Weighing In

Options
Good day all! I was wondering how often and when everyone weighs in. Currently I weigh in every Monday, but find myself wanting to get on the scale every day. I usually fight the urge but occasionally will weigh in mid week because I just can't fight it. I tend to need instant results when losing to keep me going. So I wanted to hear from you all to see what everyone does or how they fight the urge to see the numbers.

Replies

• GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This month is different, I'm giving it a shot only weighing the 1st and the 29th, but normally I weigh every day and only log Monday weigh ins. If I don't weigh every day, I don't keep up good habits.
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think do whatever works for you. It is not healthy to get addicted to the scale and can lead to some real problems but if it helps you at first? Do what you need to do to stay on track and as you get used to losing you can taper it off maybe? The only issue I can think besides scale addiction is the discouragement that is causes when you have a gain for no reason (sometimes our bodies are tricky) or when you hit a plateau you might get discouraged and fall off the wagon if the scale isn't responding on a daily basis. Once a week is healthy but this is hard stuff so find what makes you comfortable.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think do whatever works for you. It is not healthy to get addicted to the scale and can lead to some real problems but if it helps you at first? Do what you need to do to stay on track and as you get used to losing you can taper it off maybe? The only issue I can think besides scale addiction is the discouragement that is causes when you have a gain for no reason (sometimes our bodies are tricky) or when you hit a plateau you might get discouraged and fall off the wagon if the scale isn't responding on a daily basis. Once a week is healthy but this is hard stuff so find what makes you comfortable.

Yes, very true. A lot of people cannot weigh daily for that reason. If what you see on the scale ever discourages you, you should find other ways to measure your progress.... pictures, measurements, fitness goals, etc. I have friends like me who weigh daily because we like seeing the fluctuations and knowing our bodies' reactions to certain foods. And I have other friends who can only weigh 1-2 times a month otherwise they get discouraged by not seeing a big enough loss. It's all about finding what works best for you, whatever keeps you going, and whatever makes you happiest on this journey.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh only once a week, usually on Saturday morning. This week is different; I weighed in early because I need to weigh in next Thursday (first of the month) to log where I'm at in a challenge. (So far I'm ahead of my goal!)
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm enjoying the feedback. I definitely tend to get addicted to my scale and when it doesn't move the way I anticipate I definitely get discouraged. I'll probably stick to weekly weigh ins for now. It is a very unique and specialized process for each individual that is for sure.
  • roundtherink
    Options
    I also weigh in daily, since for me, its the only way I stay on track and am accountable. Also, like someone above said, I like to know the effects of certain foods on my body. I also took a photo in a tight fitting stretchy top and yoga pants when I started. Then I take a photo in the same outfit for every 10 pounds I lose. I'm only on my 3rd picture, but I can see the difference, and that encourages me!
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in daily, since for me, its the only way I stay on track and am accountable. Also, like someone above said, I like to know the effects of certain foods on my body. I also took a photo in a tight fitting stretchy top and yoga pants when I started. Then I take a photo in the same outfit for every 10 pounds I lose. I'm only on my 3rd picture, but I can see the difference, and that encourages me!

I like that picture idea!
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Pictures every ten pounds down is a really cool idea! Someone also said they put a container on their mantle full of pretty rocks one for each pound they need to lose. As they lose a pound they remove a rock -- it is a great visual! I haven't tried it yet but I thought I'd share.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, but I 'peek' about 2 days before
    I can then steel myself for the real weigh in --ha! If I don't put it away, I will hop on that scale 5 times a day, so I do put it away.
    I do know that my weight flucuates---up to 10 5 pounds a day depending on the time of the day, and where I am with salt, water, monthly woes, etc. So I try not to let it throw me.
    I know that the scale says I am up a pound from last week, but I was down 3 then, so overall a 2 pound loss in 2 weeks---normal for me.

I dunno about the rocks, picturing a container of 200 rocks! LOL.

I DO like making mini-goals. I try not to think of all the rocks I need to lose, right now working on my first 10%. (3 more pounds to go!)
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I try not to get obsessive about it. I have tried the once weekly weighing and I would "forget" a lot. I track my weight on fridays (or "low" days).
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i weigh once a week, when i wake up on friday's. sometimes i can't resist the urge and i get on the scale a couple times during the week and it's ALWAYS a mistake. it always says i've put on a few pounds and then i freak out, but by friday it's always back down. :)
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My name is Patti and Im addicted to my scale...........I wont eat anything in the morning until I get on the scale...the good the bad and the ugly it dostn matter I have to know that number.........does it make me discouraged .....YUP........do I get encouraged ...YUP...
    can I leave it alone.....NOPE Im hopeless...lol but I know it and try to take it in stride.