THE CHRISTIAN AMERICAN VOTE

Options
2»

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kezfran, surely you provide us food for thought. And I agree with you in regards to Christians not being much different than what is in the world. So you have to ask yourself, are they Christians at all?

After all, what makes a Christian? Isn't it a person who has been born again of 'water and spirit'? So I would argue that just because someone has been baptized for the forgiveness of their sins, if they are not repentant and filled with the spirit, then their worship is in vain. Therefore they are only self-proclaimed christians, but that does not amount to anything because if Jesus does not see you as a Christian, then any thing you claim to be does not amount to anything. You are still in your sin and condemned.

But as for the discussion here, don't you see that the Government does legislate morality? For instance, it is criminal to lie under oath (perjury), it is criminal to lie on paperwork (forgery), it is criminal to take another's property (larceny), it is criminal to hurt another (assault), it is criminal to sexually abuse another (rape/sodomy), it is criminal to kill (murder) with an exception for murder. And as you know, lying, stealing, sexual immorality, and murder are all against God's commands. Can you think of any crimes that are enforced that do not have some kind of moral thread? I can't. Let me think, kidnapping, child endangerment, animal cruelty, vandalism, rioting, custodial interference....? I honestly think that the government's job seems to be to legislate morality, in an attempt to protect the morally just from the morally unjust. Right? Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

But all of those things you just mentioned involve doing things to others. If i take drugs, that is my decision and doesnt harm you or take away from your liberties. Prostitution, gay mariage, same thing. Of course it is illegal to harm others or steal from others but that has less to do with morals and more to do with everyone having a right to live without being raped, stolen from, beaten, etc.. Gay mariage does no harm me or you. Someone doing drugs does not harm me or you. Two people exchanging money for sex does not harm me or you. Thats the difference.
  • pj12string
    pj12string Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you see as harmful. Is it harmful for your family to witness something God has defined as immoral and be told that it is moral? And while I understand your point, the reality is that gay marriage was never a criminal act, it was simply not recognized as 'marriage' because marriage is defined as a man and a woman who become life-mates/partners. Common sense should be able to dictate to us that male parts and female parts go together as well as puzzle pieces that fit precisely. Of course, I could force 2 puzzle pieces together that do not fit precisely and claim that I competed the puzzle. But anyone looking at it would say, 'no, those two pieces don't fit together'. See what I mean? Just because people have a desire to engage another person of the same gender sexually, doesn't mean it can be defined as a marriage. Gay relations have been going on since the beginning of time but they have never been the same as a marriage. Why are we so arrogant in this generation that we think we have a right to redefine what is a natural phenomenon like marriage?

And drugs do hurt people. Would you feel safe if the airline pilot had just finished a hit of heroin? Do you want the police officer who pulls you over for speeding to be stoned? Is it ok if your child's teacher is strung out on methadone? Drugs have consequences on the lives of others. It is simply to naive an idea to say that laws should only exist where another person is explicitly harmed.

The bottom line is that when something is wrong then it is wrong. If we allow wrongs to permeate our society then who decides when something is wrong enough to be called illegal?

As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord.