trouble/snack TIMES, how to manage

Options
Hi all. wondering if you could help me trouble shoot. I do quite well overall but always over do snack-time/tea time.

In part my kids come home after school and that is a difficult time, one I have loads of kids and they eat a ton so I do simple things like cookies and crisps. I have 5 boys who are all athletes and go through so much food. Avoiding it is part of the trouble. BUT I do fine at meal times.

Anyone else trouble shoot the mid morning/afternoon times?

I am close to goal (I am 5'7 size 26 jean now but could firm a bit too:) and eat all my calories (Sheepish look here) but woud love to kick off these last 8 to 10 and maintain. This snack time seems to be my achilles heal. Any strategies or you can just tell me I have the self control of a drunken goat at snack time:)

Cheers!

Replies

• brandiseagroves
    brandiseagroves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My issue is late at night. I am a night owl... I will do great all day, then around like 9pm I start craving....somethig.
    Salt...sugar....anything that I know I am not supposed to have.

One thing that I try to do, is not buy things that I like. My son likes poptarts,so I get blueberry...he loves them, I hate them...so no danger of me eating one...lol If i got chocolate fudge...there would be trouble.

We keep a lot of fruit around, that will sometimes help with the sugar beast...not always.

Also, if I know I don't need to eat anything else for the night, I will brush my teeth....sounds silly...but nothing tastes right after you brush and your mouth is all minty..lol...

I have never been one to sit with a bag of chips...but I love crackers...so I don't buy them. I am trying to detox this week, and rid myself of the sugar monster...it is not easy!!

best of luck
    B
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    Its true if the things I overeat are not about I do not eat them :blushing: So I just have to go that route, or make just enough. If I time the chocolate chip cookies for right when the kids walk in the door I don't eat any because they have at them. Still have the hardest time in that late afternoon time.

I think not snacking after dinner helped with dropping a lot of the weight. I replaced my nighttime snack with exsercise, I get on the treadmill as soon as I get the kids setteled for bed and avoid that snack time. One of my friends has tea everyafternoon to nix the snack between 2 and 4, tea jsut isn't chcocolate, as much as I enjoy it!!:wink:

Good luck with cutting out sugar, sure does cause cravings. yesterday I made plain cranberries boiled for an hour on low with 2 packs of stevia. cured my dried fruit craving for hardly any calories. Cheers ~
  • christyrussell2
    christyrussell2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    If you brush your teeth, you won't want to snack. It's a trick I use to keep from going over my calories sometimes. I've found it very effective.

:heart: Christy
  • BrightonBelle
    BrightonBelle Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like the teeth cleaning tip! I don't think cookies would taste so good when flavoured with toothpaste!

My advice would be to still snack but choose snacks that are good for you. My favourites at the moment are: sliced up apple with some cashew nuts or fat-free yogurt with a spoonful of honey or sugar free Hartley's jelly. No-one wants to feel deprived so if you want a snack, have one, just try to keep it sensible. Pay attention to what your body wants and replace the naughty treats with healthy treats as much as you can - if you're craving something sweet, have fruit. If you want something salty, have popcorn. If you want something warm, have a hot drink. etc. etc.
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    I did well yesterday, I think starting this thread made me more accountable:love: So thanks much.

Snack calories went up but made dinner very low, baked sweet potato with salsa & glass of wine. Made up for the bits I ate with kids. I do like this gum one of the kids found that tastes of root beer, like a float. Yum!

Good luck at snack time all!~
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like the teeth cleaning tip! I don't think cookies would taste so good when flavoured with toothpaste!

My advice would be to still snack but choose snacks that are good for you. My favourites at the moment are: sliced up apple with some cashew nuts or fat-free yogurt with a spoonful of honey or sugar free Hartley's jelly. No-one wants to feel deprived so if you want a snack, have one, just try to keep it sensible. Pay attention to what your body wants and replace the naughty treats with healthy treats as much as you can - if you're craving something sweet, have fruit. If you want something salty, have popcorn. If you want something warm, have a hot drink. etc. etc.

I also like the brushing teeth idea! and these great snacks. I would also like to add low cal string cheese. It's only 60 calories and you can take your time eating it :) good luck with the snacking!
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    Hot tea with splenda seems to make me feel warm and satisfied some of the time. Also the more protein the less I crave the junk. Good luck, weigh in tomorrow already! Cheers~
  • Little_Laura_K
    Little_Laura_K Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, well this is my take it on if you want it then its best to count it into your calories. If its chocolate you crave with a cuppa get a smaller size bar like a time out they always hit the spot.

So my top alternatives:
    Sweet = small timeout bar / snack size bat of something / a square of dark chocolate / hot chocolate / add a sprinkle of cinnemon into tea its sweet.
    Savory = healthy version of crisps like sunbites, rice crackers flavored, podded peas, if you like veggies go for chopped up veggies though its hard this time of year its cold!
    Water= sometimes if you feel hungry your often dehydrated try water it fills you up you can add lemon /cinnemon / your fav courdeal into it and have it hot or cold.

Hope this helps I also struggle with knowing what to eat too, check out my diary feel free to add me as a friend. Laura x
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I agree with the popcorn idea. I find that having popcorn lets me munch mindlessly (I portion out my popcorn) while watching tv. veggie sticks and hummus are another great alternative
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    I think maybe I just can't have tortilla chips in the house! Or get a kind the kids like that I do not, like BBQ crisps. If it is not here I dont eat it, amazing how I keep running into that same problem:tongue:

The snacks I have done well with: Rice cakes (no salt) with spreaded cheese & salsa, baked sweet potato with salsa, hummus on cucumbers wrapped in a turkey slice. POPCORN with some hot cocoa or spicy chipotle seasoning on it, the banana egg pancake (so good) a protein bar that is chocolaty/with nuts with a cuppa in the afternoon, baby food pouches (odd I know but on the go they are yummy and healthy) can of salmon over broccoli slaw with a asian dressing (light)

Thats it for now but finding good ideas. want to break through this stop point. Cheers!:drinker:
  • Little_Laura_K
    Little_Laura_K Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you brush your teeth, you won't want to snack. It's a trick I use to keep from going over my calories sometimes. I've found it very effective.

:heart: Christy

Great tip! I will try this thanks xo