Calorie deficit in Keto

Options
beccyleigh
beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
I am getting mixed messages about calorie deficit in Keto.

Some sources say just eat until full & don't CC & others say the opposite.

So wondering what is the experience of other Keto-ers.

Thanks

Replies

• Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    Bump

I've wondered about this so thank you for posting. In the 7 weeks I've been low carb I have found that it's hard to over eat the protein and fat , you just get too full and stay full longer, naturally stopping the cals from getting too high.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am getting mixed messages about calorie deficit in Keto.

Some sources say just eat until full & don't CC & others say the opposite.

So wondering what is the experience of other Keto-ers.

Thanks

You can put on weight in Keto just as you can in any other nutritional plan.

Well, I can (and did) anyway. Without much of a calorie rise too to be honest.

I was usually under 50g carbs a day (usually quite a way under) so if I wasn't Keto I was close.

To be honest the only thing that has kicked me along recently is watching the calories.

This is part of the reason for me recently returning to a more balanced plan, if I'm going to watch the calories I may as well have some more variety. Plus I have a new job and I really don't want to add any dietary choice stress on top of everything.

Having read around the subject (not just the Paleo/Keto/Low Carb-focused stuff which tend to ignore the non-insulin fattening mechanisms) I couldn't really see any metabolic advantage in staying Keto from a fat-burning perspective.

I do see the on-going advantage in keeping the carbs relatively low from a hunger/blood sugar point of view though, so that's my plan ... A kind of anything goes but 'carb aware' thing.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    I def weant to keep carbs low from an insulin point of view as I am type 2 & just feel better in general on low carb.

I think I will stick to my 1500 cal plan as a low carber (50g & under) & will adjust up if I need to on exercise days.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    I try and stay below 50 g carb too and 1270 cals,I can't help believing that cals in v cals out are still relevant
  • ronellevan
    Options
    If you are sticking to a proper low carb/high fat diet, the calorie deficit thing does not matter (I don't know why, but it really doesn't.)

As people have said, it is kind of hard to eat too much on a proper low carb/high fat diet because you get full from the proteins and fats quicker.
    But fat has a higher calorie content per gram so it bumps up calories quickly.

That said, any one who over eats is going to gain weight.
    So you eat until physically (not mentally) satisfied and no more - more = over eating.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough in the old Atkins book they pretty much say eat whatever you want, just low carbs and you'll be fine, but the New Atkins book says you have to control calories too. They recommend 1500 to 1700 Cals for women. I work on 1500 Cals which takes into account exercise calories as well, and that's working for me. I feel much better on a low carb diet, less hungry all the time, so will stick to it. As always, that mythical promise that you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't eat the carbs is just too good to be true.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I agree it is harder to fill your calorie quota as a low carber (being that many of the cals in my old diet used to be from starchy carbs). Therefore it's important to get your calories from fats, in particular healthier sources of fat from nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados etc....

Everyone is different with regards to calorie defecits and calorie counts when low carbing. Part of the work is finding that 'sweet spot' in terms of carbs/cals. I do beleive height & starting weight still play an important role calorie wise. Take myself for example I am 6'1" and 260 so my body will need more to function than someone who is say 5'1" and 140.

I generally aim for under 50g too (I have recently upped this from <20g) and do not pay too much attention to cals, but I am anywhere between 1300 and 1900 cals.

Have a play around with your numbers and see what works for you.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I try and stay below 50 g carb too and 1270 cals,I can't help believing that cals in v cals out are still relevant

Less than 1300! Ouch
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Funnily enough in the old Atkins book they pretty much say eat whatever you want, just low carbs and you'll be fine, but the New Atkins book says you have to control calories too. They recommend 1500 to 1700 Cals for women. I work on 1500 Cals which takes into account exercise calories as well, and that's working for me. I feel much better on a low carb diet, less hungry all the time, so will stick to it. As always, that mythical promise that you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't eat the carbs is just too good to be true.

Yep, I kind of bought into the 'little carbs, little insulin, no fat gain' thing too. I tested it (and I track everything), didn't work out. I didn't pig out on the calories either.

In the end the reduction in hunger is the main draw for lowish-carbing for me. Nowt wrong with that either.

Anyone expecting to eat anything they like with no consequences should be warned though ... Bacon too ;)
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 pounds on south beach several years ago but I went back to old habitats (just got lazy with food choices) and high carbs and gained it all back. But I never counted anything while I did it (wish I had now for a reference) just followed the south beach book.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I lost over 30 pounds on south beach several years ago but I went back to old habitats (just got lazy with food choices) and high carbs and gained it all back. But I never counted anything while I did it (wish I had now for a reference) just followed the south beach book.

I think tracking/counting can be a blessing and a curse ... once you start you can never get the idea that 'x food = x carbs/calories" out of your head

My ultimate aim is to just eat food closest to it's natural state and recognise my natural hunger signals. I really don't want to be bothered with macronutrients or calories. Some daily fruit, some protein, some bread, some whatever ... it's all good ....
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's been a couple of months since I've counted carbs or calories and I'm still losing weight. It's not that calories don't matter it's that for a lot of people eating a low carb diet is just a naturally satisfying way to eat.

My calories are anywhere between 1,000 - 2,000 a day and my carbs are usually well under 50g although the days I indulge in more fruit than my usual berries they're much higher. I think it's working for me still because I don't eat the low carb diet products (Joseph's bread, Dreamfields pasta etc.) or make all of the low carb recipes for breads, pancakes and that sort of thing.

Meat with the fat and skin on, all the non-starchy vegetables I want, a bowl of berries almost every day and as much fat as I can possibly add to each of my meals. I cook in lard, butter and olive oil and often add more than I really need like why fry my eggs in 1 tablespoon of butter when I can use 2 -- that sort of thing. I use cheese, sour cream and heavy cream a lot too. I eat until I'm absolutely full (sometimes stuffed just because it tastes so good) and then I don't eat again until I'm hungry. So I usually eat 2 high calorie meals a day (500 - 800 calories) and maybe a 300ish calorie snack just because I like to eat at night.

It feels like I eat an absolute ton of food and none of it's deliberately low calorie which is why I think they say that calories don't matter. Eat bacon, eggs and cabbage with a bowl of berries for breakfast and then follow that up with a big steak w/ butter and a nice salad with as much full fat dressing as you like and then maybe a big serving of sour cream and onion dip with veggies for a snack later and it really does seem like calories don't matter. No disgusting 0 calorie frankenfoods, dipping your fork into salad dressing on the side, or putting your fork down between each bite, drinking a glass of water before you eat, going to the gym so you can "afford" to eat more or any of the other weird little tricks people come up with -- just a whole lot of delicious food -- that's probably only about 1,600 calories total for the day even though none of it is diet food and all of it seems pretty indulgent.

Calories do matter but if you eat the right foods you don't even need to think about it, the same with carbs.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    Thanks all, I will stick to my 1500 & bump up when I feel the need, I am mainly focusing on under 50g of carbs & letting the protein & fat fall into place.

One question, what veg do you have with dinner? I am finding it really hard to know what veg to have with dinner. I tend to have a leafy salad with cucumber, sweetcorn, beetroot, mayo or blue cheese but evenings are a bit of a stump. I've never been that much of a veggie person so it's even harder when restricted by carbs.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking a lot of side dishes from here http://yourlighterside.com/your-lighter-side-cookbook/

I'm cooking for four people, most of which aren't low carbing.. but I've gotten more enthusiasm over my cooking than ever. Baked cauliflower, and loaded broccoli were huge hits.. and although I've never liked bell peppers.. I roasted some tonight in the oven and loved those too.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Bell peppers are a winner here too, we had a quiche with bacon, spinach, peppers, sweet potato and zucchini tonight ... Not much wrong with that nutritionally.

I am a more enthusiastic cook thanks to low carbing for sure, a lot more focus on natural, nutrient-dense food.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that if I watch my calorie count, keeping it in a deficit, along with low carb I lose weight. If I don't watch my calories and just keep my carbs low I maintain my weight. If I don't watch either, I gain. Low carb eating makes me feel physically better all over and keeps my BG levels down.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Veggies to have with dinner- Some ideas:

- Big rocket (Arugula) & parmesan salad with lemon, black pepper & olive oil dressing.
    - Courgette (Zucchini) Ribbons (Done with a veg peeler) sauteed in butter or have raw with chilli dressing/ evoo.
    - Broccoli dressed in butter, evoo or sesame oil.
    - Shredded savoy cabbage stir fried with butter.
    - Shredded chinese leaf stir fried with garlic, chilli & sesame oil.
    - Steamed/stir fried pak choi with ginger & Tamari
    - Creamed spinach
    - Tomato & Basil salad
    - Brussels sprouts with cream, bacon & slivered almonds
    - Asparagus with butter & lemon juice
    - Galric mushrooms with parsley
    - Courgette/ zuchinni rosti
    - Grilled Aubergine/ Eggplant
    - Turnip chips/fries
    - Turnip dauphinoise
    - Cauliflower rice
    - Mashed Cauliflower
    - Cauliflower cheese
    - Creamed Spinach gratin
    - Crispy 'breaded' french beans (Rolled in egg white, dipped in parmesan and oven baked).
    - French beans in sage butter
    - Ratatouille