What's the Plan?

Options
Joanitude
Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
I saw Savage post this in another thread today
My only hard and fast rule is "NO RULES." No diet books, point systems, food restriction, calorie-counting, workout plans, etc. I just eat and exercise intuitively (allowing myself PLENTY of space for grace along the way), and with practice and positive thinking I am currently winning the battle over my compulsive binge-eating.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's game plan looks like.

My plan has slightly more rules than Savage :
1) log *every* bite - no exceptions
2) Daily calories = under goal minimum 6 of 7 days
3) Weekly calories = under goal (*always*)

I know that this way is the long way - but I'm OK with that. This allows me to change my habits slowly over time and replace less healthy choices with better ones. If you want to see my diary, just ask - I don't mind sharing. :) I keep my diary closed because there are some people around here (not this group, but MFP in general) that are self-appointed food police. Thanks, but no thanks. I get it - I eat 'crap' - I know I eat it, and yet it falls nicely into my rules above. If you feel compelled to enlighten or educate me, please see my avatar.

I use Fitbit to log both activity and sleep. I also have a wireless scale. I weigh daily but count it only once a week. I weigh daily to see if there are any patterns. So far I have noticed that my weight can fluctuate as much as 6 pounds in a day. ...I'm curious to see if I can find the pattern and from that the reasons. Also, by being really aware of the daily fluctuations means I am not as upset by the official weigh-in. I know it will go up & down....but eventually it ends up being down.

So what's your plan?

Replies

• SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I know that this way is the long way - but I'm OK with that. This allows me to change my habits slowly over time and replace less healthy choices with better ones.

I love this attitude! Best wishes in your weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My Lifechange is this 6 days a week 1 day is free or open to interpretation.
    60-100g protein/day
    under 100g carbs/day
    1000 calories /day
    3 meals 2 snacks (i tend towards one snack)
    log everything
    count everything
    move every day
    I try and watch my sodium also
    I am also trying not to drink before during or after meals for 30 minutes

This is roughly how u have to live for life after a gastric surgery once back on solid food- I ended up in a surgeons office and started the process then in my research I learned all the above and thought to myself I can make this life change without the surgery- got it approved by my pcp and now I live this way for now. I canceled the surgery process. Way in the future my calorie count will increase but that will be in maintaining phase. Also after a gastric surgery you can never have a carbonated drink again- I couldn't live like that I could go on and on but I'll hush.
    RaNae
    Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    That after surgery plan is interesting! Who knew? you are totally right, why go through the surgery to force that plan when you can do it anyway?

I am more in line with Pitixtxita......I keep under calories daily. I move daily. I need to be REALLY more attentive to logging every single bite, I have been lax on that.

I am trying to eat more healthy---but it is baby steps for me. I cut down on carbs, I am trying to cut out the junk.

My next step will be to get in more fruits and veggies, maybe replacing my beloved pretzels, or cheese and crackers snacks with a fruit or veggie. (WHY CAN'T THEY TASTE BETTER???) :wink:

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Joanitude
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea - skipping the whole surgery part :wink:

I'm curious - why the separation of drinking and meals?
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Only 2 "rules" ...
    1: Try to stay under calorie
    2: Exercise often
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options

I'm curious - why the separation of drinking and meals?
     Avoid drinking and eating at the same time. Drink between each meal, not with your meals. Do not drink 30 minutes before or after your meals, and never drink during a meal. Why? Drinking before you eat will fill your sleeve with liquid and you will have no room for the nutritious food you need. Drinking after eating will wash the food out of your sleeve too quickly and you won’t maintain feeling full, and will want to eat again too soon.

This was according to
    NCA Surgical Weight Loss Program
    Revised OCT 2009

I have to tell you this is a hard one to get use to and I don't do it all the time
  • Joanitude
    Options
    Wow RaNae - who knew. Thanks for the info.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am a good carb "clean' eater. That means I stay away from processed foods except for occasional dairy and meats, of course.

1. Watch calories. I don't count carbs because I only eat good carbs - fruits, veggies, etc.

2. Strength train 5 days a week. I alternate upper and lower body with a rest day in between with one full body day.

3. Cardio EVERYDAY no exceptions. I'm asthmatic so I do have to divide my time up somedays but I always get in 30 minutes or more a day. I have a nice ellyptical that I jump on throughout the day (I'm a SAHM).

4. I swear by Betancourt's Ripped Juice. It's great for energy and appetite supresant. There are days I have to remember to eat. I also take their CLA, it is great for folks with hypothyroidism. I did the 8 weeks of Cellucor's Super HD and am now on my 4 weeks wait.

5. Have accountability partners. I share with my mom and sister all the time. My sister struggles too so she knows the down days. My baby brother is a push it hard kind of guy and I know if I complain to him he will give me a swift get off your *kitten* and do it kick...which is what I need. He's a certified sports nutritionist and personal trainer so I go to him with fitness questions too.

That's my plan and it works for me.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit to log both activity and sleep. I also have a wireless scale.

I'm asking Santa for both of those!
    I weigh daily but count it only once a week. I weigh daily to see if there are any patterns. So far I have noticed that my weight can fluctuate as much as 6 pounds in a day. ...I'm curious to see if I can find the pattern and from that the reasons. Also, by being really aware of the daily fluctuations means I am not as upset by the official weigh-in. I know it will go up & down....but eventually it ends up being down.

If I eat pastas, I gain massive amounts of weight overnight too. Then fight to get it off. I weigh daily also and that is how I found that out. That is also why I gave up pasta, rice, etc.
  • Joanitude
    Options
    If I eat pastas, I gain massive amounts of weight overnight too. Then fight to get it off. I weigh daily also and that is how I found that out. That is also why I gave up pasta, rice, etc.
    That is exactly the type of pattern I hope to see doing this. Well, I'm not hoping it's pasta/rice, but some sort of pattern.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey in May 2012, I told myself "No Rules". Give myself the space to go over if/when I need to. Interestingly enough, I don't often need to. Or, now that I'm exercising regularly, to give myself a day off when it's needed.

Working on the mind shift away from the "shoulds" and make the choices I need for myself.

I listen to my body and try to give it what it needs.

Sometimes it needs 12 oz of chicken in one sitting, sometimes it needs a couple tablespoons of fudge frosting.

This is a permanent, long haul change in lifestyle for me, tweaking along the way as needs and situation changes.

it's all good :)
  • whallon
    whallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My "rules" have been
    -to log everything I eat (this is partially to learn about the foods I am eating, and to learn how to make better choices)
    -nothing is off limits - but I really try to stay in my calorie limits so it becomes about choices, do I want to spend over 300 calories on the large coke from McDonald's? (Sometimes I do want to spend my calories on chocolate or a coke, but I have to balance it elsewhere!)
    - try to make my family meals healthier
    - exercise at least 3 times a week and to push myself past the "wanting to quit" points (which usually happen around 7-8 minutes in and 15-16 minutes. )
    - to stay in the mindset of life changes not temporary diet
    - to not "beat myself up" when I don't make the best choices!

)
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    My plan is pretty much eat whatever i want but in portion control size and not every day.

I try to eat about half of my meal, No snacking during the day, Drink lots of water, No soda, and don't eat after 7 pm...
    So far i have had pretty good success!
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    My Lifechange is this 6 days a week 1 day is free or open to interpretation.
    60-100g protein/day
    under 100g carbs/day
    1000 calories /day
    3 meals 2 snacks (i tend towards one snack)
    log everything
    count everything
    move every day
    I try and watch my sodium also
    I am also trying not to drink before during or after meals for 30 minutes

This is roughly how u have to live for life after a gastric surgery once back on solid food- I ended up in a surgeons office and started the process then in my research I learned all the above and thought to myself I can make this life change without the surgery- got it approved by my pcp and now I live this way for now. I canceled the surgery process. Way in the future my calorie count will increase but that will be in maintaining phase. Also after a gastric surgery you can never have a carbonated drink again- I couldn't live like that I could go on and on but I'll hush.
    RaNae
    Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time

**EDIT** I am now using the MFP predetermined calorie set at 1750 not the 1000 calories I set for myself Everything else is the same
  • goldiesgold
    Options
    Keep it simple - have a basic routine ( or try to!)

For me the plan is to organize my meals and eat at regular times . My biggest issue has always been that I don't have a clue what I am going to eat or when I am going to eat, which means I am usually starving and eat whatever is easiest.
    So now I cook extra food and have it in in the fridge, I also make meals that I can freeze and defrost easily as a back up.
    I have taken the time to add meals I cook regularly, to the recipes section in my fitness pal, for easy food logging.
    I try to think about whats for Dinner in the mornings (instead of not worrying about it til 6 pm)
    Eating breakfast between 7-8 am (use to be 7-11 am). When I do this my snacks and lunch are at decent times.
    Stick to or preferably under the suggest calorie intact.
    Log my food everyday and drink more water
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Reading all this has made me realize I don't follow anything... :cry: