How does Fitbit tell you your TDEE?

Options
Lwohitz
Lwohitz Posts: 9 Member
Ok Iam having a really huge brain fart right now. I just got my fitbit in the mail and so Iam trying to figure this all out. On the dashboard on the Fitbit site it says that my goal is to burn 2184 calories today. How did they come up with that number?

how does one figure out what their TDEE is with a fitbit? Remember Im feeling kinda slow today so explain it in simple terms LOL

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok Iam having a really huge brain fart right now. I just got my fitbit in the mail and so Iam trying to figure this all out. On the dashboard on the Fitbit site it says that my goal is to burn 2184 calories today. How did they come up with that number?

how does one figure out what their TDEE is with a fitbit? Remember Im feeling kinda slow today so explain it in simple terms LOL

FitBit uses your age, weight, height and the least accurate inflated when overweight Harris BMR calculation.

That BMR leads to an RMR for non-sleep non-moving activity, and is applied to the time you aren't moving.

When you move, your weight and standard calcs are used for movement, which for walking and slow jogging can be very decent.

Any exercise more strenuous will be underestimated, potentially by a lot depending on how hard it is and how little the FitBit is moving.

So the majority of your day is basically RMR (slightly higher than BMR) / 1440 minutes in day x number minutes not moving.
    That plus calc's on movement = TDEE estimate.

Big assumption on first setup as to your TDEE level.
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mine tells me that my calorie burn daily goal is 2150...and that's about what I get to if I do no "exercise" but do walk 10,000 steps. So possibly (I'm just guessing here) it's using your estimated BMR according to the weight/age stats that you enter when you get it and then adding what you would burn with 10,000 steps (I think that's the default step goal).
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have found my Fitbit TDEE is consistant with a calculated TDEE for Moderate activity for me. I lift 3x a week and mod cardio 2-3x a week. My TDEE is 2300-2800 calories a day per fitbit. I am sure its not 100% accurate but it give me a good idea abou how my day is going.