Metrosexual Men (high maintenance men)

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
Two questions to kick off this thread.

1. Guys-what are your thoughts on high maintenance women? Do you want them around?

2. Ladies-Do you consider yourself high maintenance? Why or why not?

Why does this topic have to only be about women? Can't men be high maintenance too? Isn't that part of how the word 'metrosexual' came into being?
start a high maintenance men thread... oh the stories i could tell :laugh:

Ok Topic started. I'll go first. I hate my hair. I have a hard time going out without having some sorta gel, pomade, some product in it. It's like the ladies and make up. I will be going out to the grocery store to get milk at 2AM. NO ONE will effin' see me besides the 1 or 2 graveyarder grocery clerk working there, and I still have to have something in my hair. It poofs up when it's dry. I don't like the poofy look. :laugh:

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If we learned anything from the last thread, the term high maintenance is an extremely relative and everyone has a different interpretation.

I'd consider myself fairly high maintenance. If I go out in public, I try to look my best. I enjoy talking to people and always want to put my best foot forward.

In fact, I insist upon making small talk everytime I go out. Heck, I even make a game out of it. Everytime I go to grocery store, I make myself talk to at least 2 people there. Yesterday, I saw a relatively attractive girl and I asked her where the Greek yogurt was. I could tell from her response (an emotionless "in the back" respond) that she wasn't interested. Doesn't matter if she's hot or not.. it doesn't even need to be a girl, I'd make small talk with anyone. The grocery bagger was wearing a University of Miami shirt, I talked to him for a minute about their football team.

This take a certain amount of confidence. For me, the better your appearance the more confident you are. That is why I always viewed being high maintenance as a very positive trait.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    This take a certain amount of confidence. For me, the better your appearance the more confident you are. That is why I always viewed being high maintenance as a very positive trait.

I dont think high maintenance has anything to do with confidence or dressing well. Quite the opposite in fact!! I think high maintenance is lacking in self esteem, needy and selfish. And as for dressing 'well', I find high maint peeps dress way over the top, tacky and badly!! But hey, my taste can be wacky as well as classic, so I'm not judging really,.........:huh:

I know we said we all have different definitions, but if a guy came up to me in a grocery store looking well groomed and asked me where the yogurt was I wouldn't immediately think "uh, oh!! high maint" I would say "hey, how ya doin?"

However, if a guy came up to me in the grocery store and asked me to test hair products out with him, asked me which one smells best, and which one made his hair stick up just right, I'd think ................well, I think I'd just laugh! :laugh:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I think, as in the sister thread for women, we have a definition issue.

For me, high maintenance women are women that require high maintenance (from me). Not women who spend a lot of time on themselves. Quite frankly, if it takes them an hour to get ready, I don't mind, so long as they are ready to go on time. They become "high maintenance" in that scenario when I have to start calling the restaurant pushing back our reservation, canceling the taxi, texting our friends that we'll be late, etc., etc. And if it happens on a regular basis. Anyone can be late once. But if it's a pattern? High maintenance.

Also, high maintenance women always make mountains out of molehills. Everything is an Italian opera. Forgetting to buy the milk (to steal a recent example from another thread) becomes a 2-hour fight over commitment to the relationship.

So for me, the fact that you put gel in your hair at 2 am, although odd, seems completely irrelevant as to whether you are high maintenance for your significant other.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Two questions to kick off this thread.

1. Guys-what are your thoughts on high maintenance women? Do you want them around?

2. Ladies-Do you consider yourself high maintenance? Why or why not?

Why does this topic have to only be about women? Can't men be high maintenance too? Isn't that part of how the word 'metrosexual' came into being?
    start a high maintenance men thread... oh the stories i could tell :laugh:

Ok Topic started. I'll go first. I hate my hair. I have a hard time going out without having some sorta gel, pomade, some product in it. It's like the ladies and make up. I will be going out to the grocery store to get milk at 2AM. NO ONE will effin' see me besides the 1 or 2 graveyarder grocery clerk working there, and I still have to have something in my hair. It poofs up when it's dry. I don't like the poofy look. :laugh:

I dont know many guys that dont look after their hair. I think you're pretty normal hun :flowerforyou:

However, you're not allowed to spend more time in the bathroom than me!!! :laugh:
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I'm maintained :wink:
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I dont know many guys that dont look after their hair. I think you're pretty normal hun :flowerforyou:

I don't look after my hair. I haven't owned a comb or brush for 20 years or so (actually, maybe since high school). I just keep it short and don't worry about it.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    They become "high maintenance" in that scenario when I have to start calling the restaurant pushing back our reservation, canceling the taxi, texting our friends that we'll be late, etc., etc. And if it happens on a regular basis. Anyone can be late once. But if it's a pattern? High maintenance.

Also, high maintenance women always make mountains out of molehills. Everything is an Italian opera. Forgetting to buy the milk (to steal a recent example from another thread) becomes a 2-hour fight over commitment to the relationship.

Yes, I'd agree with your definition - me, me, me!!! I used to have a friend like this, it's pretty draining!
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

I don't look after my hair. I haven't owned a comb or brush for 20 years or so (actually, maybe since high school). I just keep it short and don't worry about it.

--P

Ok, I know one then!!! :laugh:
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I dated a high maintenance man once .. what made him seem high maintenance to me was .. he always had to iron his clothes .. even if we were just hanging out and he was wearing a t-shirt and shorts .. they were ironed. He ironed his boxers. He had to have his hair cut every 2 weeks, had more clothes than I did. Would never sit on the ground .. ever .. he once pulled out MY sweatshirt and sat on it! WTF. He would never do anything that would get him dirty. He wouldn't even pour in windshield washer fluid into my car at the gas station .. he made me get out and do it .. "its your car" . Yeh .. we didn't last very long.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I am the antithesis of the word Metrosexual.
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    I think, as in the sister thread for women, we have a definition issue.

For me, high maintenance women are women that require high maintenance (from me). Not women who spend a lot of time on themselves. Quite frankly, if it takes them an hour to get ready, I don't mind, so long as they are ready to go on time. They become "high maintenance" in that scenario when I have to start calling the restaurant pushing back our reservation, canceling the taxi, texting our friends that we'll be late, etc., etc. And if it happens on a regular basis. Anyone can be late once. But if it's a pattern? High maintenance.

So for me, the fact that you put gel in your hair at 2 am, although odd, seems completely irrelevant as to whether you are high maintenance for your significant other.

--P

I've always thought of myself as high maintenance. But, by your definition, I'm anything but. I'll eat anything in sight, I'm a human garbage disposal :laugh:

Heck, I'm also always on time and can usually let stuff slide too.

I never thought of guys who are needy or need constant help or assistance to be high maintenance. They are usually just wussies or mooches. Which are two thing I absolutely abhor.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

--P

I've gotten mercilessly teased by my SO's about it. :laugh:

I dated a high maintenance man once .. what made him seem high maintenance to me was .. he always had to iron his clothes .. even if we were just hanging out and he was wearing a t-shirt and shorts .. they were ironed. He ironed his boxers.
    Ironed his boxers.............ok that's interesting.....
    Would never sit on the ground .. ever .. he once pulled out MY sweatshirt and sat on it! WTF. He would never do anything that would get him dirty.

Wow. He sat on your own sweater? That's just....I'm at loss for words.....
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    They become "high maintenance" in that scenario when I have to start calling the restaurant pushing back our reservation, canceling the taxi, texting our friends that we'll be late, etc., etc. And if it happens on a regular basis. Anyone can be late once. But if it's a pattern? High maintenance.

Yes, I'd agree with your definition - me, me, me!!! I used to have a friend like this, it's pretty draining!

Oy! No bashing Italian opera!! :laugh: It's a good definition, and I think Anna had a point about the difference between what we might call 'visually high-maintenance' and presenting yourself well. I also agree with Anna that often the visually high-maintenance types look (to me) pretty tacky - it's the difference between being well-groomed, and having half the beauty counter on your face/head at any given moment.

I wonder what we collectively think about men who are possessive and being 'high-maintenance'. Someone who wanted my exclusive attention, all the time, to the exclusion of my friends and other acquaintances, who pouted or had a tantrum when I talked to anyone else, or had an event to go to without him...is he high-maintenance, or possessive, or are they facets of each other?
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    .. he once pulled out MY sweatshirt and sat on it! WTF.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jen, your stories are cracking me up today!!!! :laugh:
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    .. he once pulled out MY sweatshirt and sat on it! WTF.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jen, your stories are cracking me up today!!!! :laugh:

Y'all wonder why I am so freaking jaded towards men .. lol
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I never thought of guys who are needy or need constant help or assistance to be high maintenance. They are usually just wussies or mooches. Which are two thing I absolutely abhor.

Completely agree. I really can't stand this in men. It's embarrassing.

--P
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My definition of high maintenance man: my ex husband. Whiny, "I need attention", "why can't we discuss how I feel?"~Ugh! I understand being there for your partner, but 24/7 discussions about him? No, thank you, as Toby Keith says, sometimes I wanna talk about ME! lol
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    LOL ... One of my best friends is extremely metro-sexual high maintence and to boot when he has a girl he is a clinger :huh: ... Just in case you guys havent figured it out we like to breath our own oxygen not have you breath for us (yes he was that bad).. He came over one time to get ready with us and took 2 hours. Mind you all the ladies showered did our hair and make up and where still waiting around for him. THis is why he now meets us at the places we are going to. He only shops at Nordstroms....

I dont like high maintenance guys. I like my men a little rough and scruffy preferably rockers. Anyone who takes longer to ger ready then me is a problem. Also if I have to fight you for the mirror its a problem.

BTW most guys I know but some kinda product in their hair. We live in south florida if you dont humidity ruins your world lol so dont worry about that Laycrox
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My definition of high maintenance man: my ex husband. Whiny, "I need attention", "why can't we discuss how I feel?"~Ugh! I understand being there for your partner, but 24/7 discussions about him? No, thank you, as Toby Keith says, sometimes I wanna talk about ME! lol

^^^ and men who cry.... I dont mean something really bad happened and your upset so you cry. I mean were fighting and you decide to bust out with the water works like a girl. I will literally see red.
  • MikeM53082
    Options

^^^ and men who cry.... I dont mean something really bad happened and your upset so you cry. I mean were fighting and you decide to bust out with the water works like a girl. I will literally see red.

Like the song and the movie.. boys don't cry. Or at least they aren't suppose to.

Unless it's the death of someone special in your life or something absolutely horrific, men have no business crying in public.