W5 is some sort of special kind of hell...

Options
Completed W5D2 today. Wow. All things considered I did pretty good.

ran 8 min
walked 6.5
ran 5.5 min
walked 1 min
ran 2.5min
walked 5min

Wow. I'm not looking forward to friday's first really really long run. How did you psych yourself up for your first 20 minute run???

Replies

• fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just remember how you weren't really tired on the middle walk part and at the back of your mind you knew you could be running the entire time.
  • karlyelindsay
    karlyelindsay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally had to psyche myself out before the run. in the end it did actually seen easier than the intervals, which makes sense since for most people the first mile is the hardest. that and I kept telling myself how hard I've trained and that it was the next step and I hadn't cheated so I shouldbe able to!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It gets better! :) The 20 minute run is a challenge for sure but you will succeed. I am doing week 7 now and each day is 2.5 miles straight and I find it easily doable. In fact I ran 3 miles straight on W7D2 without any problems. As I like to tell people, if I can do it....anybody can. quite literally.
  • martazdz
    martazdz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I finished day two of that week today andfor some reason it felt like the easiest runs of all, not sure how this happened haha. I am getting more excited after every run. Im sure you will get through the 20 min just fine, and there is no harm in taking abit of a walk if u need, it's not a competytion. You know how great its gonna feel when u gonna run that 20 min!!!!!
    Good luck!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation guys!!! I lost my running buddy. My husband has been sick, and now that he's better he has to go into work tomorrow. Sigh. But a loca friend of mine volunteered to come and run with me tomorrow. She's gotten to where a 10k is easy, so I'm really thankful that she's willing to run at my snail's pace. :)

I do know that it is so much easier for me to finish my runs when I have someone to "complain" at. :blushing:

Thanks again!
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I dreaded the first time I had to do the first 20 minute run. I put it off for weeks redoing the previous week. What got me through it was when I finally said to myself, "I will do what I can and if I need to walk some of it, so be it, I at least need to give it a try."

So I just went ahead and gave it a try and before I knew it, the app said I had finished and it was time to cool down. If anything I felt so exhilarated and excited afterwards that I could run for 20 minutes straight that it gave me great motivation to progress further. Then in week 8 when you move up to 25 minutes of running, it didn't seem like a big deal at all, because it was only 5 minutes more than what you had already done!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I dreaded it, but I just tried to go into it as relaxed as possible. I told myself that it didn't matter if I had to repeat the day, if I didn't complete, I was just going to do my best. There were moments during the run where I wavered and wanted to stop, but I just pushed myself on, and before I knew it, it was over. It turned out to be an easier run than some of the earlier days. It seems so daunting, but in the end, it's really not!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I did it!! My friend Melissa came over and ran with me. I'm so thankful because I don't think I would have done it without her. :)

C25K 5.3: Total workout 7min warmup, 20 min run, 22 min cool down. 3.33 miles, 49 min. 4.07 mi/hr, 14.71 min/mile

20 min run portion was about 1.5 miles = 4.54 mi/hr & 13.33 min/mile
    29 min walk portion was about 1.83 miles = 3.78 mi/hr & 15.84 min/mile
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I did it!! My friend Melissa came over and ran with me. I'm so thankful because I don't think I would have done it without her. :)

C25K 5.3: Total workout 7min warmup, 20 min run, 22 min cool down. 3.33 miles, 49 min. 4.07 mi/hr, 14.71 min/mile

20 min run portion was about 1.5 miles = 4.54 mi/hr & 13.33 min/mile
    29 min walk portion was about 1.83 miles = 3.78 mi/hr & 15.84 min/mile

Congratulations! It looks like you not only did it, you over-did it. :smile: Bring on W6!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I finished day two of that week today andfor some reason it felt like the easiest runs of all, not sure how this happened haha. I am getting more excited after every run. Im sure you will get through the 20 min just fine, and there is no harm in taking abit of a walk if u need, it's not a competytion. You know how great its gonna feel when u gonna run that 20 min!!!!!
    Good luck!

This! I did w5d2 yesterday and I felt like the run portions were short! Lol. It felt easier than any of the other runs.