the exercise..but now my stamina is coming back and i am doing way better at it than i thought i was going to do i am now wanting to go for my black belt.. right now i am currently 3 patterns from that level..and i went ahead and retaught myself the next pattern cus i was ready for it..but the instructor told me she felt i needed to work more on the other stuff first...so i follow her rules there but work on the next pattern on my own...

colored belts and such are only there for the most part just to keep u interested and to give u something to work for... but yes it can be agrivating at times when u think u are ready to move on. but it is kinda disrespectful to bug the instructor bout advances...u can ask questions bout it..but not push it.
    Options
    jepha-btw belt doesn't mean anything anyways, it only keeps you gi jacket closed.
  • wocko6092
    wocko6092 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    we have a grading every 3 months this our Grading Structure
    • 9th Grade White
    • 8th Grade Yellow – (3 months)
    • 7th Grade Orange – (3 months)
    • 6th Grade Green – (3 months) At this grade students can grade in Shaolin Staff
    • 5th Grade Blue – (3 months)
    • 4th Grade Purple - (3 months)
    • 3rd Grade Purple White - (3 months)
    • 2nd Grade Brown – (6 months) At this grade students can go for Instructor, and Animal Practitioner
    • 1st Grade Brown White – (1 year)
    • 1st Degree Black – (1 year)
    • 2nd Degree Black – (2 years)
    • 3rd Degree Black – (3 years)
    • 4th Degree Black – (4 years)

The months or years in brackets are the minium before you can think about grading. Plus the cost at our Club is cheap you pay £10($16) for each grading. Our club's instructors are volunteers and we pay £3.50($5) per class which last's 2 hours. I felt glad to be there because i too have been in a club where there more interested in how much money they can make out of you instead of seeing how well your performance is
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    I'm not worried about the belt so much as proper training. If a school cares about who goes where to train because of belt colours, then I care. Like I said, not trying to be with the beginners and trial people nearly every time.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    I'm not worried about the belt so much as proper training. If a school cares about who goes where to train because of belt colours, then I care. Like I said, not trying to be with the beginners and trial people nearly every time.

How long have you been practicing with this particular school? Other than the grading thing are you happy there?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    we have a grading every 3 months this our Grading Structure
    • 9th Grade White
    • 8th Grade Yellow – (3 months)
    • 7th Grade Orange – (3 months)
    • 6th Grade Green – (3 months) At this grade students can grade in Shaolin Staff
    • 5th Grade Blue – (3 months)
    • 4th Grade Purple - (3 months)
    • 3rd Grade Purple White - (3 months)
    • 2nd Grade Brown – (6 months) At this grade students can go for Instructor, and Animal Practitioner
    • 1st Grade Brown White – (1 year)
    • 1st Degree Black – (1 year)
    • 2nd Degree Black – (2 years)
    • 3rd Degree Black – (3 years)
    • 4th Degree Black – (4 years)

The months or years in brackets are the minium before you can think about grading. Plus the cost at our Club is cheap you pay £10($16) for each grading. Our club's instructors are volunteers and we pay £3.50($5) per class which last's 2 hours. I felt glad to be there because i too have been in a club where there more interested in how much money they can make out of you instead of seeing how well your performance is

Unfortunately, Belt Promotions have turned into a great money making venture. Especially in the last couple of decades. I've seen it a lot.

I don't begrudge the schools making a profit, but setting up a time frame for promotion is diminishing the ability to learn.

I started 40 years ago and if your instructor singled you out for promotion, you were ready. He wasn't about to be embarrassed by putting you up in front of his Master unprepared. It wasn't until the 80's and I was back in the States that I started to see the time based promotions. I haven't tested for a belt since 1987 and probably won't again. Doesn't mean I am not learning.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that chasing a belt is ****ing stupid. I get that it's an accomplishment, but what does it say when you PAY to get tested? It's about money. And if you can test for a black belt after a year of training, then something smells fishy to me.

This is the reason I don't test in BJJ or Judo. I have no problem throwing around and submitting higher belts than me.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that chasing a belt is ****ing stupid. I get that it's an accomplishment, but what does it say when you PAY to get tested? It's about money. And if you can test for a black belt after a year of training, then something smells fishy to me.

This is the reason I don't test in BJJ or Judo. I have no problem throwing around and submitting higher belts than me.

I dis-agree whole heartedly. I say not testing is a fear of failure. In our school at least (I can't speak for others) If you do not pass, better luck next time. The fee only covers the cost of the new belt, nothing more. Our Instructor has even demoted a student that was not showing respect, this is not about money.