Ever get that feeling....

Options
2»

Replies

• SweetBasil35
    SweetBasil35 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nah, just go to your local feedstore on Saturday or Sunday mornings at coffee time one of the following is bound to happen:
    1. He'll be sitting on a feed sack
    2. He be the son of a guy sitting on a feed sack
    3. He'll be the grandson of a guy sitting on a feed sack
    And you can't go wrong with a good ol' country boy.... a real one, not a Justin Beiber who wears one because it's cool.
    Check their boots though, if they are too clean.............NEXT!!!!!

I love it! :flowerforyou: I think it will take me all day to drive to my "local" feed store, but you guarantee results - right?! :drinker:
  • SweetBasil35
    Options
    To the OP: you are too damn cute for this to be true! Have your friends weigh in on this... are you sure you're not being too picky? (don't compromise the absolute necessities... but for instance a man no shorter than 6' is not really a necessity)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! I think I am going to cancel my EH subscription when it expires. I've gone a week and a half now without being "Matched" (even that drives down your self esteem). They tell me to broaden by search criteria, which I refuse to do. I won't budge on my age range (29 to 35) and I'm sorry, no guy from Nebraska is going to want to start communicating over the internet based on a profile. (at least that's my opinion).

Thanks for the clarity folks. Now goes back to the question... where is Mr. Right... hahahah

I know you won't believe me, but Mr. Right(s) are all around you.

If I was a girl, I would comb gyms and sports bars on Sunday for men. I frequent both and they are usually full to the brim with decent guys.

Nah, just go to your local feedstore on Saturday or Sunday mornings at coffee time one of the following is bound to happen:
    And you can't go wrong with a good ol' country boy.... a real one, not a Justin Beiber who wears one because it's cool.

Edit: typos

Save a horse, ride a cowboy ;)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I truly think Meetup.com is the way to go. It puts you in real life situations where everyone else is also looking to meet people -- whether friends or to date. And likely since you are part of the same group, you have at least some interests in common already.

Meetups are a distinct world.

I found them to be a mixed bag for purposes of finding people to date. The main advantage of Meetups is getting out in front of people and getting the in person experience right away. However, in a typical Meetup, only about 1-2 people who attend the event are going to meet your qualifications, whatever they are. So you're showing up to an event for the privilege of talking to 1-2 people.

You have to avoid groups on Meetup specifically labeled "Singles". These groups tend to be unstable and also produce some of the worst human behaviors and quality of singles. Many desirable female singles are turned off by what goes on in these groups, making the selection poor for males. These groups are usually middle aged divorcees.

Look for common interest groups. There are many generic common interests like 20s/30s, Professionals, etc. These generic interest groups are not singles per se, but most attendees are singles, especially if the group is having a bar mix n' mingle type event. No person in a relationship would logically go to the bar mix n mingle type events, because working a room is usually pretty unpleasant. The bar mix n' mingle Meetup events are advantage over a random night at the bar, because people are easier to talk to due to common group membership, but the bar mix n mingle events can be quite emotionally draining.

The best Meetup events involve you doing something you enjoy. For me, I'm an athletic type, so the best Meetups are ones where I am playing sand volleyball, tennis, etc. So I'd recommend focusing on Meetups that involve activities you like rather than the Happy Hour/bar mix n' mingle type events. You may not meet someone that way, but at least you'll enjoy yourself.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Save a horse, ride a cowboy ;)
    [/quote]

HAHA, my sentiments EXACTLY!!!
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Well hello there. flirtysmile1.gif

I just burst out laughing at that emoticon!! bahahahahahaha
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! I think I am going to cancel my EH subscription when it expires. I've gone a week and a half now without being "Matched" (even that drives down your self esteem). They tell me to broaden by search criteria, which I refuse to do. I won't budge on my age range (29 to 35) and I'm sorry, no guy from Nebraska is going to want to start communicating over the internet based on a profile. (at least that's my opinion).

Thanks for the clarity folks. Now goes back to the question... where is Mr. Right... hahahah

If I was a girl, I would comb gyms and sports bars on Sunday for men. I frequent both and they are usually full to the brim with decent guys.

LOL, so Carl, gotta ask do you fall under 1, 2, or 3 ha ha ha let's go with #3! Now lemme check your boots!
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    DM, I asked this on another thread and don't think you saw it, so here it goes again:

In theory I agree with you that meeting people in person to date is best. However, I've been back on the dating scene since January and have yet to meet someone new worth dating in real life. Seems like everyone is married or just not in my age range, or a thousand other factors, and at least I know guys online want to date... Since you preach in-person over online dating so often, do you have any personal success stories or ideas for meeting someone to share with the rest of us? By the way, this is not sarcasm, I'm sincerely interested. I assume you wouldn't be touting it if it hasn't worked for you personally on numerous occasions.

Yes, I did miss this. So thanks for re-posting.

In theory, you agree with me. In practice, what I may suggest is to evaluate your day to day regimen and perhaps make some changes. Day to day regimens are not set in stone.

I have some success stories from in person. As for ideas, I have fleshed out my perspective on Meetups (a distinct world that has its own nuances). I think the best ways for meeting people is to talk to everyone you know, tell them you are single, and ask for referrals/fix ups. Also, through common interests, but make sure the interest is something where your target market would. A woman into knitting likely isn't going to find a man there. A man into Star Trek and science fiction stuff is going to have a real hard time finding compatible women.

I more tout in person, because I don't think highly of the online process from experience. Nor do I feel all that warm and fuzzy about the singles bar scene.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

In theory, you agree with me. In practice, what I may suggest is to evaluate your day to day regimen and perhaps make some changes. Day to day regimens are not set in stone.

I have some success stories from in person. As for ideas, I have fleshed out my perspective on Meetups (a distinct world that has its own nuances). I think the best ways for meeting people is to talk to everyone you know, tell them you are single, and ask for referrals/fix ups. Also, through common interests, but make sure the interest is something where your target market would. A woman into knitting likely isn't going to find a man there. A man into Star Trek and science fiction stuff is going to have a real hard time finding compatible women.

I more tout in person, because I don't think highly of the online process from experience. Nor do I feel all that warm and fuzzy about the singles bar scene.

You freaking crack me up. =) I would date the hell out of you! lol
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Did you ever try or have any high regard for newspaper personals back in the 80s or 90s?

This is a great perspective. Online dating is simply the evolution of that avenue from back in the day. It should be viewed through the same lens. I get the sense that many members of this group weren't on the singles scene back in the 80s/90s. The singles scene changes dramatically over time. I would call a generation on the singles scene about 5-7 years, because the pool of singles changes pretty rapidly.

You freaking crack me up. =) I would date the hell out of you! lol

Thanks Jennifer! :flowerforyou:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I truly think Meetup.com is the way to go. It puts you in real life situations where everyone else is also looking to meet people -- whether friends or to date. And likely since you are part of the same group, you have at least some interests in common already.

Meetups are a distinct world.

I found them to be a mixed bag for purposes of finding people to date. The main advantage of Meetups is getting out in front of people and getting the in person experience right away. However, in a typical Meetup, only about 1-2 people who attend the event are going to meet your qualifications, whatever they are. So you're showing up to an event for the privilege of talking to 1-2 people.

You have to avoid groups on Meetup specifically labeled "Singles". These groups tend to be unstable and also produce some of the worst human behaviors and quality of singles. Many desirable female singles are turned off by what goes on in these groups, making the selection poor for males. These groups are usually middle aged divorcees.

Look for common interest groups. There are many generic common interests like 20s/30s, Professionals, etc. These generic interest groups are not singles per se, but most attendees are singles, especially if the group is having a bar mix n' mingle type event. No person in a relationship would logically go to the bar mix n mingle type events, because working a room is usually pretty unpleasant. The bar mix n' mingle Meetup events are advantage over a random night at the bar, because people are easier to talk to due to common group membership, but the bar mix n mingle events can be quite emotionally draining.

The best Meetup events involve you doing something you enjoy. For me, I'm an athletic type, so the best Meetups are ones where I am playing sand volleyball, tennis, etc. So I'd recommend focusing on Meetups that involve activities you like rather than the Happy Hour/bar mix n' mingle type events. You may not meet someone that way, but at least you'll enjoy yourself.

I don't know how you all meetup groups...I'd be scared to meet one guy from online dating, but a whole group? All the more power to you!
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for responding to my 2 a.m. rant! haha. Especially the ones who think I'm cute! hahaha

There were too many items to quote, so I'm just going to try and hit the ones I wanted to respond to (or that I could remember haha).

As for being too picky, I don't think that's the case. I've been asked out on five dates in five years. I've accepted all but one. And with many of those guys, there were things that I overlooked that in my "perfect world scenario" would have been issues. (IE appearance, personality, etc.)

I also think that I come from a small town, and when I say I know everybody. I truly know everybody. If I don't know them, I'm a "Kevin Bacon six-degrees of separation from them." Which makes it hard!

Also, I know online dating isn't the "be all, end all" of the world, I guess I'm just in a "I've tried everything else" (or at least I think I have) situation. All of my friends are married and have kids. I've been in 10 weddings in 10 years. About to be in my 11th next year, just starting to get to me that I've never even been close.

Thanks all again! I truly thank all of MFP family!
  • SweetBasil35
    Options
    Also, through common interests, but make sure the interest is something where your target market would. A woman into knitting likely isn't going to find a man there. A man into Star Trek and science fiction stuff is going to have a real hard time finding compatible women.

Hey, just because we knit doesn't mean we don't like to get our groove on, too! :drinker:
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Hey, just because we knit doesn't mean we don't like to get our groove on, too! :drinker:

I'm sure there are many women who knit who can get a groove on. The point was that a woman probably isn't going to meet the single man she desires at a knitting club function.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

LOL, so Carl, gotta ask do you fall under 1, 2, or 3 ha ha ha let's go with #3! Now lemme check your boots!

Getting too close to #1 :ohwell: :embarassed:
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i totally agree with this! ( assuming that's your type of guy). there are three at mine that i literally swoon over! LOL they all work there so i see them a lot.
    yesterday, i was talking to a trainer at my gym, turns out he lives 5 min from me. my gym is 40 min from my house.... so, what are the chances? ya know! i'm not interested, he is very forth coming and has loads of issues...... but, he's really good looking!!

i'm on one site, free, and i have come to expect little of it. i've had some decent dates from it, but in the end *I* am not interested in pursuing.

i'm not sure that guys have it harder. i think, in online dating, both men and women have it hard.

• Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yo.. Try meet up groups. Try meeting people through your friends. Start hosting potlucks and have people bring others.

J
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options

I'm sure there are many women who knit who can get a groove on. The point was that a woman probably isn't going to meet the single man she desires at a knitting club function.

Knitter here lol

I do get it, I've gone to meet ups..I like them but I'm shy and most of the men that I chatted with in the course of some hikes seemed to talk about their girlfriends alot :(. And then its the time to make the meet ups that interest me.

Also what activity do I pick that would have more men involved that I would actually have an interest in?...my mother really wants me to get into golfing..I can certainly see that would be an activity that men would be involved in..problem..GOLF IS BORING, I hate everything about it other than it keeps my parents active and healthy. I run with different running clubs...mostly women or married men...I've tried salsa (yeah probably stupid idea for single men)..the gym that I went to last night had alot of men my age ish who were eye candy lol...but at the gym I feel unattractive and like a cow compared to the other women.

Other suggestions of places to meet singles that is not a bar..not online, and active but not totally masculine would be appreciated..but to me it seems like men are loners they don't join things unless its for male bonding...ie hockey/wings night/team sports..they don't tend to join mixed group activities unless their girl friends drag them along. Guys any thoughts?
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Also what activity do I pick that would have more men involved that I would actually have an interest in?...my mother really wants me to get into golfing..I can certainly see that would be an activity that men would be involved in..problem..GOLF IS BORING, I hate everything about it other than it keeps my parents active and healthy. I run with different running clubs...mostly women or married men...I've tried salsa (yeah probably stupid idea for single men)..the gym that I went to last night had alot of men my age ish who were eye candy lol...but at the gym I feel unattractive and like a cow compared to the other women.

Other suggestions of places to meet singles that is not a bar..not online, and active but not totally masculine would be appreciated..but to me it seems like men are loners they don't join things unless its for male bonding...ie hockey/wings night/team sports..they don't tend to join mixed group activities unless their girl friends drag them along. Guys any thoughts?

Guys who are motivated to find a woman will join a mixed group activity. Guys often complain that bars and online are sausage fests, which they are!