Grips, climbing, basics

Options
mllst18
mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
Hey guys! I love to do different pole dancing classes on the weekends, but I have some questions.

1. Do/did your forearms get really sore when you first began? Did that go away?
2. I am really terrible at climbing, actually can't do it at all! Which muscle group do you suggest to strengthen to be able to climb?
3. Did you find that you got much better at these things and strengthened up a lot more after buying your own pole?
4. Does anyone here have the Carmen Electra Spinning Pole? If so, what do you think?
5. Did you find that when you stuck with it, that you became more graceful? I have never been graceful, but for some reason, pole dancing is something that I really want to master....

Thanks guys!!!!!

Replies

• lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi... I'll try and answer as much as I can:

1, Yes my arms felt like they were about to fall off after my first lesson, and sometimes, after a good workout on the pole, my arms will still hurt, albeit not so severely. I don't think the pain will go away if you're really doing a good workout, it just gets easier and not so unbearable! ;)
    2, The climbing, like all the moves in pole, gets better with practise; it's all about keeping at it.
    3, I think having a pole helps, but I think it's better to get one once you've been doing pole for a while.
    4, I would not recommend that pole AT ALL! The horror stories I've heard about it, I would say stay the hell away from it! It has a thing of coming loose and means you'll go flying into something mid spin! If you're going to buy a pole, go for a professional sports pole, like X-pole. You can't be too careful
    5, The more strength you get, the more effortless you become, so at first you'll be huffing and puffing, and soon enough you'll be jumping up and going into certain moves with ease... like I said above it's all about sticking at it and practise!

Hope this helps and have fun! :D
  • mllst18
    Options
    Thanks Lori! :flowerforyou:
  • faeofthedark
    faeofthedark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not as experienced, I've been doing pole about 4 months now...but my thoughts:

Yes, I agree with Lori, it gets less as you get stronger. I still have some wrist supports I wear as they can ache particularly as I work on a computer all day as well.

2. I am really terrible at climbing, actually can't do it at all! Which muscle group do you suggest to strengthen to be able to climb?
    It took me a long time to get climbing, everyone else in class managed it way before me, I just wasn't strong enough. You get stronger with time try doing some pull ups each time to strengthen and practice griping with legs. I also used to get bruises across the top of my feet.

3. Did you find that you got much better at these things and strengthened up a lot more after buying your own pole?
    I recently got a pole and after the initial excitement, I've been finding I don't actually use my pole as much as I thought I would.. after a fall at class I think maybe I'm slightly frightened of falling with no one around to look after me if I get hurt.

4. Does anyone here have the Carmen Electra Spinning Pole? If so, what do you think?
    Can't help with this one I went with Xpole as instructor and others recommended

5. Did you find that when you stuck with it, that you became more graceful? I have never been graceful, but for some reason, pole dancing is something that I really want to master....
    I agree with Lori its building strength and practice that makes it look more effortless, and little things like pointing toes and smiling to try and make it look less effort.
  • mllst18
    Options
    I'm not as experienced, I've been doing pole about 4 months now...but my thoughts:

Yes, I agree with Lori, it gets less as you get stronger. I still have some wrist supports I wear as they can ache particularly as I work on a computer all day as well.

It took me a long time to get climbing, everyone else in class managed it way before me, I just wasn't strong enough. You get stronger with time try doing some pull ups each time to strengthen and practice griping with legs. I also used to get bruises across the top of my feet.

I recently got a pole and after the initial excitement, I've been finding I don't actually use my pole as much as I thought I would.. after a fall at class I think maybe I'm slightly frightened of falling with no one around to look after me if I get hurt.

Can't help with this one I went with Xpole as instructor and others recommended

I agree with Lori its building strength and practice that makes it look more effortless, and little things like pointing toes and smiling to try and make it look less effort.

Thank you! I can't believe you got bruises on your feet! OUCH! I really want my own pole, but the xpoles are so expensive...hmm...guess I'll be saving for a bit!
  • lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I can't believe you got bruises on your feet! OUCH! I really want my own pole, but the xpoles are so expensive...hmm...guess I'll be saving for a bit!

Yeah I always get bruising on my feet if we do a lot of climbing in class, don't really get it as much anymore as we mainly concentrate on the inverted moves.

But yeah do not skrimp on a pole, it's better to know you're getting a decent pole that won't fall on you every time you use it!
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lori has answered much better than i could, but here's my view... (background - Have been pole-ing on and off for a few years. Now train 3 times a week, but also intersperesed with my new love of Lyra (Aerial Hoop!)

yes. very. Most people are not used to lifting their own weight, and bearing it on new areas of your body. Watch your forearms though, this can be serious. When many people start training twisty grip (bearing all your weight on your bottom - usually weaker- arm) we see a hell of a lot of injuries - I've done it, so have most of the team I train with. My lovely OH has just started to pole, and has damaged the same place thorugh just spins and climbs. It feels like it's in your forearm, running down towards your elbow.
    Big Tips from here: Stretch. Stretch before and after class - not just normal ones, but specific to that muscle. So arm out straight, palm facing away; gently press on your hand, gently pulling it back to you. Als good to do this with both hands flat on a wall. Warm these puppies up thoroughly - a stretch usually mot done in a pole class!
    Second, strengthen them!! a tennis ball is your new bezzie mate - carry one with you wherever you are, and squeeze it a few times every couple of hours. Sounds bonkers, but works a treat :)

I cheat. I mainly arms-only climb. naughty, and should not be done!! You need to work your shoulders, arms and calves and thighs. If you can get into a broken-foot climbing position, then to squats from here. so with both feet on the pole, reach one arm really high, and keep the other in a forearm grip, then using your legs push your bum up, then lower down. A few of these per sesh and you'll be gaining strength real quick (and have a lovely toned booty!)

No! like someone else posted, I really do better training with my mates. we ahve "Pole jams" so a non-tutored session a few times a week where you can just drop in. I do much better here! (plus there's usually cake ;) )

Lori has answered this perfectly! ;)

I'm not graceful - but I've adapted this to my own style. I'm lucky that i've got mahooooosively long legs, so "look" graceful (as long as I'm not walking around, when I look like a baby giraffe!). however, as you get more used to moving around the pole, and more controlled, you will naturally gain grace in balance and fluidity. I'm gonna post a vid in another thread in a min - you'll see what I mean ;)

happy pole-ing - keep us posted!! :D

axx