Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to low carb

My husband was told he should try South Beach because of some of his health issues so I told him I would do it with him. I did miserably this week on phase 1. I only made it 3 days before we had a cheat day. I have decided I'm starting with phase 2. I don't have a lot of cravings but I was having a really hard time being that restricted. I have about 38 pounds to lose. I really need to find things we can all eat for dinners and breakfasts (that are not just eggs). Looking forward to the support of the group and learing a new way of life.

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Google low carb recipes. I have learned to make low carb broccoli cheese soup and homemade Alfredo sauce. Healthy Life wheat bread has 5 carbs per slice and I will eat one slice a day. Cheesecake is my weakness and I have learned to make a low carb one!!:love:
    There are lots of things I miss but I have found so many low carb versions of some of my favorite things that I am happily ST king to my diet! Down 61 pounds since February!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    I just started back last Tuesday on induction phase 1. Go to the Atkins.com web site and you can fine loads of recipes. Good luck to you! Low carb is the only way that my body thinks it can loose. I have border line thyroid problems. Hope this works well for you. I weigh in Tuesday am. We'll see if it has helped. I wish you the best! Friend me if you'd like.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    I highly recommend the Dana Carpender cookbooks, easy and loads of variations.

Mark's Daily Apple has lots of Paleo info/recipes.

There are lots of low carb bake mixes, muffins, pancakes and even cereal.

If you're not sick of eggs yet, bake some egg & bacon cups :)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Once you get to Phase 2, it is SO much easier. I really just do a lot of substituting whole grain for the white carbs. Sorry Phase 1 was soa hard for you. I hope you find somehting that is a good fit for you. If you are interested, I would be happy to type out a few recipes I have made and my family enjoys. Just let me know!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    genaw.com is a great website for recipies too!
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 99 Member
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I'm more excited today about it. I spent some time online and found some good recipes. I'm making a broccoli soup tonight and tomorrow is beef chili. I bought a lot of things to help keep me interested and motivated. I'm going to try to make a breakfast casserole with turkey sausage, spinach, cheese, and eggs. I will be much better prepared this week.
  • phyllisann26
    phyllisann26 Posts: 118 Member
    genaw.com has fantastic recipes! Try the spinach lasagna! I make it with ground turkey.
  • I second the Dana Carpenter books. Also Kalyn's Kitchen is specific to south beach and you can get recipes for specific phases.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

George Stella is another good resource for tasty low-carb recipes. At one time many of his recipes were on the food network website, but I know you can google him and get some, and his website has some In one of his cookbooks, he has a banana nut muffin made with almond flour that is really good.

http://www.stellastyle.com/