Abs routines

Options
Hi,
it would be great if we can post 1 routine a day for abs work, and right way to do it, etc. This will help all get new ideas and learn from each other.

Replies

• wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    My Ab Workout is this....

Decline Crunch - 3 x 20 w/ 18 lb medicine ball
    Lower AB Crunch - 3 x 10 (this is also known as a "rocky" google it and you'll see how it's done properly)
    Captains Chair knee raises to chest - I shoot for 3 x 10 but rarely make it thru all of them... muscles fail long before I can finish!

The next 3 are done as a superset.....
    1 - Oblique Twist - 3 x 20 w/ 10lb plate
    2 - Plank - 3 x 30 sec
    3 - Leg Raise - 3 x 30 sec holding

If your Abs are not on fire by the end of this workout you should check for a pulse!! LOL
    It is fantastic and it works! But.... as with any routine... just going thru the motions for the sake of saying you did it will not get you results........ WORK IT......CRUNCH HARD........DO IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!! :) Good luck Hope you enjoy it.
  • kumarprabhat
    Options
    Thanx. Going to look them up today and make them part of my work-out from tomorrow.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Isolated ab workouts are NOT the key to a 6-pack. The key is lowering body fat percentage. Abs will generally begin to show at approx 12% body fat. That is done through proper calorie counting and FULL-BODY WORKOUTS targeting major muscle groups. Isolation excerises should be the LAST step in developing any body part. If ab muscles are not developed once body fat is low, THEN isolation exercises will come in handy. Here is my weekly routine which has not changed drastically in years:

Sunday - Nothing

Monday - 1.5 mi run < 13 minutes. 3 sets of 20 push ups (or 60 total at a vigorous pace under 1 minute). 3 sets of 20 sit ups (or 60 total at a vigorous pace under 1 minute).

Tuesday - Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or basketball (one only, never all three)

Wednesday - (continous back -to-back, no rest period) 3 sets of 11 palm facing away wide grip pull ups, to hanging leg lifts, to push ups. 3 sets of 11 palm facing each other regular grip pull ups, to hanging leg lifts, to push ups. 3 sets of 11 palm facing in close grip pull ups, to hanging leg lifts, to push ups. (Equates to nearly 100 pull ups, 100 leg lifts, 100 push ups)

Thursday - Nothing (if i have time... Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or basketball ...one only, never all three)

Friday - 5k jog (not run). Vigorous calisthenics, to include Burpees/M100s or plyometrics and similar no-equipment exercises. OR 3 sets of 20 push ups (or 60 total at a vigorous pace under 1 minute) and 3 sets of 20 sit ups (or 60 total at a vigorous pace under 1 minute) finishing with light calisthenics, to include skipping rope, jumping jacks, and similiar light cardio activites.

Saturday - Nothing (teaching Judo/Jujitsu, but nothing strenuous usually)

As you will notice, I do not require a gym, weights, or complicated machinery. The only thing I needed to purchase was a watch and three-position pull up bar, but a regular straight pull up bar will be sufficient.
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    Poster requested variety of ideas on Ab Routines...... It wasn't a direct "6 pack" Q from my understanding ???

Anyway... if you look at my profile, I don't have much of an issue with excess percentage of body fat. Also, If you look at my blog, you can view my entire weekly routine for full body workouts, as well as my Abs stuff.
    I completely agree that the only way to really show off your Abs is to "shred" hardcore! But, isolation exercises do assist to build the 'pack' ......... and IMO if you aren't doing any harm, then go for it a couple times a week!

(y) :D
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my apologies for being long-winded, i just figured in the Six Pack Support Group i should make a point to help beginner's understand the body fat "hurdle" is the highest... and then ab routines are next. To consolidate my post regarding just abs:
    -9 sets of 11 hanging left lifts (during my various calisthenics), once a week
    -3 sets of 20 sit ups or 60 at a vigorous pace under 1 minute, twice a week
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am more of a cardio guy (I runned my first marathon distance on July and now can swim 4km in a swimming pool without break, next summer I will practice riding a bike for 180km) and had no clue on abs workout. I found those that I like because the exercises are new to me, so get me off my comfort zone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKCVCZe474&amp;feature=g-hist.
    It certainly helped me to improve my power in my cardio trainings. So I post it if it can help someone else...do not hesitate to criticize if they are not good
  • triplezoo
    Options
    Here is one of my newest ab & core workout routine.

It's called "Research backed Ab Workout" .... and IT'S TOUGH!

It consists of research backed Top 3 the most effective ab exercises with a swiss ball. These exercises activate the whole body from head to toes.

Benefits of this ab routine when compared to regular ab exercises is that it helps:

1. BURN more calories,
    2. strengthen your core and improve stability,
    3. develope visible abs faster.

Watch the video here: http://absexperiment.com/most-effective-ab-exercises-with-swiss-ball/

Try it out and let me know what you think!

For more ab routines join Abs Experiment community. Btw, guys I am launching Email training course - How to get abs easily regardless your genetics - next month! It's FREE! :noway:

I would be happy to see you there!