Alcohol

Options
Well Friday is upon us...Whoooop!

Generally my downfall starts here :laugh:

Any suggestions for a lower carb alcoholic drink?

Happy Friday by the way :smile:

Replies

• mckennar311
    Options
    Vodka & diet coke etc is generally carb free:drinker::drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Go for any unsweetened spirit (Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Rum, tequila etc) and have with a diet mixer.

I usually go for dark rum & diet coke with a wedge of lime :o)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Go for any unsweetened spirit (Gin, Vodka, Whiskey, Rum, tequila etc) and have with a diet mixer.

I usually go for dark rum & diet coke with a wedge of lime :o)

That's pretty much my advice too.

I'd follow it if spirit didn't wreck havoc with my digestion so I stick to the dry red and I'll nip some whiskey to end the night if available.

I can also recommend taking extra vitamin C before a 'big night', alcohol will leech it and practically you can't get enough vitamin C. And regular water, etc, etc. <Mum mode off ;)>
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    I posted this but unfortunately the alcohol took over and I ended up on wine, cider and black, vodka red bulls, sambucka, the list goes on....

Friday and Saturday! Feeling hungover, fat and extremely sorry for myself haha

Hope everyone is feeling better than I and has had a good weekend!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I posted this but unfortunately the alcohol took over and I ended up on wine, cider and black, vodka red bulls, sambucka, the list goes on....

As long as you enjoyed it, sometimes the social aspects outweigh the dietary :)

It's near 1am on a Monday morning here and I should be getting ready to start a new job mid-week but I am still up and drinking red wine so I guess we all have our ways of letting off steam ...

Sambucas good, I remember setting fire to a tablecloth in an Indian restaurant in the UK with those :) Not just me ... I think ... Dim and distant memory ...
  • cjthurman
    cjthurman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Red wine has 4g carb per 8oz...not bad if you only have one glass (note: this is double the 4oz serving recommendation - I don't do 4oz!). Wine also has benefits of course but I believe you would have to drink way too much of it to really matter. I do prefer red wine but also enjoy a good glass of single malt scotch! Ever since I went to Scotland and did scotch tastings, I've been hooked. And scotch has zero carbs.
  • gnr123
    Options

As long as you enjoyed it, sometimes the social aspects outweigh the dietary :)

It's near 1am on a Monday morning here and I should be getting ready to start a new job mid-week but I am still up and drinking red wine so I guess we all have our ways of letting off steam ...

Sambucas good, I remember setting fire to a tablecloth in an Indian restaurant in the UK with those :) Not just me ... I think ... Dim and distant memory ...

Your right, it's not every weekend I have a massive blow out...

Sambuca is the devils drink haha I still had the after taste come Sunday..

Hope your new job goes well.
  • gnr123
    Options
    Red wine has 4g carb per 8oz...not bad if you only have one glass (note: this is double the 4oz serving recommendation - I don't do 4oz!). Wine also has benefits of course but I believe you would have to drink way too much of it to really matter. I do prefer red wine but also enjoy a good glass of single malt scotch! Ever since I went to Scotland and did scotch tastings, I've been hooked. And scotch has zero carbs.

Scotch is my new choice of drink after this useful bit of information..

I'll test it out at the weekend :smile:
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

There lies a slippery slope, take it from this 41 year old.

The scotch and nicotine plan works for weight loss but in my experience it's not sustainable :D

Thanks for the job good wishes :)
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A nice dry champagne -- brut or extra brut -- works wonders for me and goes a long way to make a diet regimen more pleasant. I do find that skipping exercise on those days tends to make for a stall, so enjoy a drink but burn off the calories?
  • gnr123
    Options

There lies a slippery slope, take it from this 41 year old.

The scotch and nicotine plan works for weight loss but in my experience it's not sustainable :D

Thanks for the job good wishes :)

It was by no means a plan, I just meant if I fancied a taste of alcohol this weekend I would try a scotch as it is carb free..
    I am trying to stop smoking at the minute, boy it's hard work!!

No problem, hope your enjoying...Well as much as one can enjoy work :laugh:
  • gnr123
    Options
    A nice dry champagne -- brut or extra brut -- works wonders for me and goes a long way to make a diet regimen more pleasant. I do find that skipping exercise on those days tends to make for a stall, so enjoy a drink but burn off the calories?

To be absolutely honest it's rare I exercise at the weekend, unless dancing counts ha...But try to make up for it during the week..
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yes vodka, rum, tequila, etc.... mixed with soda water, diet coke, diet sprite, etc... or a nice glass of red wine!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Any of the hard liquors are carb free. I like firefly sweet tea vodka and water. You can also do the whip cream vodka with diet orange soda and it tastes like a creamsicle, if you want something sweet. But watch out, I had the sweet tea vodka this past Saturday and it went down WAYYYY too well. lol.
  • cjthurman
    Options
    Drat! I went and looked up Firefly sweet tea vodka and it has too many carbs for my plan - almost 7 carbs per ounce...oh well..looks like I'm sticking with scotch! ;)
  • cjthurman
    Options
    As a follow-up, watch out for the whipped cream vodka too if you're doing very low carb - 7.5g per 50ml. I did find out that Firefly has a "skinny" sweet tea vodka that has no carbs (I'm assuming they use some type of artificial sweetner?), but they do not carry that in my stores here - only the regular version - and it costs to much to ship so....I'm still back to the scotch!
  • cjthurman
    Options
    Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I got the official word from Firefly vodka and it is actually 6.6g per 1.5oz:

Dear CJ,

NUTRITION:

Sweet Tea:

Serving Size 1.5 oz.

Proof 70

Total Carbs (grams/serving) 6.6

Total sugar (grams/serving) 6.6

Calories 110

Skinny Tea:

Serving Sive 1.5 oz.

Proof 60

Carbs 0g

Protein 0g

Fat 0g

Calories 72

Hope This Helps!

Best regards,

Firefly Vodka

http://facebook.com/FireflyVodka

http://twitter.com/FireflyVodka
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just a question do we not count the sugar alchol in things like vodka... I thought we had too?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Un-flavoured (ie: plain, stright hard spirits) do not have carbs. Here is an article explaining this: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm

If your vodka or rum has a flavouring then chances are they have sugars added.

In terms of sugar alcohols, the product is still carb free but each person reacts differently to these. The body will burn the alcohol first as fuel, then carbohydrate. So you may have a slight stall in weight loss or be knowcked out of ketosis. This doesn't happen with everyone though.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hey,

you should not be drinking alcohol if you are in ketosis. It can kill you.

no. 1: you need glucose in you in order to digest alcohol.
    no. 2: alcohol drops your blood sugar levels, so if you are already in ketosis you are depleted
    no. 3: alcohol PREVENTS your body from producing KETONES, which starves the brain.

if you have no glucose or ketones feeding the brain you become toxic and go into a coma.

Please get at least 60 grams carbohydrates in you 12 hours prior to drinking!!!

If you are above 60g carbs a day you most likely are not in ketosis....

Once you start drinking your body consumes alcohol over any Fat, Protein, or Carb you digest from that point on! So with no glycogen stored in the body to help the enzymes eliminate the alcohol you can die from alcohol poisoning.

edited to add:
    "Once alcohol is in your system, your body makes metabolizing it a priority. That means that it will stop metabolizing anything else in order to first get the alcohol metabolized."http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page2.htm for the geeks like me who like facts.

and glucose levels: http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/page4.htm

remember, I give tips like this on my personal training facebook page Get Fit with Coach Teresa