Completed my first 1/2 yesterday!

Options
HMVOL7409
HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
I may have started out my weekend in crippling fear but it ended in such an amazing way; I finished my goal I set in March and ran every mile of my first 1/2 marathon yesterday! I had been struggling with IT Band issues for the last 3-4 weeks of training and couldn't run at all the last 2 weeks. I was so scared I wouldn't finish but my mind proved my body wrong! Granted I went slow as I was heavily advised to do so not to severly injure myself. That pace was comfortable and pushed me. Yes, it was disappointing a little bc it was 90 seconds off my usual pace but finishing, not time, was my goal now. I finished in 2:25 and loved it! There were many points in the race that were not easy and times I felt like giving up but had constant support around me from the crowds and other runners to push through! I was in pain but it was bearable enough to block out at times, especially when your passing children at every mile marker who've battled/or are still battling cancer. Your pain means nothing compared to them. Listed below are a few things I learned yesterday and I hope maybe they can help a little or inspire someone on the fence to just run, you won't regret it!!

I started running in Feb 2012 with C25K, did it again outside and then went on to Bridge to 10K then my 1/2 program. I love it and will run as long as my body allows me to. I can't wait to complete my next 1/2 as I have improving to do and return to being 100% healthy!!

13.1 Things I learned Today...

1. No matter how much your body tells you to give up, you are in control and CAN and WILL push through. Pain is temporary. Pride is FOREVER.
2. No matter how tired or focused you are, if a child reaches out for high five on the sidelines, you DO NOT ignore it! It's the greatest feeling and something for them to look up to.
3. Running Apps are a PIA. In a race ignore it, just use your music or the crowd. They're never right and sometimes the crowd or other runners kind words are all you need.
4. If you need to stop or walk please try to get to the side. Coming to a dead stop in the middle is not only dangerous but inconsiderate to others. Also I love groups but remember if you are running/walking 3-4 side by side think of the others trying to get around you and it's causing more running for them. Please, please don't do this.
5. Hills are evil. Incorporate them in your training though. :/
6. Pee before you start even if you think you don't have to!! Saw many people who had to make a stop before we even reached mile 1. Thank goodness I listened to my husband bc my bladder was full and I was too nervous to notice.
7. If in a large race with staggered starts and bitter cold, keep moving!!! Got to my corral at 7 as directed to but didn't start till 7:48. I was already stiff by then.
8. Being prepared is key. Have gear laid out the night before, double sock if need to, shower the night before, go to bed early bc you won't sleep, have a plan for your prerace meal and give yourself time to stretch before heading out. By doing this I was able to have myself up, ready and out the door in 30 mins which meant more time for sleep. However check your playlist too. Didn't realize I deleted my time consumed, well thought out 13.1 playlist somehow till the start. This was just another discouragement.
9. Don't forget to thank the volunteers, water people and crowds. Most important your support system. I was so scared and nervous I wasn't receptive at first to how much my husband was building me up and didn't realize it till middle of the race. Brought tears to my eyes bc he didn't have to get up at 4 am to make sure I was up to eat. He didn't have to stand with me in the bitter cold and he didn't have to worry and watch my tracker mile after mile praying my leg would hold up and I would finish. But he did and he had a bigger smile than me at the finish line. That is priceless.
10. There is a good chance you will cry at some point. Accept it. Whether its inspiring people you pass, pain or the feeling of accomplishment; it's overwhelming.
11. Running really isn't a competition with others. It's an uplifting and motivating sport full of encouraging others. Only compete with yourself and build up others.
12. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. Don't start the day before. Start the week before. Your body is a sponge and it will carry you through!
13. If you want to start running or want to sign up for a race but aren't sure, just do it. You'll have the WTF moment on the morning of but you'll never regret it. Just run. It's ok if you try it and don't like it, it's not for everyone. But...you tried. :)
13.1 Yes I'm in pain and can hardly move but I've never been more proud of myself than I am now and no one will ever be able to take that from me. :)

Replies

• drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!!! Congrats!
  • lila1980
    lila1980 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! I'm working up to my first half next summer, and I can't wait for that experience. I love reading stories like yours because it fuels my fire... I want one of my own! :)

Congrats!!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your story is inspiring and your tips are helpful! I have been in "training" for over a year mostly because I am too afraid to pull the trigger and sign up for a race. I need to just do it. What is the worst that can happen, right? So what if I have to walk or even (gasp) don't finish. It would just be something else to aim for the NEXT time, right?:smile:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half next May - loved reading your post and congratulations!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Thank you! And yes, just pull the trigger and sign up! I was battling tremendous nerves the day I registered for the race bc I really was questioning myself but I had many encouraging me to just do it and I am so glad I did!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was nervous for 2 weeks before the half this past Sunday. The taper period really got in my brain and I was doubting my ability to finish. It didnt help that I chose a hard half for my first one, climbing up a mountain 600 feet of elevation gain in about 1.4 miles...OUCH. Once getting to the top of the mountain, I got an extremely sharp pain in my abdominal area and cried for the next 2.5 miles until it magically went away. But the best feeling ever was turning the corner, .1 miles to the finish line, and seeing my family and a huge crowd there cheering everyone on. It brought tears to my eyes. All 13.1 things you listed are so very very true and I experienced almost all of them.

My next half is just 2.5 weeks away and the only change I plan on making is bringing my ipod. They werent allowed on last weeks course.

Good luck on your future goals!
  • DianaV86
    DianaV86 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    getting ready for my first half in two weeks..loved your post!
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Thank you!!! Good luck to you as well!
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Great post!
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Kudos on the completing your first (of many!) HMs.

That said, I disagree with some of your advice. For example, your "12. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. Don't start the day before. Start the week before. Your body is a sponge and it will carry you through!" is wrong in so many ways.

First, "Start the day before. Start the week before." makes no sense. You should hydrate the same way for the race that you do for every long run that you practiced. The week before (or for that matter, the day before) should not require any additional hydration. If it does, you've been doing something terribly wrong for a long time.

Second, your body is not a "sponge" and to treat it like one would be great if you lived in the ocean but you don't and to describe it that way is huge oversimplification. At the very least, your advice implies you can drink as much as you want and the rest will just run out. But drinking too much is very bad. Outcomes range from having to pee a lot (stopping in the race or, worse, waking up the night before) to having fluid slosh around in your stomach, having cramps, and having hyponatremia.
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Kudos on the completing your first (of many!) HMs.

That said, I disagree with some of your advice. For example, your "12. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. Don't start the day before. Start the week before. Your body is a sponge and it will carry you through!" is wrong in so many ways.

First, "Start the day before. Start the week before." makes no sense. You should hydrate the same way for the race that you do for every long run that you practiced. The week before (or for that matter, the day before) should not require any additional hydration. If it does, you've been doing something terribly wrong for a long time.

Second, your body is not a "sponge" and to treat it like one would be great if you lived in the ocean but you don't and to describe it that way is huge oversimplification. At the very least, your advice implies you can drink as much as you want and the rest will just run out. But drinking too much is very bad. Outcomes range from having to pee a lot (stopping in the race or, worse, waking up the night before) to having fluid slosh around in your stomach, having cramps, and having hyponatremia.

Well excuse me; seemed to work for me and many distance runners that gave this advice to me. I hardly had to stop to hydrate etc. Care to share your background seeing your profile shows nothing? Don't you feel your jumping to an over assumption before asking how much fluid intake I meant? While I appreciate your opinion and will gladly move forward continuing to do what worked for me, your tone and approach needs some serious work.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - welcome to a lifelong addiction to mileage :D

Totally agree with #13 except for the fact the WTF's moments come frequently at 5AM when you set out in the cold for that long run :D

More events on the horizon?
  • HMVOL7409
    Options
    Congratulations - welcome to a lifelong addiction to mileage :D

Totally agree with #13 except for the fact the WTF's moments come frequently at 5AM when you set out in the cold for that long run :D

More events on the horizon?

Definitely! Currently rehabing my knee and IT Band so as soon as I'm cleared to run I have some trail winter 5Ks I'm doing then at the New Year will kick up training again for 1/2. I have a half in May I'm looking at as well as the Air Force 1/2 in Sept. If I feel good and strong I will do this race again in October. 2014 will be my year to train for the Marine Corps Full if everything goes well!! :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post! Thanks for sharing in your experience. I agree with ALL of the points you listed as well. It's an emotional thing to conquer a race like this and you DID it!!!! Runners are awesome and I'm so grateful to be a part of the running community, both here on MFP and in general. Racing is a personal thing and I don't want to give it up... EVER!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You did a great job. And I toally agree with your list.

I know the feeling you are experiencing as well. I did my first hafl in Sept/2012. And that feeling is awesome. You feel so empowered, like you can conquer anything.
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great job on completing your first half! :drinker: Your post was very inspiring. I hope your knee and IT band get better soon!
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing! I just read your post as I sit here prparing to run my first half this morning!!! Congrats on your first half, you killed it! Thank you for all of the advice!
  • cameralinds
    Options
    My first half is next Sunday (11th). This post inspired me! Also, tapering this week is making me anxious just thinking about it.

Great post!
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half in April, thanks for the inspiration :)
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is such a great and inspiring post, especially for me since my 1st HM is on 11/18!! Thanks!!!!