To drink or not to drink...

Options
OK. I know this isn't for everyone, but I've found the only thing that works for me is to 100% stave off alcohol. CRAZY during the holidays...I KNOW! However, there are many positives...

1. You can offer yourself up as DDrive for MANY family and work functions...build up the favors!
2. Alcohol during the holidays usually isn't 1-2 drinks...it's a 4 hour cocktail party, dinner, or work party...drink counts can quickly get away from you.
3. The morning after imbibing on a few too many, the only thing I can think of the next morning is a greasy egg, cheese and bacon on a bagel. I don't need that additional temptation!
4. My downfall is wine...so for everyweek that I go comepletely alcohol free...I'm going to buy a nice bottle of wine for my wine cellar. Think of the party I'm going to throw when I meet my goal in July!!

So for me...it's NOT to drink!! Again, it's not for everyone, but If I can do it, you can do it!

Replies

• mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That has been my goal for quite some time!! My husband works all day and goes to school until 9pm M-Th and most of Saturday. I don't work and stay home with 3 kids allll the time!! I have been having 1 small drink at night (that's my ONLY downfall) with rum and coke just to relax and spend time with my hubby. I have noticed that since starting this ritual, the toning phase has slowed compared to the past. I am definitely going to start working at maybe 1 drink on the weekend instead.
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm use to having a small scotch every night, but while it is not that caloric, it might be keeping me from doing some things that would be healthier to do instead. What would a good replacement be? Instead of drinking scotch do situps? That would be...well...depressing.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm use to having a small scotch every night, but while it is not that caloric, it might be keeping me from doing some things that would be healthier to do instead. What would a good replacement be? Instead of drinking scotch do situps? That would be...well...depressing.

lol yes that sounds depressing! To find a replacement you have to find out why you drink? Is it because you are bored, stressed, like it? If it's because there is nothing else better to do, maybe switch your workout times around.
  • Mac_X
    Options
    Oh, it's definitely because I like it. But I will find something constructive to do instead. Something cheaper, too, good scotch is not cheap!
  • krstn102109
    krstn102109 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My 21st birthday is this month. I am so scared that I am going to gain alcohol weight. Any tips? Obviously with it being my 21st birthday, I don't really want to not drink at all.
  • uva96duke98
    Options
    Ah...to be 21 again....

Moderation. Pick a night where you will be 'ok' and not worrying about it...then the other nights, don't let yourself drink 'just because'...

It will take you time to know what your body will do and what wiggle room it will allow you.

Unfortunately for me...wine is my 'gateway' for bad behavior (diet wise)....so if I'm really going to do this...I'm chosing to stop for a while. But that's not for everyone!
  • Mac_X
    Options
    Stay away from sugary, fruity drinks like margaritas and the like. Lots of excess calories and sugar especially.
  • tmichel7
    tmichel7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this on a regular basis! I am pretty sure the reason I cant lose this pesky ten pounds (constantly losing two gaining two etc.) is because I havent been limiting my alcohol consumption. One of the big things my friends and I do is drink wine and chat so it is really easy to put one-two bottles away just spending time with each other. How do you balance that and try hard to lose weight. Some of my friends are wonderful and there is no judgement when I go alcohol free but with others I feel guilty if I dont partake!! How to balance is a tough road but I agree I think ALCOHOL definitely slows down dramatically the weight loss goals.
  • Doreen9686
    Options
    This is a struggle for many of us during the holidays. My drink of choice is beer, so I have switched to a 64 calorie beer. That way when I do give in to temptation and indulge in a few, I can have twice as many for the same amount of calories as my old beer of choice. My big downfall is all the appetizers every where you go! I could make a meal out of some of my favorites!
  • lindoussa
    Options
    I am really not a big drinker. I really don't like the taste of alcohol and the ones I do like are the really fruity kind like Arbor Mist, which I am sure is really high in calories. So I guess it's no drink for me!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I did a sober October challenge and it was interesting. I did have one small drink for a birthday toast, but the other 30 days I stayed with it. I did find that I had more energy and slept better too without my evening cocktail. Going out and being social was a little awkward with friends, esp if friends have already been drinking and trying to buy you a round. After awhile I learned to just order diet sprite with a lime in it and everyone assumed I had a cocktail. My friends and family became amusing to watch as they got drunker and I was sober :)

I too think the drinking in November is why I put back on 5lbs that I lost, it's a gateway to poor food choices, not to mention the wasted calories in the alcohol itself. Good luck with your venture and kudos to you for wanting to make a healthier change. I'm not going to give up drinking, but I am definitely going to scale back and sometimes just skip out at social events.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    My drinks of choice used to be beer and wine (have a wine cellar full of some nice reds). Since I really devoted myself to this journey I have cut out the beer and wine (except for the occasional glass), but as our social life really seems to revolve around drinks with friends I have switched to vodka with water and lemon. It is a nice refreshing drink and I still sleep well and feel great enough the next day to get up early for runs with my pups. I`m not one to completely cut out food or drinks that I like as I find that I end up setting myself up for failure, and what I am doing now seems to be working :drinker: