compulsive eater HELP!

Options
Hi, I'm Bernardita from Chile, and I wanted to ask you some advice on how to stop binge eating. Honestly if I have wanted to eat me go to the kitchen or run to buy anything and I have come to eat 4000 kcal in one day. That obviously makes me bad but I can not help, I hope you can help me, greetings to all

Replies

• ClaireM8
    Options
    I find that calorie counting helps me. Having to account for everything I put in my mouth.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you aren't bad - you are human.
    we all have struggles.

i don't know what to say to help because i am like you.
    i eat when i'm not hungry.
    maybe you could try using a food journal and write down everything you eat.
    maybe you could also pay attention to how you feel before during and after you eat the food and write those feelings down as well.
    maybe that will help you figure some things out.

i wish you well!
  • Also you could use small plates to make your mind think you have ate a lot of food. I do the all the time I feel as I have eaten just enough (:
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I find that calorie counting helps me. Having to account for everything I put in my mouth.

This helps me as well.

It' has also helped me learn how to choose snacks better because I know what I'm getting myself into.
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I feel I am getting out of control I log all my food and that helps me decide if going over is worth it or not. Most of the time I say no! Stop now! you will regret this is you don't
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My biggest help was admitting that I'm a compulsive eater to those I'm closest to. I eventually went as far as writing about it on facebook. Now it's common knowledge of those around me and I feel I can talk about it openly. Before it was a big secret and I felt so ashamed. Now that those around me know, it feels less heavy. I still struggle, but because I can talk about it I have an easier time getting through the cravings.

Don't get me wrong, I still have terrible trouble, but I feel better and have more days that are good than bad.

Find someone you REALLY trust and know will be supportive and not judgmental and just tell them.

Here is what I posted on facebook, perhaps it will help you in some way. I have friends that it helped. By my saying it in front of the world, a few of my friends gained courage to say it too.

Empower yourself.

"Living an interesting life is exhausting. I could converse with most anyone, from a university professors to a blue collar truck driver, Pagans to Buddhists to Fundamentalist Christians on any given day until the end of that day. Since a very young age I have had a lot to say. People have been telling me to shut up since I learned to speak. My father tells me I used to ramble on about nothing. I would continually talk about nothing till they told me, "Okay, it's time to stop talking now."

As I got into my early teens I became aware of others telling me, "You talk a lot." I was a rather awkward teen and this only added to my feelings of self-consciousness. I battle depression and anxiety throughout puberty. My favorite explanation and the most accurate was something I overheard my brother say to my parents on a morning after I had gotten myself into a heap of trouble. He said, "Rachel has always thought she was one step below everyone else." This was very accurate. Was.

Luckily, the universe is designed so we grow up and I don't feel quite as self-conscious anymore. I do still struggle with the coping mechanisms I created in my youth. To this day I am secretive. I am a compulsive eater. I eat in secret. I hide food. I eat healthy in front of people and plan for those times when I know I'll be alone. Just writing about it makes me start to shut down. It's shameful. It's a coping mechanism.

I have a lot of coping mechanisms and it one of my coping mechanisms that allows me to live an interesting life, meet interesting people and have interesting hobbies.

I have a great need for instant gratification and therefore, a short attention span. I take on projects and hold jobs just long enough to get bored and frustrated and become a novice expert. I know a little bit about everything.

I love change:
    I'm a singer, reader, religion/politics/philosophy buff. I spin fire, make costumes, hula hoop. I've been a cake decorator, vacation guide, cell phone salesperson, Barista, caterer and now I work in publishing. I like teaching and learning. I love a debate and even more, I love being right.

Being interesting is exhausting. It is a constant search for the knowledge, belief system, hobby, occupation or ability that will provide the final and complete satisfaction. Being interesting is really nothing more than a coping mechanism."

Rach
  • RDawn7
    RDawn7 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, I would join a support group. Like Over eaters Anonymous. Compuslive overeating isn't about being fat, its about eating when you're not hungry, and eating to deny yourself some emotional issues you don't want to deal with. I am a compulsive overeater and this group helped me overcome my binge eating. I also read a book called "Feeding the Hungry Heart". This book helped me out a lot. Good luck to you.
  • dessyrenae
    Options
    i am a type 1 diabetic and may be developing the eating disorder called diabulimia. it is where you binge and dont to a bolus for the carbs you just ate because you are scared of weight gain, or you just refuse to bolus after the meals needed to be counted for. i just skip a bolus after i binge and it has been hard with me this thanksgiving holiday. i am doing good as of now but i am scared of the christmas holiday. i am scared to come home now because i know i can eat any food in my house. i am trying to get back on here and log in all my foods and also carry a book around to log in my blood glucose and what i eat to see what exactly i need to change or keep doing. i need a little motivation from you guys. <3 happy holidays!
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i am a type 1 diabetic and may be developing the eating disorder called diabulimia. it is where you binge and dont to a bolus for the carbs you just ate because you are scared of weight gain, or you just refuse to bolus after the meals needed to be counted for. i just skip a bolus after i binge and it has been hard with me this thanksgiving holiday. i am doing good as of now but i am scared of the christmas holiday. i am scared to come home now because i know i can eat any food in my house. i am trying to get back on here and log in all my foods and also carry a book around to log in my blood glucose and what i eat to see what exactly i need to change or keep doing. i need a little motivation from you guys. <3 happy holidays!

Is this what used to be called 'chew and spit'? Is there a medical name for that now? Interesting...I've been saying that is a form of bulemia for a long time. I have some friends in OA (which I am also a member of) who do that.
  • ClaireM8
    Options
    Focusing on eating slowly is good too. It is difficult to retrain yourself if you're a "bolter", but I have found that if I stop and think, I'm not even tasting food if I'm wolfing it down, which means that although I think I'm eating for pleasure, I actually miss out on the chance to really savour it.
  • meredithaloring
    meredithaloring Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think if you can set up a 'buddy system' with someone you're close with, so that you can reach out when you feel a binge coming on, they can help you stay strong. I do this with one of my friends and I think it helps. I also share my food log and I remember, when I am about to eat something I shouldn't, that everyone can see my log!