Winterman Run!

Options
prettypooks
prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
The Winterman Run is on February 19th. I'm doing the 5K distance. I was wondering if anyone else was planning on running, and if anyone would be interested in meeting up that morning! It would be great to meet some of you guys in person. :)

Replies

• toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Meeting you would be a treat; I just don't think I'm ready to run, and especially not in Winter (I'll get bronchitis instantly). Plus, I'm not so sure about the value of running in the shape I'm in (I'll post separately on this issue, so as not to hijack your thread ^_^ ).
  • prettypooks
    prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hijack away! We're the only two people talking now anyway... lol

That being said, I commented on your separate post. :)
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I did the Winterman 5k last year and that was enough for me! I'm thinking of going down and taking photos though/cheering people on.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Anybody else do this race before?
    Doing the same 5k loop for a half marathon sounds kinda boring. Thoughts? Race experiences?
  • danger_kitteh
    Options
    My experience 2 years ago with Winterman 5k. It was stupid cold. I think it was almost -20 with the windchill. The race has hills in both directions along the parkway (OMG UPHILL BOTH WAYS, IN THE SNOW.. just gotta get you to go barefoot!) and for the most part it's ok closer to the War Museum and around the turn around but when you're up on the top of the hill and it's open/no trees to the river - any and all wind blowing that day will make you want to die. You feel just 100% punched in places you'd rather not be punched, it's hard to breath it so cold coming in off the water.

I think probably the only merit of doing the half for winterman is sticking it out through the boredom and elements. it SUCKS having to do 4 loops and it sucks even more when the weather is cold/wet/snowy/freezing/killmenow.

Total badass points for you to do it!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I did the winterman half in 2011, it was good, though cold. Having to do the same 2.5 out and back a number of times gets a bit repetitive, but it's appreciated when you at least have clean roads to run on! Since the 5k, 10k, half and full runners are all out at the same time it feels like a great crowd even though it's smaller, and you get to pass the cheering section 5 times which is kind of uplifting!

I just ran the hypothermic half last weekend, same concept but since it's run on a golf course it was icier than the winterman which is run on the parkway.
  • moonrevenge
    moonrevenge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "OMG UPHILL BOTH WAYS, IN THE SNOW.. just gotta get you to go barefoot!"

Haha! I was just thinking this! You might want to throw in "and I didn't have anything to eat that morning," just for good measure.

Good luck to those of you who are running, by the way. It sounds fun, but I'm horribly clumsy when it comes to running in cold conditions.
  • danger_kitteh
    Options
    Did the 3k today with my 6 year old. Every step reminded me of why I hate winter. BUT - my son got his "snowflake" medal which makes it all worth it.