Help with nerves and starting class again!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping for a bit of help with my nerves...or at least a bit of encouragement :)

My confession is that I've been away from dance completely for the last 6 months. Not a single class. It started because my work schedule changed and I couldn't get to my classes, and this was true until around a month ago. Now I don't have that excuse. I have time, and will have even more time in about another month when I go on my winter break from work for two months (think the opposite of a teacher's summer break!).

Problem now is that I think it's my nerves that are keeping me from heading back (I mainly do ballet and contemporary btw). I keep having all sorts of 'reasons' (read EXCUSES) that have kept me from returning to class, but I know I'm just nervous. I know what havoc 6 months of doing nothing can reak on your body and technique. I know I'm going to be frustrated and irritated with the slow climb back to where I was 6 months ago. People in my classes are GOOD as well, which doesn't make things easier.

Anyways, has anyone experienced this? Any words of wisdom? Ultimately, I know 'just do it' is the answer, I'm just looking for a bit of help with my outlook, or some ideas etc.

Thanks in advance!
-C

Replies

• dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Go girl, go! But this you already know... ;-)
    So, what else could I tell you from my experience being a dancer, dance student, dance teacher, dance performer, dance therapist...?
    Go, go to that class and start dancing again. With all your heart and love and every cell. Yes, the first pliés will not be so nice and soft and smooth and deep as they were. But your body remebers a lot. But if you really danced that much it will come back soon. But in the beginning - yes - your muscles will hurt a lot and your frappés won't be so fast. It's hard to go back after a break. But it doesn't get easier by waiting longer. And every dancer and dance teacher knows that. So they will welcome you back!

And if you really don't dare to go to your old class, go for just an open training in another school or place. Maybe even a beginners class. So no one knows you and your (supposed) level. And after you can go back to your class ;-)

But in the end it comes to yes - just do it! And DANCE!

Ps: feel free to add me as a dancer friend ;-)
  • commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Go girl, go! But this you already know... ;-)
    So, what else could I tell you from my experience being a dancer, dance student, dance teacher, dance performer, dance therapist...?
    Go, go to that class and start dancing again. With all your heart and love and every cell. Yes, the first pliés will not be so nice and soft and smooth and deep as they were. But your body remebers a lot. But if you really danced that much it will come back soon. But in the beginning - yes - your muscles will hurt a lot and your frappés won't be so fast. It's hard to go back after a break. But it doesn't get easier by waiting longer. And every dancer and dance teacher knows that. So they will welcome you back!

And if you really don't dare to go to your old class, go for just an open training in another school or place. Maybe even a beginners class. So no one knows you and your (supposed) level. And after you can go back to your class ;-)

But in the end it comes to yes - just do it! And DANCE!

Ps: feel free to add me as a dancer friend ;-)

Thanks so much for the reply!!! I know it really just comes down to doing it, but your motivation is really helpful :) My teacher is supportive, so he's certainly not the issue (although I'll certainly get a 'where the hell were YOU?' comment :P). I'm just really competitive with myself, and it's hard to deal with knowing you're not going to be too great. That's a good idea about a beginner class, maybe I'll look into finding one :)

Totally adding you as a dancer friend!!