Data Overload - Opinons Please

Options
carriea67
carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
Hi All -

I think I may have overloaded myself with data and numbers. So I bought a fit-bit zip and have been wearing it 24/7 for 3 weeks now.

I have reduced my calories to about a 15% cut from the fitbit TDEE and will follow that for the next 7 weeks and then go back to eating at TDEE for a week and then lather, rinse, repeat.

Here are my numbers:
Avg Daily Burn - 1671
Cut (15%) - 1421

So here is where the confusion comes in - I calculated my numbers on Scooby and came up with the following:
BMR - 1348
TDEE (Lightly active) - 1853
Cut (15%) - 1575

Here are some other pieces of data - I am 5'1" and current weight is 129. I gained about 5 pounds during a reset and have only lost one as I am trying to dial in my cut level. Measurements are up and down and a majority of my clothes still fit. And I have taken some pictures (although not in a few months) and can't see any differences.

I work out 3-5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour and at this point doing a mix of cardio (HIIT) and crossfit-esque workouts - so some weight training but nothing huge. This is a shift for me as I used to follow a 2 day cardio; 3 day olympic style lifting schedule but I was looking to shake things up. I like the cross-fit esque workouts but since I work out solo - I don't think I push myself hard enough.

Eating - I need to be cleaner and the protein macro is something I am working on.

So here is where I am confused:

1. Fitbit vs Scooby - Before I bought my zip I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day and my weight was flucatating at the same 2-3 pounds. Which one do I follow? I like to eat more :smile: . Right now I have been eating at 1500 for about a month now. And I have been AWFUL at tracking but am climbing back on that bandwagon.

2. Do I have my activity level correct?

3. I am just plain awful at taking measurements - does anyone have a "secret" for that? I am about to mark my body parts with a Sharpie :tongue: .

4. Do I need to add more strength training? I have the NROWL-W and have considered starting that. I started this new schedule of focusing more on cardio about a month ago.

5. Do I just need to chill and give it more time? This is a perfectly acceptable answer.....:bigsmile:

Thanks!

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've heard of several people not being able to use the fitbit to track their workouts because it underestimates calories burned. They switch to a HRM for an accurate burn on exercise.

It looks like your goals aren't weight related, so I recommend focusing on getting enough protein and weight training to help drop body fat. This will help you gain strength and get smaller (i.e. fit into skinny clothes). I would worry less about eating on a defecit, especially since your weight is in a healthy BMI range.
  • carriea67
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't heard that about the fitbit but it is good to know. When I say my numbers - I was shocked that my TDEE was so low with the fit-bit.

Yes, I would like to lose BodyFat & fit into the rest of my smaller clothes....oh and have great looking legs :laugh: . So less about the number and way more about gaining strength and getting smaller.

Maybe a return to KISS - and concentrate on the protein and strength and just give it time. Patience isn't necessarily a virture of mine.

BTW - Wow your shoulders & back are amazing!!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I hadn't heard that about the fitbit but it is good to know. When I say my numbers - I was shocked that my TDEE was so low with the fit-bit.

Yes, I would like to lose BodyFat & fit into the rest of my smaller clothes....oh and have great looking legs :laugh: . So less about the number and way more about gaining strength and getting smaller.

Maybe a return to KISS - and concentrate on the protein and strength and just give it time. Patience isn't necessarily a virture of mine.

FitBit uses your Harris BMR estimate for filling in all non-moving activity that it senses.

How does the Harris BMR compare to the Katch BMR if that was used on Scooby and the TDEE estimate?

FitBit uses standard calorie calc's for walking type movements, including stairs, which are actually very accurate if pace is decently figured out.

But it won't have any idea on lifting calorie burn, nor intense stuff like HIIT.

MFP estimate on lifting is actually pretty good. HIIT is going to be difficult since it's like lifting, I'd count the time there since it's huge anaerobic effort followed by recovery. Any walking warmup/cooldown can be counted separately.

I'd pick out some rest days in that last 3 weeks and see what those daily TDEE values were.

Now see what MFP says for the light strength training for one, heavy for HIIT, then the walking values normally used.
    Now add those to the non-exercise TDEE and see where you may be.
  • carriea67
    Options

FitBit uses your Harris BMR estimate for filling in all non-moving activity that it senses.

How does the Harris BMR compare to the Katch BMR if that was used on Scooby and the TDEE estimate?

FitBit uses standard calorie calc's for walking type movements, including stairs, which are actually very accurate if pace is decently figured out.

But it won't have any idea on lifting calorie burn, nor intense stuff like HIIT.

MFP estimate on lifting is actually pretty good. HIIT is going to be difficult since it's like lifting, I'd count the time there since it's huge anaerobic effort followed by recovery. Any walking warmup/cooldown can be counted separately.

I'd pick out some rest days in that last 3 weeks and see what those daily TDEE values were.

Now see what MFP says for the light strength training for one, heavy for HIIT, then the walking values normally used.
    Now add those to the non-exercise TDEE and see where you may be.

Thanks for the reply....

So here is my BMR:
    Harris - 1351
    Katch - 1273

And my average rest day TDEE (for the past 6 rest days) is 1695. So to clarify your suggestion - I should add 132 calories (MFP strength for 45 min) to 1695 = 1827.

And if I wanted to eat the same number of calories daily then shoot for 1700ish and increase from there?
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I work out 3-5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour and at this point doing a mix of cardio (HIIT) and crossfit-esque workouts - so some weight training but nothing huge. This is a shift for me as I used to follow a 2 day cardio; 3 day olympic style lifting schedule but I was looking to shake things up. I like the cross-fit esque workouts but since I work out solo - I don't think I push myself hard enough.

Eating - I need to be cleaner and the protein macro is something I am working on.

So here is where I am confused:

1. Fitbit vs Scooby - Before I bought my zip I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day and my weight was flucatating at the same 2-3 pounds. Which one do I follow? I like to eat more :smile: . Right now I have been eating at 1500 for about a month now. And I have been AWFUL at tracking but am climbing back on that bandwagon.

2. Do I have my activity level correct?

3. I am just plain awful at taking measurements - does anyone have a "secret" for that? I am about to mark my body parts with a Sharpie :tongue: .

4. Do I need to add more strength training? I have the NROWL-W and have considered starting that. I started this new schedule of focusing more on cardio about a month ago.

5. Do I just need to chill and give it more time? This is a perfectly acceptable answer.....:bigsmile:

Thanks!

Carrie - given you work out for an hour at least 3 days a week, your activity level on Scooby should be moderate. I've taken measurement for years, and just try to get in the same places. They should be a guide as well. If you can get a pair of calipers, this will be a better meaurement. I've been won over with weight training. I did cross fit & cardio for years with results of a smaller me. Now I'm concentrating more on weights, and starting to see shape in places I haven't in years. I think pictures tell a better story than getting overwhelmed by numbers. Do remember that your scale weight is going to vary a lot, depending on TOM, water retention, even what you have eaten. The greatest thing you can do is get in tune with your body.

KISS is always the best method! And be honest with yourself. Use the numbers as a guide, and adjust according to your body's reaction.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @ladyace - wow, great back and excellent suggestions
    @carrie - just some comments about adding back the weight lifting. I've only been lifting as heavy as possible for 2-3 days a week, 30 mins max for only a month and in that short time I have noticed a big change in the way I feel in my body as well as how it looks. I hate measuring and taking pictures so I don't have any "stats" but I KNOW this is working and I'm eating at reset levels (2,000 a day!). I'm 5'3" and 118 right now, working on getting to my favorite happy weight of 111 and there's no way I'm going to get the body I want by cutting calories, except MAYBE going for 10% after my 8 week reset is over. It's all about the heavy lifting and a couple of walks and spin classes thrown in there for fun.

@2abnorth - we cross-posted but SEE! Weights are IT.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Thanks! I highly recommend just keep monitoring protein intake and stick with strength training. I switch up my routine to a new program every 6-12 weeks so that I can manage my patience.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply....

So here is my BMR:
    Harris - 1351
    Katch - 1273

And my average rest day TDEE (for the past 6 rest days) is 1695. So to clarify your suggestion - I should add 132 calories (MFP strength for 45 min) to 1695 = 1827.

And if I wanted to eat the same number of calories daily then shoot for 1700ish and increase from there?

So 75 calories inflated is not much to worry about. I've seen many examples of 300-400 inflated.
    And when you consider 16 hrs of the day is basically non-moving, so the BMR is applied, that's a bad inflation over a better BMR estimate.
    But you don't have to worry about it.

So non-exercise TDEE is 1695. (notice that is multiplier of 1.33, almost MFP's definition of Lightly Active at 1.35, most find that applies).
    Lifting day TDEE is 1827.

You can do the same thing with the HIIT as heavy strength training. If you walk as warmup and cooldown to do that, that's in the exercise list too.
    So now you can find out what those days have as their TDEE.

Now add a typical week together of those various days, and divide by 7 - there's your avg TDEE based on weekly activity.

You might divide that avg TDEE by your Katch BMR too - now you have your personal multiplier for that level of activity. I'll be curious what it is. Now as weight drops and you have new BMR, just multiply if your routine is the same.
    Bam - new TDEE for new weight.

Now take your cut.
  • carriea67
    Options
    Hi Everyone -

Thanks for all the replies....

@2abnorth - I have lifted weights for the past year and gained definition and strength. But then I was looking for something new and the trainer at the gym suggested some Cross Fit type workouts for something different. But if I am honest with myself I don't love them and I don't push myself hard - I guess I need someone pushing me thru. Maybe a return to my old schedule of lifting 3x a week and cardio 2x a week will push me through my workout slump.

@amanda_gent - yeah another shorty like me! And I am glad that it is working for you....I am currently in a size 6-8 and would like to get to a size 4-6 - at whatever weight that is.

@heybales - Wow - thanks for such an in-depth analysis - you must love data! And to figure out my personal "numbers" - I should track my exercise either with my HRM over the next 7 days to get my daily average TDEE. Then take 10%-15% cut and voila - that number is the number of calories I should eat. And that's a great idea to find out my individual multiplier and use it moving forward.

Wow - I need to use this site more often....I have read so much but hardly ever ask questions.

I think a return to KISS & strength training is the way for me. I recently bought calipers so will take measurements & pics this weekend and just start the climb again. Oh and more protein :)!