Atkins vs Dukan?

Options
Whats everyone's thoughts? Which one works for you?

Or do you just follow your own diet plans if so discuss?

Kat xx

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I just keep the carbs below 50g a day and eat food closest to it's natural state.

I avoid grains, legumes and dairy on both weight-management and general health grounds.

I'm not big on fruit, generally.

I've been playing around with my calorie intake within this framework and getting an idea what works for me. Calories do count at some point but I still don't think they should be the first focus in managing weight.

Atkins seems too restrictive to me and I've no idea how Dukan compares. :)

(edit) And I'm still not doing much exercise ;)
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    I just keep the carbs below 50g a day and eat food closest to it's natural state.

I avoid grains, legumes and dairy on both weight-management and general health grounds.

I'm not big on fruit, generally.

I've been playing around with my calorie intake within this framework and getting an idea what works for me. Calories do count at some point but I still don't think they should be the first focus in managing weight.

Atkins seems too restrictive to me and I've no idea how Dukan compares. :)

(edit) And I'm still not doing much exercise ;)

Right so if your eating around 50g a day which is similar to me..
    I don't count calories, I eat when I fancy food but just try to keep both carbs and fat under 50g...
    Chocolate is my downfall, I wish they would invent a chocolate bar carb free!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, I eat when I fancy food but just try to keep both carbs and fat under 50g...

I've been known to sneak some chocolate ... I may well have a Snickers Bar for breakfast today ... I'm in that kind of mood :)
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Dukan is a good option if you have any medical issues with higher fat (it's much leaner) but in many ways it's more strict than Atkins. Some people struggle with the "days" part of the program, others love it. I think you'd need to be more careful with nutrition on Dukan, especially fat soluble vitamins like Vitamin A. My body tends to rip through vitamins at a crazy rate, my doc wasn't keen on Dukan for this reason (for me). It seems very popular with people who have less to lose than I do, so it obviously works well for some :)

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11/dangers-of-zero-carb-diets-ii-mucus-deficiency-and-gastrointestinal-cancers/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/431693-dry-mouth-and-vitamin-deficiency/
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Those two latter items totally happened to me! (Praxis and I talked about it already) - I don't know Dukan.... and I don't do Atkins. However, I eat lots of nuts and plenty of dairy with my meats... and I lose. I do under 50 net a day and I can't even get to that - it's usually 30 or under. (which is actually not good for me because of the mucus thing...)
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    I felt a lot better on Dukan than on Adkins, but I don't think that either is sustainable. Now, I just watch my carbs, and fat intake, and make sure that I'm burning calories.
    Loved the "galettes" on the Dukan; got good at making them :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes dark chocolate sugar free is a dandy occasional snack if you are a choconut.
  • gnr123
    Options

I've been known to sneak some chocolate ... I may well have a Snickers Bar for breakfast today ... I'm in that kind of mood :)

Hmmm snickers, the best chocolate bar! Good choice
  • gnr123
    Options
    Dukan is a good option if you have any medical issues with higher fat (it's much leaner) but in many ways it's more strict than Atkins. Some people struggle with the "days" part of the program, others love it. I think you'd need to be more careful with nutrition on Dukan, especially fat soluble vitamins like Vitamin A. My body tends to rip through vitamins at a crazy rate, my doc wasn't keen on Dukan for this reason (for me). It seems very popular with people who have less to lose than I do, so it obviously works well for some :)

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11/dangers-of-zero-carb-diets-ii-mucus-deficiency-and-gastrointestinal-cancers/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/431693-dry-mouth-and-vitamin-deficiency/

Thanks for the advice, will look into that..
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    I’ve tried out both diets.

I lasted about a month on the dukan diet – It’s extremely hard unless you like a lot of different meats – I only really like chicken, beef and pork and lamb (lamb is limited though) I’m also picky with fish and only really like salmon or tuna and cod.
    I think I stopped that diet as it got hard to stop doing the alternating days in phase 2. You have several different ways you could have alternating days but I found myself not having protein only days and having veggies when I wasn’t meant to.
    I also got picked on at work for my lunches as I’d have a pile of chicken with cottage cheese and then fish sticks separate from them. It was quite an expensive diet but I suppose the joys of only having a certain list to eat off was easier shopping wise and most my veg was frozen so it never went off. I lost about 9-10 pounds on dukan. But I struggled with having the oats everyday and being so limited on food.

I lasted on Atkins for about 2 months – I find this diet you have to be in the right mind set for. As soon as I took my eye off counting carbs I lost it. I lost 15 pounds (10 being in the first month!) on this diet and now I’ve pigged out as my mind hasn’t been in the right state (few health worries etc – I’m a right stress eater) I’ve put on about 10 pounds of that back on through so many carbs!
    Atkins is really easy to follow once you get the carb and nets carbs sorted. I found that since doing it I still weight out all my food and I’m currently lowering my carbs again to start phase 1 again.
    The only downside to the diet is like many I have a sweet tooth and I really struggle to curb my choccie cravings. I found before buying Atkins bars helped so I may order some so I can have a bar when I crave something sweet!

My advice would be Atkins over dukan as with Atkins at least you can eat out with it, as I struggled with eating out on the dukan unless I had a plain steak! Whereas Atkins you can have a chicken salad.
  • gnr123
    Options
    I’ve tried out both diets.

I lasted about a month on the dukan diet – It’s extremely hard unless you like a lot of different meats – I only really like chicken, beef and pork and lamb (lamb is limited though) I’m also picky with fish and only really like salmon or tuna and cod.
    I think I stopped that diet as it got hard to stop doing the alternating days in phase 2. You have several different ways you could have alternating days but I found myself not having protein only days and having veggies when I wasn’t meant to.
    I also got picked on at work for my lunches as I’d have a pile of chicken with cottage cheese and then fish sticks separate from them. It was quite an expensive diet but I suppose the joys of only having a certain list to eat off was easier shopping wise and most my veg was frozen so it never went off. I lost about 9-10 pounds on dukan. But I struggled with having the oats everyday and being so limited on food.

I lasted on Atkins for about 2 months – I find this diet you have to be in the right mind set for. As soon as I took my eye off counting carbs I lost it. I lost 15 pounds (10 being in the first month!) on this diet and now I’ve pigged out as my mind hasn’t been in the right state (few health worries etc – I’m a right stress eater) I’ve put on about 10 pounds of that back on through so many carbs!
    Atkins is really easy to follow once you get the carb and nets carbs sorted. I found that since doing it I still weight out all my food and I’m currently lowering my carbs again to start phase 1 again.
    The only downside to the diet is like many I have a sweet tooth and I really struggle to curb my choccie cravings. I found before buying Atkins bars helped so I may order some so I can have a bar when I crave something sweet!

My advice would be Atkins over dukan as with Atkins at least you can eat out with it, as I struggled with eating out on the dukan unless I had a plain steak! Whereas Atkins you can have a chicken salad.

Wow thanks for your advice, really informative . I swing more to the dukins purely because I am a big meat/fish eater where as veg I could literally never eat again, well bar mushy peas hmm

But still I find it hard to substain, may try the Atkins see how I get on..

Big congrats on the weight loss by the way!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I also agree with some of the other posters and stay 50 carbs or less. I do not lose wieght if I do not track my carbs. I never eat pure sugar, my only sugar is natural like in the fruit I eat. Atkins is too strict for me so I do my own form of LCHF. I tried dukan but found it very hard to eat low fat, I was always hungry if I eat fake butter, or low fat. The only carbs I have is portion control fruit and veggies. I am grateful for Atkins because for 3 weeks I did 20 carbs or less and kicked my sugar addiction as well as gluten. I did have severe carb flu and felt horrible for the 3 wks never had the keto high people talk about. I do not get carb flu as long as I do not daily do 20 carbs or less. Yesterday I had 15 carbs but did not feel any side affects. Today I checked out with 41 carbs because I did have watermelon and orange. I have less appetite when I do not eat over 50 carbs.

I checked out today under calorie goal by 300 calories and because I kept my carbs under 50 I am not hungry. The difference is while just tracking and keeping menu low calories but eating 100 or even 70 carbs I get under stress because I get hungry quickly. I cannot lose weight unless it is 50 carbs or less. Today I ate bacon swiss cheese burger 5 oz with side dish slices of onion, sugar free pickle, low sugar ketchup. I was stuffed.

For lunch I had the same thing. The Swiss cheese is full fat and 75 calories. If I eat low fat cottage cheese, low fat cheese or low fat yogurt it increases my appetite. When I eat full fat food like full fat Greek yogurt,full fat cheese,bacon, meat, avocado, my hunger is decreased. Everyone is an individual I see results on low carbs high fat, and failure with not counting carbs because the more carbs I eat the more I crave and the greater my appetite. Hunger causes me stress and Dukan and eating low fat meals cranks up my hunger. When I eat a good fat like coconut oil, avocado, cream cheese, mayo, sour cream,real butter, it is satisfying to my appetite and I eat less calories it is easier to stay under my calorie goal.