Winter Motivation

Options
It's getting to be that time of year. I live in Canada so motivation to do exercise is particularly hard to come by during the winter months, and I'm sure many of you others experience that too.

So my question is, between all the sore throats, runny noses, dark afternoons, holiday treats and just overall cold temperatures, what do you plan on doing to keep yourself motivated during the winter?

I think part of it for me will have to do with being prepared, and therefore having no excuses. I've recently started running outside, but the cold temperatures would be a good excuse for me not to do so. For that reason, I've bought some good, warm running clothes, and I'm considering buying the snow-spikes that attach to your running shoes for when it snows. That way I'll have no reason to convince myself otherwise! (Except for on those -30º C days... I think that'll be when I head into the gym. ;-) )

Replies

• Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i plan to just stay inside. its not supposed to be cold in Texas!!! lol jk. i bundle up by putting on a sweater and a jacket and work out indoors...if i do go outdoors..only during the day when the sun is shining.
  • lisadekk
    lisadekk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me, I can't stay motivated doing something at home on my own andI don't exercise outside during the winter. I go to fitness classes at the Y, various ones to fight off boredom, as well as treadmills and ellipticals and weight training. I love water aerobics but I haven't been attending because the time is too late for me.
    I do the best I can to stay exercising during the winter when I am less active - some weeks/months that is difficult because Jan-mid April is crazy busy for me at work.
    Do you have a true exercise buddy that would help motivate and keep you accountable?
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'll just have to make myself do it. Extra effort will be made. I'm in SC. So in winter, once the temp gets below 40 all I want to do is hibernate. My biggest challenge with myself right now is trying to get my exercise in each morning before work. It's really hard t his time of year to get home after dark and then workout.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I joined Pinterest and made a couple of boards with figures I would like to acheive, sayings, found a couple of people to follow. When I start to get unmotivated I am going to keep trying that sight. It helped a lot this weekend (along with support from this group).
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My motivation right now is something material. Each week, if I've lost more than one pound on Monday when I weigh in, I get a little bottle of nailpolish from a nailpolish sampler that I bought. Each bottle color is a surprise until I actually open the package. Then, if I do make it, I take the time to do my nails with my new polish. It's not a big reward and not expensive, but I'm absolutely obsessed with getting that new bottle of polish every week. Tonight it kept me from indulging in election night excess (I had a Lean Cuisine and kept under my max calories) and tomorrow it will get me to the gym despite the nasty weather. Must get new polish!!!
  • nestlingmagnet
    nestlingmagnet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @sed1217 Haha, that is a great idea! I wonder what I could reward myself with each week (that isn't chocolate, haha).
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My motivation right now is something material. Each week, if I've lost more than one pound on Monday when I weigh in, I get a little bottle of nailpolish from a nailpolish sampler that I bought. Each bottle color is a surprise until I actually open the package. Then, if I do make it, I take the time to do my nails with my new polish. It's not a big reward and not expensive, but I'm absolutely obsessed with getting that new bottle of polish every week. Tonight it kept me from indulging in election night excess (I had a Lean Cuisine and kept under my max calories) and tomorrow it will get me to the gym despite the nasty weather. Must get new polish!!!

This is super cute, and I love that your reward for yourself is non food-related!! Inspiring... I wonder what I could reward myself with? :)