Watching the scale?

Options
Hi everyone - I have been 8 days abstinent today - I was almost looking forward to getting on the scale today because it has been a week and I thought I would see some great progress - sadly it was barely a pound I had lost. I know my journey is about my relationship with food, my higher power and the steps - so I have decided to do what my sponsor does and only weigh myself once a month due to the obsessive nature of this - but I can't help but feel disappointed - I am nervous the weight won't come off just as all of the previous attempts prior to OA - thanks for reading :)

Jen

Replies

• jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it can be when things don't move quickly, and I have a hard time being patient with myself as well, but remember, 1 pound a week is what's most often recommended for folks, and still requires tremendous effort to achieve. We may want more, but what you accomplished is, indeed, an accomplishment:)
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I stopped weighing myself about three months ago because I was weighing myself up to 6 times a day. I've lost 88 pounds and have another 47 to go to be at a health weight. The frustration of my weigh loss slowing down was causing me to doubt whether or not my efforts were worth it. I had to remind myself that OA is not about weight loss...it is about my compulsive eating, binging, and food behaviors. If I'm abstinent, the weight will eventually take care of itself. I have a better relationship with food and people due to working the steps.

Also, keep in mind that once it comes off this time, it will stay off!
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    At one time I actually went more than 2 years without weighing myself at all. The numbers on the scale have power only when we let it. The numbers on the scale go up and down for a variety of reasons unrelated to our weight loss efforts--periods, water retention, muscle gain or loss, bowel movements, etc.

I once had a sponsor tell me that my weight was none of my business. I thought, "WHAT??!!" How can my own weight be none of my business? My sponsor taught me that my business was only those things over which I had influence, like the bites of food I put in my mouth and the exercise I did. God would take care of the rest.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am weighing myself less and less.. It's tough.. I used to step on the scale several times a day.. And I do believe this journey has nothing to do with what's on the scale; it has more to do with what's in the heart... ;-)):heart::flowerforyou:
  • JennyRN70
    Options

I once had a sponsor tell me that my weight was none of my business.

LOL - that is too cute - and so true! Thanks everyone for your comments - I weighted myself the next day and yes I have gone down a total of 3lbs with 12 days abstinence so that is a good feeling - trying on holiday dresses today - not such a good feeling - but I know OA and my higher power will get me there :)
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I never connected that the obsession I assumed I would have with a scale would be connected (at least in some way) with my compulsive overeating... but of course it is. Addictive behavior is addictive behavior... and I can binge on weighing in just as easily as I can on trigger foods.

I do own a scale... but it's broken. I'm currently doing medically supervised weight loss so I weigh in at the doctor's office, once a month. Sometimes I agonize over not knowing my up-to-the-minute weight loss. But I know that I would also agonize if I DID know my up-to-the-minute weight loss. :)

I really like what Kris said, that our business is only what is within our control.
  • operavagabond
    operavagabond Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think over the past year, I've learned not to have panic attacks when stepping on the scale. I went through a 5 year period without even owning a scale - and during that time my weight ballooned past 300lbs. (For some people like me who suffer distorted body image issues, not having the occasional 'reality check' makes the distortion worse.) I guess now I've learned for myself that scales are devices that measure things, and that's all. I admit I have a disease and it helps me to monitor the my weight daily. (I'm not suggesting this for anyone else! You have to go with what works for you!) And I use that "data" to see where I'm going just like the diabetic checks their insulin daily.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    OA says not to, but I have been known to be scale addicted, daily, hourly even.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    OA says not to, but I have been known to be scale addicted, daily, hourly even.

That sounds painful... especially since there's virtually no direction to go but up throughout the course of a day. I'm known to become a bit scale obsessed as well. I find it tough to disengage from it. None of this is easy...
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Oh I don't think it's awful. I have now found that I am doing this on and off. Sometimes obsessed, sometimes not. So, because i gave myself permission to do this, it's good. Actually it seems to lessen the obsession a bit.
  • pattycakes1978
    pattycakes1978 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's great advise you sponsor gave you about your weight being non of your business. It's really making me think. Thank you.