Swimming Problems-Dried outhair/skin

Options
Question for all you swimmers out there. Any tips on not getting your skin/hair all dried out and gross from the chlorine/salt water

Also if theres any swimmers that want to add me as a friend that would be cool! I only read about runners and gym people

Replies

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have that problem + lots of water in the ears all the time :angry:

I now make up my own 'Swim-Ear' ® drops to help out with that problem.

I bought some after swim shampoo and shower gel. They neutralise the chlorine etc etc. Then I use the Aussie 3 min Miracle conditioner on my hair and cocoa butter moisturizer on the rest of me (also helps with the stretch marks :bigsmile: )

I think I've discovered my feminine side :ohwell:
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A good clarifying shampoo will work too, Neutrogena makes one. Or you can go to a sports store or a swim supply store (one that specializes in suits, equipment and other swim stuff) and they will have shampoo and conditioner for swimmers. I then use a good moisturizing conditioner all over my hair. Also I find if my hair is really dry if I throw in some Moroccan oil I'm set.

Good moisturizer for your skin. Shower right after getting out and then moisturize! I use Aveno and find that it works well.

If you live in the Toronto area there are a few stores that I can recommend. I'm not sure about anywhere else, I'm sure that you can google it and find something.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's also a good idea to make sure your hair is completely wet before putting your swim cap on. This is supposed to lessen the absorption of chlorine in the hair. I've always done this and never had issues with dry hair.

I've also heard that putting a very little bit of conditioner through your wet hair before your swim cap is a good idea. I think I only did this once and didn't notice a difference. In general, I don't think it's a great idea to put any products on before going into the pool to keep the water clean.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's also a good idea to make sure your hair is completely wet before putting your swim cap on. This is supposed to lessen the absorption of chlorine in the hair. I've always done this and never had issues with dry hair.

I've also heard that putting a very little bit of conditioner through your wet hair before your swim cap is a good idea. I think I only did this once and didn't notice a difference. In general, I don't think it's a great idea to put any products on before going into the pool to keep the water clean.

I always wet my hair in the shower area before I walk into the pool area - to saturate it. I have my hair highlighted and colored, and but doing this i have had no problems. I also shower immediately getting out of the pool. I use cocoa butter moisturizer so much I think I should take stock in it. I'm hoping it will offset any strech marks too as I shed these many many pounds. :glasses:

I have used a clarifying shampoo in my younger, don't color or highlight my hair days and I'd recommend.
  • tdhighfill
    Options
    I think I've discovered my feminine side :ohwell:
    [/quote]

LOL!
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'm loving all the great advice!!!!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You might try putting some baking soda in your hair. It helps neutralize the chlorine so it doesn't keep attacking the hair after you're out of the pool.

Put some in your hand and make a paste, then put it in your hair before you shampoo.
  • tdhighfill
    Options
    You might try putting some baking soda in your hair. It helps neutralize the chlorine so it doesn't keep attacking the hair after you're out of the pool.

Put some in your hand and make a paste, then put it in your hair before you shampoo.

I have never heard that...interesting. I am going to look this up!
  • shinyhappyrae
    shinyhappyrae Posts: 11 Member
    Options

My stylist also told me you can just put a tablespoon or so of baking soda in your normal shampoo and mix it up, and it will protect your hair from the chlorine. I haven't tried this yet though.
  • beckmr
    Options
    I have really long thick hair and I find when I am in the pool a lot, my hair gets dry and brittle.

Ultra Swim Shampoo and Conditioner are great! They are designed to take chlorine out of your hair. Good luck :)
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I found that a cheap bottle of Suave clarifying shampoo does the trick. For skin, I make my own brown sugar scrub. I used to buy an expensive bottle from Sephora, but I found an easy recipe to make my own. I'm not sure why it works, but it scrubs off all the chlorine, keeps my skin from getting dry (and I smell like a cookie for the rest of the day!)