Tracking Yoga practice on MFP

Options
Hi there- I am a newbie to MFP and really love it so far!!

Just wondering how some of the rest of you go about tracking a yoga class in terms of logging it in your MFP diary. I have a vinyasa class tonight and am stumped! Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is the calorie burn calculations are very rough guesstimates for any activity in the database, including yoga. The nearest on there is something like Hatha Yoga I think it is called and I agree, Vinyasa is going to be more demanding than most Hatha classes.

I just log it under the hatha option there and if I have actually burned more I see it as a calorie-burn-bonus.

You could try wearing a heart rate monitor during one or two of your typical classes and go by that for future logs.

Do you know how to create your own exercise entries - post here if not and we can talk you through it.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I found the MFP numbers for yoga very low. It calculates 134 for 50 minutes of yoga for me, and I always override it to 200. I actually think that may be a little too high for me now, since I've lost weight and the yoga isn't as strenuous now that I'm doing it every day, but it all seems to even out, so it's all good.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've worn my heartrate monitor while doing power yoga, and for me it's about 150 calories for a full 30 minute session. A 50 minute intense power yoga session burned 300 calories. Neither sessions included cooldown time. I'm about 170 lbs. Hope that helps give you a better idea. Everyone is different and every class is different so I agree with C4RL05 about estimating a little low and having a bonus if you did burn more.
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I log 324 for one hr core strength vinyasa which I think I based on another website. I doubt its accurate but I lost when I needed to and am now maintaining, and I do eat back most of my exercise calories. On other days I do yoga pilates fusion and log 117 for 50 min - so perhaps I find balance through a mix of underestimating and over estimating! I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm helping - I guess its a case of individual experimentation.
  • harrietteb1
    Options
    You all are awesome! Thanks so much for these suggestions!! :) This is very helpful.:smile:
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You are most welcome :flowerforyou:
  • earpies37
    Options
    i wore my heart rate monitor to a heated level2 power vinyasa class, kept me in my target heart rate zone for 50 of the 60 minutes of class and said i burned about 800 calories. i plugged my heart rate data into other calculators and they all came up with the same numbers...

that said i am relatively new to practicing and a former smoker so im sure it would burn less for someone in better shape :)