Introductions

Options
Hi, just looking for any other WAPFers or anyone trying to incorporate traditional foods and nutrition into their weight loss efforts. Cara :)

Replies

• CaraBeara1
    Options
    I saw Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil listed in the foods, so I know there is at least one other out there. :)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I saw Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil listed in the foods, so I know there is at least one other out there. :)

I take a sip from my bottle every day I guess I should log it.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am very far from perfect but this is what I aspire to! This is how I want to eat and feed my family! Hope to follow along!

D
  • mominpa
    mominpa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Me... (not in the last 3 weeks-- and it shows/feels it-- i am HUNGRY all the time--- and BLOATED all the time-- UGHH))

I do normally follow a WAP type diet--- we actually did a GAPS "plant" for 3 months-- that was WONDERFUL-- the weight just fell of and we all felt GREAT-- need to do that again.

I am all or nothing-- all good or all bad!! LOL
  • mikefarinha
    mikefarinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well, this may not be an active group but at least it's nice to know there are few people here into the WAPF nutrition.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm new to WAPF though I've known about it for a few years. I like the idea of Real Food but am still a little shy of trying cod liver oil! : )
  • mominpa
    Options
    :) WELCOME. We do our FCLO with a shot of orange juice....you never know its there.
  • mominpa
    Options
    Have to add... my family went back on the GAPS diet protocol for many reasons. Logging in my BONE broth FULL gelatin...is so funny..... it is super calorie loaded and super fat loaded (of course) yet I have lost 3lbs in just 2 days. My body needs this FULL gelatinious broth right now......but sometime logging in these foods is eye opening.

I also never though to log in my FCLO until readin this-- (thanks by they way that gives me any extra 80 calories!!!!!!!) oh well-- again-- I can tell my body does VERY well with that.
  • suncat
    suncat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I there, I'm a (mostly) WAPFer trying to lose without compromising my nutrition. Unfortunately, not doing all that well, so far.
  • mominpa
    Options
    I have to just share I am THRILLED with my weight loss and other perks from starting the GAPS diet almost a week ago!!

This is our second time on it-- and it is such a great deotox and healing diet!!!

I have lost .5 lbs (or more) a day and I am feeling GREAT!!!

I also have LOST my sweet / carb cravings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahooo..... I have a terrible time with sweets and carbs...and I do remember last time on this "diet" I lost that HORRIBLE cycle of craving sweets and carbs ALL THE TIME.... it takes about 3-4 days and then it does GO AWAY. Those HEALTHY FATS are so key though-- I HAVE to keep up my FAT level or else I get HUNGRY.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off of WAPF diet for two years now. I've been sticking with nourishing traditional food as much as I can. In a few months I'll be moving to a state where raw milk can be legally purchased in a grocery store. I'm so excited! I must admit I hate living in a state where local farmers are punished and treated like criminals for trying to provide people with raw milk.
  • moneymeg
    moneymeg Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello! I have been in the process of incorporating WAPF principles over the course of the last year or two. Was glad to see some like-minded folks here at MFP. The question I would love to have answered is whether monitoring calories and continuing to eat a WAPF-friendly diet has helped y'all to lose weight?
  • tkgraham
    Options
    I wish this group was more active now that I found it! I have been working on eating a traditional diet for several years and I do well sometimes and less well others. My son is adopted and he was on the homemade cow's milk formula and he eats raw dairy (we all do). Haven't done as much fermenting although I'd like to. Anyway, though I know how I SHOULD eat, I haven't been and am nearly 100 pounds overweight. I was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes and freaked out. Now I'm taking it very seriously and just want others eating the same way to connect with.
  • melanyrae62
    Options
    Hi all, Let's get this conversation going! I'm new here, eat primarily a 'nourishing traditions' type diet, and am big in the organic/non-gmo food movement. Just wrote a book on edible weeds (due out in August) and have begun another on eating invasive species.

Now I need to lose 20 pounds. I find myself reverting back to some old standby's like diet jello (red dye #2, nutrasweet, etc). Ugha. Need some help balancing my desire to lose weight with my desire to eat within my environmental/political/health ethic.
  • HomesteadHoney
    Options
    Hi, I moved to the city last summer so can no longer produce my own raw milk. We do have some leads and might be getting some again soon. We get a local, organic CSA box each week and it is a great help in getting vegetables in the diet. My roommate is very focused on using each week's veggies before the new box comes. We are also able to get true grass-fed chicken eggs.
    I am not sure what # calories and protein to aim at.
    Any other WAPF types currently active in this group?
    @melaneyray-eating invasive species is such a good idea! I remember reading that lambsquarter was more nutritious than spinach.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm here!!!! I follow 80/20 Primal WAPF and would love to find some peoples who do to or at least understand traditional foods. Hit me up if any of y'all are still around :)
  • Aspieb
    Aspieb Posts: 26
    Options
    We're mostly WAPF around here, though not as strictly as we used to be. My life got very out of balance for a while, so I had to let some things go. Still working on that balance thing.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Balance is always a struggle for me, as well. I'm very all-or-nothing. Best of luck on your journey!
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was just having a conversation with the hubs about how to incorporate more traditionally prepared foods in our diet and not spending all my time in the kitchen. I mean, in addition to my ferments, booch, and WK, I would love to start making sourdough on a weekly basis as well as keeping soaked and sprouted things going. I would much prefer to eat something made by my hands than bought. Luckily I have the luxury of being a stay at home wife but it does get daunting to make everything from scratch! Thinking about making a weekly calendar to keep myself on track.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello! Good to see some others eating (and preparing!) traditional foods. I follow the WAPF guidelines about 90% or so. I don't sprout my grain; I figure using freshly ground wheat berries and making my own breads and bakeries will just have to be good enough. :). We are blessed in having enough land to keep our own milk cow and grow the bulk of our own vegetables, which makes a traditional diet very much easier than having to source "contra-band" food. ????.

Do any of you find that although you look and feel healthy and strong, the extra weight doesn't seem to move off very quickly with eating this way? Or is it just me? I have lost some weight, but it's REALLY slow, like less than a pound a week, and lots of plateaus. I usually eat in the 1200-1400 calories a day category.

Anyways! Hello to all, and hope to see some discussions in here :)