got a period after going a whole year?!?!??!

Options
lizziebeth1028
lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
Ladies!!!! - sorry for a bit of tmi but I'm freaking out a little because I got my period this morning after going 12 months without one!!!! I thought for sure I had reached menopause:((( I read on the internet (lol always a bad thing)....that once you've passed a year bleeding is considered abnormal and could be a sign of 'something else'. Needless to say I will be contacting my gynie today. But do any of you ladies out there know of someone this has happened too?!?! A bit freaked out:(( It feels just like a regular period....I had all the usual symptoms leading up to it:grumble:

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Definitely do contact you gyno - could be ovarian cysts or something else. Have you been eating a lot of soy? I've known women who started getting periods again after they began eating a lot of soy. But, still, better to have your doctor check it out.
  • ch00singlife
    ch00singlife Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If it feels and looks like a regular period, I wouldn't be too worried. But definitely call your doctor.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Ladies!!!! - sorry for a bit of tmi but I'm freaking out a little because I got my period this morning after going 12 months without one!!!! I thought for sure I had reached menopause:((( I read on the internet (lol always a bad thing)....that once you've passed a year bleeding is considered abnormal and could be a sign of 'something else'. Needless to say I will be contacting my gynie today. But do any of you ladies out there know of someone this has happened too?!?! A bit freaked out:(( It feels just like a regular period....I had all the usual symptoms leading up to it:grumble:

What you have just experienced is very common actually and I had the exact same thing happen a year after ceasing my periods. Unfortunately, you now have to wait (again) until the correct time has elapsed as it is like starting again. I always put it down to the last fling of the ovary, "just one last time" sort of thing.

I ended up having to go for an exploratory and they wanted to do a scrape but was unable to (for various reasons). I hasten to add, that was over two years ago now and I have not had a period since then.

I did find the hot flushes did not get worse though, they gradually petered out and I may get one every few days but they are completely bearable.

Hoping everything will be okay for you xxx
  • MsSleeth
    MsSleeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and that has happened to me. I would go a couple of months with nothing, and then have a period. The time between periods would gradually increase. I went a little over a year and then a period, and then a year and a half. My doctor explained that the ovaries don't just stop, but gradually end, and can alternate months, so that one ovary will produce a period one month and the other ovary doesn' produce a period the next month, or that it takes several cycles of an ovary doing its thing for a period to happen. The doctor said it was all normal, but suggested that I keep a period calendar to keep up with the changes in case there is any concern. She did say to come in if any period lasted an especially long time, like two weeks.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your responses!! I thought I was so done with periods and pms...surprise! ugh. I do have a doctors appointment this coming week to check things out. Hopefully it's just one last hurrah lol!! Thanks for all your support and I'll keep you guys posted! :flowerforyou:
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Really?! Damn! I'm at 8 mos and have been counting down! :sad:
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

Lol I know!!! I was totally unprepared...had to make a special run to the drugstore for supplies:wink:
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same here... 7 w/out one and the I had two in a row...and now I am on 2 months with out ...so far :) lol no trip to the store but almost as I was going to toss out my stuff :)
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That happened to me, but it was very light; only a spot really! If you are concerned though, talk to your doctor!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oh that so sucks!! No periods should be the REWARD for dealing with the night sweats etc.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me over the last several years. 8 mths one year, then started up again, 7 mths the next year, 8 mths, and now I am on the countdown again at 6 mths hoping for the full 12.... time will tell. Royal pain in the *kitten*. I am 54 and haven been in peri-menopause now since 2003 when the night sweats began,... it's like it will never end. And the hot flashes seem to change contantly. Either less frequent but just get clammy all over, or more frequent and really get drenched, etc... an evolving thing that is for sure!!
  • I just got mine after 6 mos. Will be calling MD about this . Good luck and wish you well
  • sunshinealldaylong
    Options
    I did the same thing ( mine was14 months then a period) I had read 12 months and you were in the clear. But it has been 2 and 1/2 years and that was it. A lot of hot flashes and I'm allergic to soy and just about all therapy is soy. I went to the health food store and bought wild yam cream- exercise has helped me so much.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    sorry for a bit of tmi but I'm freaking out a little because I got my period this morning after going 12 months without one!!!! Needless to say I will be contacting my gynie today.

Six years without one. And then......

Checked with my dr and referred back to my gynie. Did ultra sound. And MRI. Now need to see my dr and gynie again.
  • wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have been on and off for the past 3 - 4 years. At first I thought stress added to mine as my sister was seriously ill and I only missed one and then absolutely flooded the next month. but since then I've gone constant then missed 3 then constant again then missed 6 and then on again for one - well spotted - that was January and last week I started spotting again but yesterday came on properly so back to the beginning. The odd thing is I've not really had many hot flushes or night sweat (these are fairly mild for me) since I started using MFP. I know weight can affect your periods as it has done for me in the past but I really wish it would make up its mind what it wants to do.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!!! am at 11 months without one. Guess what I woke up to this am??!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    sorry for a bit of tmi but I'm freaking out a little because I got my period this morning after going 12 months without one!!!! Needless to say I will be contacting my gynie today.

Checked with my dr and referred back to my gynie. Did ultra sound. And MRI. Now need to see my dr and gynie again.
    What did your doc say?
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check with your doctor. My doctor said if you go a year without a period and then have one to come in and get checked. They did a vaginal sonigram to make sure everything was ok. Good luck to you!
  • leska1216
    Options

What did your doc say?

Dr say tests are inconclusive. Could be fibroids. Fibroids make sense as I have had problems with them before. If things get worse then back to speciaist. Monitor every 6 months. Probably in the future a hysterectomy.
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My last one was about a year from the previous one. My doctor said at the time that under the age of 50 you should think 2 years free before you are done, after the age of 50 it is a year. don't know if that is medical fact or her take on it though. Hope all ok for you.