How are my fellow new non-smokers doing?

Options

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you! Please keep up with your non-smoking. I've been smoke free for 12 years and 1 month. This is from a a former 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoker. First thing I'd do in the morning, and last thing I'd do at night. On a Saturday morning I could go through 1/2 pack with a few good cups of coffee and reading a magazine or two. Likewise I could go through 2 packs while out on Saturday night with friends. You can do it too. Pick your date, and NEVER pick up and light that cigarette again!

Congrats on your long term commitment!

Today is day 93 cigarette free. I have been pretty sick for the last week and am still not 100% yet. Yesterday, even though I felt under the weather still with lingering congestion, I had a monster cig craving out of nowhere. It passed after a couple of minutes like it always does but DAMN! Where the hell did that come from???

Lesson learned, no matter how far along I think I am, watch out for those random sneak attack cravings!
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until I can say that I'm 12 years quit. That's amazing!
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    2 days and 16 hours smoke-free for me and im at the I WANT ONE SO DAMN BAD stage :/ not going to give in but would love more support, much harder than i thought itd be honestly.

i had smoked for 13 years and im over it!! im only 25 yet i started at 12 (gross i know) so many reasons to quit and NO reason to keep doing it.
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    2 days and 16 hours smoke-free for me and im at the I WANT ONE SO DAMN BAD stage :/ not going to give in but would love more support, much harder than i thought itd be honestly.

i had smoked for 13 years and im over it!! im only 25 yet i started at 12 (gross i know) so many reasons to quit and NO reason to keep doing it.

It really get's easier. I'm not yet three weeks as a non-smoker, yet the improvement is incredible. It' just this initial abrupt hill you have to cross over, but once you get to the top, it's generally only downhill from there. And the more you give in, the more you fall back down to the bottom, only to have to look up and try at the hill again. I know that probably sounds cliche or cheesy, but that's truly how I see it.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    today in 3 weeks I will be off the cigs a whole year. I don't regret I did it, I am happy about it and gained- not weight but life expectancy and fun and health and money :-)
    But I still have the odd craving every now and then . In the beginning I was shocked. I thought it would go. Today I think: yeah, after so many years of smoking this like nico-devil still tries to get me. NO NO NO, I won't have the one puff, never again. But I have to be alert for the rest of my life. I will always be an ex-smoker, not a non-smoker. But that's ok, if you can accept that.
    Well done on your quit, that's an amazing success :-)
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I admire everyone here. I was smoke-free for almost 2 months and I have caved. So disappointed with myself.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Please feel free to add me as a friend, I need as many as I can get to help keep me motivated.

Thanks.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    tomorrow will be ONE MONTH smoke free for me :) i havent caved and im stronger than ever (husband and i quit together) for me personally ......... 29 days 21 hours 44 minutes, 390 smokes avoided, $125 saved
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    No cigs since 1/26/2012! Only briefly think of them when I'm stressed.
  • doubleh64
    doubleh64 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Giving this quitting thing another shot after landing myself in the ER yesterday with uncontrolled rising blood pressure. Changes NEED to be made and getting rid of the death sticks is one of them. Feel free to add me if you too are just starting out on your quitting journey (or even if you have been quit for awhile). Really concerned about weight gain as I have not made great strides in that department so far and really don't want to put more on but I guess I will just have to buckle down and try harder. Wishing you all happiness and much success on your journeys. :)
  • Hfox3953
    Hfox3953 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am currently on day 11. I had quit for about 32 days, and then fell off the wagon. I definitely still need continued support. Congrats to everyone!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Just back from a lovely dinner at my favourite Indian restaurant. We were there to celebrate my 1st anniversary.
    Today I'm off ONE YEAR!!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Your Quit Date is:Wednesday, November 09, 2011 at 7:00:00 AM
    Time Smoke-Free:366 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 27 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked:7323

Lifetime Saved:1 month, 25 days, 22 hours
    Money Saved:€3,330.60
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    It's taking everything I got not to smoke today...Not sure what's going on but having a real hard time.

Time Smoke-Free: 159 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 27 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 4792

Lifetime Saved: 1 month, 6 days, 14 hours

Money Saved: $1,176.00
  • melsinct
    Options
    It's taking everything I got not to smoke today...Not sure what's going on but having a real hard time.

Time Smoke-Free: 159 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 27 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 4792
    Lifetime Saved: 1 month, 6 days, 14 hours
    Money Saved: $1,176.00

It's funny you say that...I felt the same way on Saturday! Maybe it was the couple glasses of wine I had the amplified the crave but I felt the wanting of a cig all day, on and off.

135 days without smoking
    1,354 cigs not smoked
    $609.30 saved
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    65 days!!! yeah me!!!
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    New to the site/group

I quit smoking 15 weeks ago, pretty much gained an additional pound every week. Now it's time to quit the patches & stop the replacements. I started the diet a week ago, lost 9lbs so far and feel pretty good.

I'll NEVER go back to smoking, I can't find a single reason that my brain accepts as an excuse any longer :)

It won't make me feel better & if my craving tries to tell me otherwise..I know it it's only a brief pleasure with prolonged consequences (the hack, cough, snoring from being stuffy, lack of energy, yellow teeth, ect ect ect..)

Gotta love the extra money as well :)
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    100 days today!!!!!!!
    Whee Hoo!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    100 days today!!!!!!!
    Whee Hoo!!!

That's awesome! A mere 19 days here.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I can' t believe it will be a year on Jan 26,2013 since my last smoke! Congrats to all of you who are trying.I will never start again because I will die if I do and I am not ready to go yet!
  • bochmo
    Options
    I year, 7 months, 15 days Since my last cigarette. Saved $3543.54 so far and stopped taking years off my life! Cravings are gone now.
  • melsinct
    Options
    Cravings are gone now.

First of all, congrats on your success. Secondly, I am happy to hear the cravings went away. I quit 6 months ago and still get cravings maybe twice a week. They pass quickly but I get them nonetheless. I was wondering if this was just something I'd deal with forever or if they would go away for good. You've given me hope!