Are there any Crunchy Mamas Out There?

Options

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    So glad this thread was started, it's good to hear about all the things that hospitals automatically do so I can plan to tell the doc I don't want it. I love my OB but I'm moving accross country at 6.5 months so I'll have to find a new one in CA quickly and make sure he/she is on board with my plan. Luckily CA is a bit more crunchy than NJ so that should be a bit easier.

For those of you who use cloth diapers, what would you suggest to have on hand to start out with? I really want to do cloth but hubby isn't on board and I'm afraid he wont change any diapers if they are cloth :laugh: Also what method do you use for cleaning them. I researched it and saw that you can swish it in the toilet, have a wet pail to put them all in....this all seems a bit cumbersome and messy. What do you all do?
    Most people I know use a dry pail. We have a swing lid garbage pail lined with a laundry bag (they also make waterproof bags just for cloth dipes), and when we change the dipes, we just throw them in there. Then when it's time to do laundry, empty the dipes into the washer, and wash the bag along with the dipes. For liquidy breastfed poops, no need to rinse. When baby starts solids and the poos become more solid, we have a sprayer attached to our toilet to spray the poop off. Much easier than dunking/swishing.
    It sounds a lot scarier than it actually is once you get started. :wink:

Oh, my favorite newborn dipes are a combination of prefolds and kissaluvs fitteds. They are sooooo soft! I like prowrap newborn covers because they are also soft and have a little notch for the umbilical cord. But they grow out of those quickly.

For size small on up, I like prefolds and fitteds with Thirsties covers. Did y'all know that you can get some good deals on cloth diapers off Amazon.com, often with free shipping? And on Amazon, you can read reviews.
    Also check out Diaperpin.com for tons of cloth diapering info and reviews.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    So glad this thread was started, it's good to hear about all the things that hospitals automatically do so I can plan to tell the doc I don't want it. I love my OB but I'm moving accross country at 6.5 months so I'll have to find a new one in CA quickly and make sure he/she is on board with my plan. Luckily CA is a bit more crunchy than NJ so that should be a bit easier.

For those of you who use cloth diapers, what would you suggest to have on hand to start out with? I really want to do cloth but hubby isn't on board and I'm afraid he wont change any diapers if they are cloth :laugh: Also what method do you use for cleaning them. I researched it and saw that you can swish it in the toilet, have a wet pail to put them all in....this all seems a bit cumbersome and messy. What do you all do?
    Most people I know use a dry pail. We have a swing lid garbage pail lined with a laundry bag (they also make waterproof bags just for cloth dipes), and when we change the dipes, we just throw them in there. Then when it's time to do laundry, empty the dipes into the washer, and wash the bag along with the dipes. For liquidy breastfed poops, no need to rinse. When baby starts solids and the poos become more solid, we have a sprayer attached to our toilet to spray the poop off. Much easier than dunking/swishing.
    It sounds a lot scarier than it actually is once you get started. :wink:

Oh, my favorite newborn dipes are a combination of prefolds and kissaluvs fitteds. They are sooooo soft! I like prowrap newborn covers because they are also soft and have a little notch for the umbilical cord. But they grow out of those quickly.

For size small on up, I like prefolds and fitteds with Thirsties covers. Did y'all know that you can get some good deals on cloth diapers off Amazon.com, often with free shipping? And on Amazon, you can read reviews.
    Also check out Diaperpin.com for tons of cloth diapering info and reviews.

I'm just getting around to the thought of using cloth diapers!! What do you do when you're not home all day? Dont they stink? I feel like I'm slowly becoming "crunchy" if you will so I'm new to all of this but I've been doing my research!
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm super crunchy but don't think of it that way and people probably wouldn't know unless you asked. Since you asked. Three drug-free births with midwives. 1st with Bradley Method, last 2 with Hypnobabies. Extended bf, over 2 1/2 years each. Elimination communication alternating with cloth. Co- sleeping, no vax. Food direct from farm most of the time. Don't even know how I got this way. LOL

Love it! What state are you in? I selective vac because the state of New Jersey won't allow my kids into school with no vaccines! My 2 year old hasn't had any vaccines yet, but my girls are in preschool and the state freaks out if you don't have them vaccinated! I hate it! I have written to my congressman, but I am sure that nothing will come of it, because NJ has lots of pharmaceutical plants, so they more pull than some crunchy mamas! When my daughter had to get a vac for school last year, she told everyone that the government made her do it!

NC - No religious exemption in NJ?
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's official! I'm using cloth light pads for my pee-sneezes! ;b
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used Bradley for my sons birth as well! Loved it! The classes are the longest of any birthing class but also the most informative so register early! I LOVED the workbook and used it through labor. And, we made good crunchy friends in that class. They are also expecting again and on the same date as we are!
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Cakes-what's Bradley?

I don't know if i will be birthing in NJ or CA but I found a birthing center I REALLY want to use in CA. http://www.sactobirth.com/ I am in love with the set up and my sis had her baby here and loved it. Just reading the birth stories make me want SO BAD to have our baby there. How many of you have issues with Insurance not covering things like this? Do you feel it's worth it to pay for the birth you want? I am thinking i'd rather pay out of pocket to have the baby here then use insurance and have it in a hospital (unless I have a doctor that is 100% on board with my birh plan which I doubt will happen). I just need to decide if how much i'm willing to pay.

what has been all of your experiences with insurance and natural birth?
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    We pay out of pocket for home birth. Here the average fee is $2500, compared to around $800 if we had our babies in the hospital (with insurance paying). To me, the extra care I get from my midwife and the comfort is worth it.
    (Clarifying--$800 was what we were responsible for paying after insurance last time we had a baby in the hospital.)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Cakes-what's Bradley?

I don't know if i will be birthing in NJ or CA but I found a birthing center I REALLY want to use in CA. http://www.sactobirth.com/ I am in love with the set up and my sis had her baby here and loved it. Just reading the birth stories make me want SO BAD to have our baby there. How many of you have issues with Insurance not covering things like this? Do you feel it's worth it to pay for the birth you want? I am thinking i'd rather pay out of pocket to have the baby here then use insurance and have it in a hospital (unless I have a doctor that is 100% on board with my birh plan which I doubt will happen). I just need to decide if how much i'm willing to pay.

I'm seeing a midwife at a birthing center, and it's 100% covered by my insurance. The best thing you can do is contact your insurance carrier and find out if they cover midwives or home births. Some do, and some don't. It saves them a small fortune keeping you out of the hospital. Total cost of my care with birthing center is $4,000 including post-natal care. Total for hospital birth alone (average) is $15,000-$25,000.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Cakes-what's Bradley?

I'm seeing a midwife at a birthing center, and it's 100% covered by my insurance. The best thing you can do is contact your insurance carrier and find out if they cover midwives or home births. Some do, and some don't. It saves them a small fortune keeping you out of the hospital. Total cost of my care with birthing center is $4,000 including post-natal care. Total for hospital birth alone (average) is $15,000-$25,000.

Apparently I need to ask the Birth Center submit a request for authorization, if they get authorized it's 25$ a visit if it's not authorized I have to pay 20% up to $1,000. If I end up paying the 1000 then the family will have no more copays or deductions the rest of the year so I definitely think I will do it there no matter what (unless I'm still in NJ.) I'm soooooo excited!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Cakes-what's Bradley?

Apparently I need to ask the Birth Center submit a request for authorization, if they get authorized it's 25$ a visit if it's not authorized I have to pay 20% up to $1,000. If I end up paying the 1000 then the family will have no more copays or deductions the rest of the year so I definitely think I will do it there no matter what (unless I'm still in NJ.) I'm soooooo excited!

That's a pretty good deal! Congrats!
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I plan on nursing but i'm sure I'll want bottles once in a while, i'm thinking of getting glass bottles by Born Free. have any of you used glass bottles. Do you think they are suprerior to BPA free plastic?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I plan on nursing but i'm sure I'll want bottles once in a while, i'm thinking of getting glass bottles by Born Free. have any of you used glass bottles. Do you think they are suprerior to BPA free plastic?

I didn't do glass bottles (it's just that they do get dropped from time to time - and not always by your child), but I did Born Free BPA-free plastic bottles. I liked them overall, but I did have issues with leaking (I did all the "tricks" to get them not to leak), and they have a million parts to clean, which gets really old, really fast. However, they did do a good job in reducing air intake and whatnot, and compared to what I've heard about some other bottles, they are good. (I recommend buying from Amazon compared to everywhere else, for both bottles and different stage nipples - much better pricing!)

This time I am considering switching to either a Playtex drop-ins system or Avent Natural. I plan on breastfeeding but definitely want to pump, too, and my son did not have nipple confusion issues (so my hope is that this baby will not, either).
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I try not to have anything made of glass within my kids reach (they are destructive). That being said, I have EBF all three of my children, and have also tried about 20 different brands of bottles for when I went back to work and was pumping. The best and lowest maintenance bottles that my husband and any caregivers said worked the best were Tommee Tippee bottles. They are great for breastfed babies with a nipple that is like the breast and a slow flow. I wouldn't recommend introducing the bottle until you have established a good nursing relationship with your baby, but when you need bottles, those were my favorites.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I have a few questions maybe some of you (esp the nurses) can help me with....I'm also going to talk to my doc about it also.

I found a website that gives all storts of birthrates for NJ hospitals http://www.icanofnj.com/

first I just wanted to see the c-section rates in the hospitals I can deliver at but it also has epidural, induction, episiotomy and midwife attended birth rates. For most of the numbers I prefer Hospital #1, but their midwife rate is 10.9 as opposed to 23.1 (only reason I would care is if I can't have MY doctor i'd like a midwife) and the episiotomy rate is 22.2 as opposed to 4.1....that seems like such a BIG difference.

So for hospital #1 the worst number is the episiotomy (which scares the crap out of me) but it's also great to see that they have a 41.2% epidural rate as opposed to hospital #2 which is 64.3 and I really don't want to deal with them pushing meds on me.

So here's the question. I really want a natural birth. Period. I know there could be extenuating circumstances but if i need epidural, induction, episiotomy, or c-section i want it to be my choice not because they pushed it on me. So do I pay attention to the numbers or do I just talk to my doctor and know that I trust him so as long as he is there i'm good? Also, while hospital #1 has better numbers (aside from episiotomy) their rooms aren't as nice and, having been there, I can say that their nurses are kinda rude. I wish I could go to a birthing center!!

decisions decisions!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I have a few questions maybe some of you (esp the nurses) can help me with....I'm also going to talk to my doc about it also.

I found a website that gives all storts of birthrates for NJ hospitals http://www.icanofnj.com/

first I just wanted to see the c-section rates in the hospitals I can deliver at but it also has epidural, induction, episiotomy and midwife attended birth rates. For most of the numbers I prefer Hospital #1, but their midwife rate is 10.9 as opposed to 23.1 (only reason I would care is if I can't have MY doctor i'd like a midwife) and the episiotomy rate is 22.2 as opposed to 4.1....that seems like such a BIG difference.

So for hospital #1 the worst number is the episiotomy (which scares the crap out of me) but it's also great to see that they have a 41.2% epidural rate as opposed to hospital #2 which is 64.3 and I really don't want to deal with them pushing meds on me.

So here's the question. I really want a natural birth. Period. I know there could be extenuating circumstances but if i need epidural, induction, episiotomy, or c-section i want it to be my choice not because they pushed it on me. So do I pay attention to the numbers or do I just talk to my doctor and know that I trust him so as long as he is there i'm good? Also, while hospital #1 has better numbers (aside from episiotomy) their rooms aren't as nice and, having been there, I can say that their nurses are kinda rude. I wish I could go to a birthing center!!

decisions decisions!

I'm not a nurse, but I had a conversation with my ex-OB about this.

Many hospitals have certain rules or policies that, while technically they don't "trump" your doctor's views, can make it rather difficult to do things your way. Ask your doctor about the hospital he/she uses and admits to and find out what their policies are. You should also ask if they allow you to get up and move around, whether they will require a urinary catheter or not, and whether or not you will be allowed to drink water or eat.

Have you looked into getting a doula?
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    I can't find a doula in my area for the life of me! I looked it up online but had no luck when I tried making calls
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I can't find a doula in my area for the life of me! I looked it up online but had no luck when I tried making calls

If you plan on using a midwife as a backup, then I'd highly suggest finding one you like and building some connection with her early. She may even agree to be with you while your doctor manages your care (kinda like a doula would).

If you want 100% natural labor, then you're going to need someone with some cajones in the birthing room to make sure the nurses and hospital staff don't railroad you when you're feeling vunerable during labor.

I hope you can get things worked out!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Where are you located?
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Prego- hubs has cajones...he will definitely stand up for me and my birthplan...after seeing parts of "a birth story" he was like "holy crap, I don't want you to be all drugged up"

nikki- CapeMay, NJ
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I do some crunchy things but I just do what is right for me and my family. I breastfeed but have been unable to go past 10.5 months. My goal this time is one year. We do an alternate vaccine schedule and do not get all of them. I made almost all of my youngest child's baby food and plan to do it again. It is so easy and I know it tastes better! I encourage my children to eat healthy and I refuse to keep junk around just for the kids.

Birthwise, I am not really crunchy. I have had 2 c-sections, and I would like a VBA2C this time. That may or may not happen, I have pregnancy related BP issues. My first two babies were classified as IUGR and SGA, I am just thankful they are bright, happy, healthy children.