Overwhelmed by NROL4W

Options
Ughh. I just got the e-edition two days ago. I've been trying to read it but I'm actually scared. Is this normal? I've never really done any hardcore lifting before. And I'm afraid I'll look like a *kitten* in the gym.

"Little fat Tyra trying to work out. Go to the elliptical machine you wannabe." is what my brain is telling me.

But that's exactly what I want to be. I want to be fit and healthy and just plain ol' sexy.

Any tips?

Replies

• yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I felt the SAME way. The best solution is to just follow the plan and not let anyone else dictate your health but you. So, to get started with weights... you have to find out where your 1 rep max is. Meaning, what can I lift only once? For me my dead lift was like - 60 pounds to start. Then, you take 80% of that to do your sets. Then, push yourself every workout by adding just a little more to your weights. For me, I added 10# almost every time I did a deadlift to see if I could. You could add 2.5, 5, whatever... just don't let it be easy. You will know when you hit that sweet spot if the last three reps are stupid hard. If the last three reps in a set are decent, then you aren't doing enough weight and need to bump it up.

As for the gym, take your sheets on what to do in with you - I bought the e-book, too so it kind of stinks for using the workout sheets. But, there are good spreadsheets here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmBawuhJvld5dFBNQnRfMUNtU3F4TXc4YmdpWWQyRnc#gid=0

the tabs on the bottom have all the workouts in an easy to follow format that you can take with you to the gym. Also, if you're first starting out you can ask a trainer at the gym to show you how to do the workouts... or, do what I did and look them all up on youtube. Good luck!
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    Awesome, thank you! Why in the world didn't I think of looking them up on YouTube? I'm a silly one.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you! Why in the world didn't I think of looking them up on YouTube? I'm a silly one.

Yes, YouTube is a must for correct form. Is there any way you can go to the gym on off hours? I go at 5:30am and I love having the gym almost to myself;) I don't have to feel self-conscious...
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I think that's what I'm going to start doing. I won't be in town at all next week so I find it a bum to start a new work out routine. I'll be here the following week which is when I am going to start my Stage 1. I don't have class until 1130 which makes everything fine and dandy!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Since you will be out of town, I would suggest when you look at the youtube vids, practice each of the moves. Form is very important before touching weights. The book shows you how to do it and youtube, so get in front of the mirror and do each move making sure it is correct. When you go to the gym and add weights you will be ahead of the game.

One thing I know, in the weight room...the guys really don't care. I think they are rather impressed by females actually doing something more than swinging a barbie bell:-)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I actually had a guy offer to remove the 45lb plates that someone had left on a barbell so I could use the squat rack once. I said, "no, I got this" and removed BOTH at once with no problem. He laughed and said, "looks like you know what you're doing." You just have to go for it and own your movements. The other thing I can suggest is signing up for a personal training session and showing the PT your workouts. Then he/she can help you make sure form is correct before you get started.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you a secret, many of those people you think are looking at you.... are doing the exercises wrong too ;)

Don't feel like you stand out, you really don't. People like looking around and just because you see people looking around doesn't mean they are thinking poorly of you. That is actually all in your head. You need to change how you talk to yourself, tell yourself you are not fat that you are getting stronger and that you need to be in the free weight area. Don't classify parts of the gym as this or that, just know you need to be over there or over here.

Okay, this is going to sound really weird, but you might also think of bring something that makes you feel comfortable (think.. security blanket) and fiddling around with it when you need to. For me, my white binder is my security blanket. When I am between sets I look at it, record my sets, etc and doing so sort of gives me a sense of comfort. You might bring your phone with a particular app, your iPod, towel to wipe off sweat... whatever, but have something you can grab and just take a breath with. If you feel yourself starting to feel like you are overwhelmed, go to your personal thing and just take a breather.
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    OMG Tyraskanks that is how i feel!!!

although i am not looking into NROL4W, I am ready for lifting heavy!!!

So I looked at STS and thought holy crap thats scary!!

Then i thought strong lifts is the way to go cause its only like 3 different exercises, easy right??
    Then i watched it and thought far out that looks too scary to do infront of others!!!

Then i realised that no matter what program i do, my issue is with working out infront of others and using barbell that i have never ever used and i am feeling like such a try hard!!! I haven't even hit the gym yet either!!!

I am just used to working out on my own with the dogs at the oval, lifting dumbbells, running etc...

I was going to get bench, barbells, etc for home use in the garage, but once i measured i all up the area we have, its just not going to be enough space! So i can't get out of the whole gym thing, if i want to do heavy lifting!

Good luck to you! Hopefully we can both overcome our insecurities, the benefits will sure outweigh it! :)
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Just get in there and do it. I think most of us were pretty nervous the first time...but a few workouts into stage 1 you will feel like a beast (in a good way, of course) :)

My first time trying Stage 2B workout, I did the cuban snatch, which requires laying face down on a bench at an incline. On about the the 3rd rep, the bench broke and collapsed under me. The few guys in the gym with me all rushed over to make sure I was ok. I figure if I made it through that without dying of embarrassment, I can do just about anything.

Good luck with starting NROL4W! I really think you'll love it!!
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Tyra - I am starting NROL4W on Monday the 26th - we can get through this together!

I am going to be spending time this weekend builidng "my book" - I love the idea of creating a binder that has everything in it. And will be you-tubing the proper forms. I was shown how to do a deadlift by the trainer at the gym but apparently I don't quite have the form down...so practice makes perfect.

We got this....