Well Fed cookbook

Options
denise33027
denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
I just ordered the Paleo cookbook Well Fed. Mainly because of the premise of doing all the prep of your veggie and protein on the week end and having it ready. Anyone else have this book? How do you like it?

Replies

• Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have it and it's okay okay IMO.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook of all time. Seriously. LOVE LOVE LOVE her weekend cookups; when I do that it makes my weekday dinners go so much more smoothly. And the recipes are amazing. I make the mayo weekly and the Bora Bora Fireballs a couple times a month. I'm not sure how I did without The Best Stirfry Sauce Ever, and her spice blends are awesome. My super-picky daughter LOVES the Cumin Roasted Carrots. There's a lot I haven't tried yet, and a couple of things that my family didn't love (they thought the chocolate chili was just weird), but far more things that we do love and use all the time.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Best thing ever... the only cookbook (and I have many) that I am ACTUALLY USING ALL THE TIME! It looks a bit worn down already because of that and I think it's the best sign! Great recipes, but also a good plan how to cook quick and easy meals that you can have when there's not so much cooking time. You'll love it!
  • nmg8
    nmg8 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's a fantastic book!! I am on day 15 of my Whole 30 and it has been a life-saver!!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all of the above. You'll love it. I've actually bought it twice... once as an eBook that never loaded, and then again in hard copy when I met Mel at the Paleo Conference here in Colorado.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yep, one of the better paleo recipe resources out there.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So far everything I have made from that cookbook has been yummy! It is also one of the cookbooks I use regularly.
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love it as well! My book is so worn and used looking.

There were a couple of recipes that didn't go over well with the family, but not so bad they didn't eat it. Was one of those "we'll eat it this time but no need to make it again" recipes. That was the chocolate chili and the butternut squash one. The butternut one had good flavor but was too spicy for my kids.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That was the chocolate chili and the butternut squash one. The butternut one had good flavor but was too spicy for my kids.

What wasn't good about the chocolate chili?

I don't have the book, but I downloaded the free excerpts from the web site and it had a couple recipes. One was the the chili and it's supposed to be on my menu for next week. Is it worth making?

I tried the Coconut Chips and was not impressed, waaayyyy too salty. I think next time I'll cut back on the salt, add more cinnamon and a touch of stevia. Wish my library carried this book so I can try more recipes out to see if I like it.

edit: for my poor grammer, lol.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I tried the Coconut Chips and was not impressed, waaayyyy too salty. I think next time I'll cut back on the salt, add more cinnamon and a touch of stevia. Wish my library carried this book so I can try more recipes out to see if I like it.

I LOVE the Carmelized Coconut Chips. My family couldn't get past something coconutty not being sweet, so more for me! Very addicting, tastes like buttered toast.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been devouring her blog the past couple days and that one's next on my list to get!
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What wasn't good about the chocolate chili?

I don't have the book, but I downloaded the free excerpts from the web site and it had a couple recipes. One was the the chili and it's supposed to be on my menu for next week. Is it worth making?

edit: for my poor grammer, lol.

My family expected my reg old chili. The taste was just different. Not bad, I mean, they ate it. They just didn't want seconds. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

The coconut chips were too salty for us too, but well worth making again. Just less salt next time.

I think the cookbook was well worth the money spent on it. I've cooked more from that cookbook (and my family has liked all but 2 things) than I have any other cookbook. Her mayo and the dressings alone are worth the money paid! I also like how she teaches you to do a cookup for the week. I've learned so much about spices since getting her book.

I'd love another paleo cookbook that uses spices a lot. Anybody have any recommendations?
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I like this cookbook, but like Practical Paleo even more. Especially for newbies, it has various meal plans and recipes, depending on your objectives.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've only had my Well Fed cookbook for a short time but so far I love it. Since I'm such a cheese fanatic, it is hard to find appetizing non-dairy recipes (I allow some dairy but I want to reduce it).

With great reservations, I tried the Chocolate Chili first. OMG. It is UNBELIEVABLY good. Really, it's incredible. There are a few recipes that I can't try due to not having access to ingredients, but I will be trying all the others. Some of them have a lot of prep time so I will save them for weekends.

One thing that I really love about the book is how she provides alternatives to the recipes; for instance different meats, vegetable and spice combinations. So one recipe may actually be turned into many recipes.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have this cookbook and I have marked many recipes that I want to try. I made the chocolate chili and we all loved it. I also made the shepherd's pie(Italian version) and it was so awesome. I also made a stir fry and used her stir fry sauce(minus the red pepper flakes) and it was delisious. I really want to try the cinnamon beef stew soon. I put together her ras el hanout spice mix and have used it on several of my own creations. Really, there are very few cookbooks that I own that I get as much use out of as this one.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have never had a bad recipe from the Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook, or from the Primal Cookbook. Borth are great for beginners and I like the color photographs!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really thought I would love Well Fed based on everyone else's recommendations, but honestly I haven't thought the recipes I made tasted very good. I have preferred the recipes from Practical Paleo.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Edit: I was about to rave all over about this cookbook AGAIN. I'll spare you all; THIS time. LOL
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My family expected my reg old chili. The taste was just different. Not bad, I mean, they ate it. They just didn't want seconds. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Tracy,
    I finally made the chocolate chili and I thought it was really good. Even better the next day.
    I thought if your family didn't want seconds of this, your reg old chili must be killer!! :happy:
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan. I much prefer the recipes from Everday Paleo or paleomg.com. There is only one or two recipes in well fed that I actually use.