What's your biggest temptation this holiday?

Options
Sparlingo
Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
What is your biggest temptation this holiday season, and what are your strategies to combat it?

It's between the appetizers and the sweets for me... Probably appys because they are so easy to mindlessly consume! I'm a little more deliberate with the sweets, though still terrible.

My strategy this year is accountability. My husband knows that while he can't police my eating, he has permission to remind me to watch my portion control and remind me of my goals. I've also been vocal about my attempts to get in shape around my family. I'm going to remind myself that I'm among people who know I'm trying to eat better. Having an "audience" (even though in reality they wouldn't care how much I eat) will help keep me mindful.

How about you?

Replies

• mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My temptation is, as always, sweets. I'm so glad my dad asked me to make the 2 candies that aren't my favorites. I love to bake around the holidays so I'll be bringing lots of stuff into work so I can just have a taste. The cookies from the cookie exchange I was roped into organizing at work will be sent somewhere - given to neighbors or left for the off shift operators or something.

I'm also going to give myself permission for a couple of splurges during December with the expectation that I'll walk the line the rest of the time: dinner at Calhoun's in Knoxville, a couple of great grandma cookies while at my parents. On the other hand, I've already talked mom into a roast and veggies for Christmas day dinner instead of lasagna, and we are still negotiating dinner on Christmas Eve.

I think your idea of having your husband remind you of your goals is a good one. I think I'll ask a few of my friends to do the same...even if it is just via texts.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't have to worry about the typical temptations this year (as long as my boss keeps the sweets at a minimum). What I have to worry about is my upcoming 10-day vacation and to total lack of planning my family exhibits, thus making it more difficult to figure out ahead of time what I will be eating. I suppose as long as I stay away from the Mai Tais and Margaritas and chocolate covered strawberries, I'll be in good shape.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    My temptation is always sweets! I am always baking something tastey during the holiday. I usually do cookies or cupcakes for my son and the other neightborhood kiddos at least once a week. They love it!

I have been doing a great job of avoiding them so far. Moderation is key though.
  • VickieZureich
    VickieZureich Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am sure it will be cookies;going to a cookie exchange in a few weeks;also Mexican food as I cook it regularly...trying to curb my portions now so when they hit will be prepared and can enjoy a little...right now gained some during Thanksgiving, so working to get it off..
  • knormandin64
    Options
    For me it's appetizers. The family has them out all day, every day, and we'll be together for a week over Christmas. I always suggest appetizers that I don't like, that helps! Moderation is the key.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My temptation is eggnog! Aside from that, it's just the warm comfort foods that I cook for everyone on the day of Christmas. I go through all of my cook books and make so many warm dishes that I always indulge in. It's the only time of year that I get to show off my cooking and baking skills, so I always go all out!!
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I always bake and make lots of homemade cookies and that, and am constantly eating while baking! Then I have to try it when it's done...Debating not baking this season to keep temtations away ! I hardly ever eat sweets that are store bought but the holidays just are difficult!!!
  • mama4loca
    Options
    My temptation is eggnog! Aside from that, it's just the warm comfort foods that I cook for everyone on the day of Christmas. I go through all of my cook books and make so many warm dishes that I always indulge in. It's the only time of year that I get to show off my cooking and baking skills, so I always go all out!!

I forgot about eggnog! And yes, I go all out too, cooking for everyone.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sweeeeeeeeets!! They are my cryptonite. Always have been. :grumble:
  • krystinaolsen
    krystinaolsen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When butter and sugar come together, maybe a little flour and a pinch of salt ... it's my weakness. Cake? Yep. Brownies? Oh yeah. Cookies? All day long!

I'm pretty good about keeping portions small, so hopefully that will help me this season. I just can't keep it in the house. Cuz when things get a little emotional ... those sugary sweets will be gone. I'd much rather emotionally eat yogurt or carrots, than pie or crinkles. Oi vey.
  • msmeka77
    msmeka77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My biggest temptation will be 1) the sweets and 2) the urge to get seconds.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sweeeeeeeeets!! They are my cryptonite. Always have been. :grumble:

MEEEE TOOOO. Sweets and ANY carb. I used to joke that I am a carbivore.
  • Sparlingo
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

Any more ideas for keeping things in check?
  • spudnz
    spudnz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im heading away this avo for three days camping with friends. I ALWAYS in the past have overindulged and come home with a couple of extra kilos. I am always so good to start with, and my will power disappears. I think the problem for me is my friend - when we were at school she was always so much smaller than me - now she is a couple of sizes bigger than me and she doesnt like it, so she sabotages my efforts by supplying way too many things that I like! Last year I managed to combat it for a day with fruit and vege platters, and no cheese - which worked a treat! The comments do get to me though - things like, aww you could let yourself go for a day or two, dont worry about it today, blah blah blah. I even considered not going this time, but I am determined to do my own thing and stay true to my goal. I know I will probably have the odd small glass of wine (and Im taking my own small one!), and the odd nibblie thing, but I plan to walk twice a day and maybe do some squats and lunges and other incidental exercise. Time will tell on Tuesday when I post up my weight!

As for my christmas holiday plans, we are having christmas at home, so should be okay. I have some low fat yum ideas to keep on track with!
  • Sparlingo
    Options
    Im heading away this avo for three days camping with friends. I ALWAYS in the past have overindulged and come home with a couple of extra kilos. I am always so good to start with, and my will power disappears. I think the problem for me is my friend - when we were at school she was always so much smaller than me - now she is a couple of sizes bigger than me and she doesnt like it, so she sabotages my efforts by supplying way too many things that I like! Last year I managed to combat it for a day with fruit and vege platters, and no cheese - which worked a treat! The comments do get to me though - things like, aww you could let yourself go for a day or two, dont worry about it today, blah blah blah. I even considered not going this time, but I am determined to do my own thing and stay true to my goal. I know I will probably have the odd small glass of wine (and Im taking my own small one!), and the odd nibblie thing, but I plan to walk twice a day and maybe do some squats and lunges and other incidental exercise. Time will tell on Tuesday when I post up my weight!

As for my christmas holiday plans, we are having christmas at home, so should be okay. I have some low fat yum ideas to keep on track with!

Great ideas! Not to get too off-topic, but where on Earth do you live that you can camp in December? It's too cold here half way through September. Or are you some amazing hardcore winter camper???
  • spudnz
    spudnz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sparlingo - Im in NZ - and no the weather is not that great today! Its raining, but relatively warm. We are heading into summer, so hoping for some nice weather!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    For me it's eggnog, appetizers, cookie dough and the very Merry cocktails from all the holiday parties.
  • lindoussa
    Options
    While I ate HORRIBLY for Thanksgiving, I am not really worried about temptations for Christmas. We just moved over 1200 miles away from family and are on our own this Christmas. SO, I can make whatever I want! You can bet it will be healthier options. My problem with the holidays was having all of the fattening and sweet foods, that I ate a ton of because I only got to eat them one time a year. Since it will just be us I won't have those temptations because I am not making them!
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sweets...I am an elementary school teacher, and sweets are constantly in the lounge this time of year. I did have a NSV today. A student gave me a cupcake, and I didn't eat it. Normally I would have eaten it right away, but knowing I had my group to hold me accountable gave me willpower! :heart:
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say that my boss has either not brought in stuff I will eat or brought in anything at all. And I did well with the Christmas party I went to last night...Only ate a little bit and just a couple cookies (instead of the whole plate).