That time of year....

Options
Ajasper83
Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? When I had a part time job in retail last year not one person flinched when I greeted them with Happy Holidays. I wasn't expecting a huge reaction, but it just didn't seem that people cared and I live in a deeply religious part of the country.

What do you all hear more of, the Merry Xmas or Happy Holidays greeting?

Replies

• mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello! I definitely say "Merry Christmas" but it is only to appease friends and family. If I said, "Happy Holidays" I am pretty sure they would go off on me because I need to not "spread my religious views everywhere." It is bull.

I participate in gift giving and such, but my atheist boyfriend and I see it as an "End of the Year Appreciation."

The thing I cannot stand is when people write "merry x-mas" and people throw a fit because it is taking Christ out of Christmas.... No it is an abbreviation. That is what ticks me off the most about the holidays. lol.
  • rainbowfaye
    rainbowfaye Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I say happy holidays. I haven't had anyone have a problem with it. But I live in california. So maybe that's why.
  • Ajasper83
    Options
    I do also celebrate 'Christmas', but I like the end of year celebration idea. I might take up on that! The holiday cards I am sending to family members are all secular so I'm sure they'll complain about that behind my back :p

My uncle recently posted about people writing Merry XMAS and how that is offensive to him. Little does he know that assuming EVERYONE he knows celebrates Christmas is the real offense!

Ahhhh.....California. What I would give to live in a progressive state. I love my Kentucky, but as a whole we are really stuck in the past :p
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Merry Christmas is the phrase used most in this part of the country. And I've been called out for using "Xmas" or saying "Happy Holidays". It's like people in the south think that EVERYONE is a hardcore bible toting evangelical christian. We aren't. But we are ostracized for not falling into line and blindly believing without question.

This is where Christianity and I have parted ways. I am sick to death of this so-called "accepting" religion being so un-accepting and hateful in most cases.
  • Ajasper83
    Options
    Living in the south this has become a huge problem for me. It is just naturally assumed if you are living in the south you are a god fearing Christian. This time of year always brings out those who say Christmas is 'too politically correct' and I like to remind people the last time I checked there are several more holidays this time of year other than Christmas. To me it seems down right rational to just say Happy Holidays and cover all your bases.
    Merry Christmas is the phrase used most in this part of the country. And I've been called out for using "Xmas" or saying "Happy Holidays". It's like people in the south think that EVERYONE is a hardcore bible toting evangelical christian. We aren't. But we are ostracized for not falling into line and blindly believing without question.

This is where Christianity and I have parted ways. I am sick to death of this so-called "accepting" religion being so un-accepting and hateful in most cases.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I too live in the south (Houston) so I understand what you are getting at. At work I say Happy Holidays as I dont know the religious orientation (or lack thereof) of my coworkers. To my family and friends, I say Merry Christmas to those that have a Christian faith and Happy Holidays to those that are Atheists. As an Athiest, I dont get upset when either well wish is told to me. To me, they are telling me to enjoy the holidays which to me means getting to spend time with my family.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I too live in the south (Houston) so I understand what you are getting at. At work I say Happy Holidays as I dont know the religious orientation (or lack thereof) of my coworkers. To my family and friends, I say Merry Christmas to those that have a Christian faith and Happy Holidays to those that are Atheists. As an Athiest, I dont get upset when either well wish is told to me. To me, they are telling me to enjoy the holidays which to me means getting to spend time with my family.

This is my approach. I don't really care. I will tell anyone what I really think. I just go with the flow. Most of friends and family are all Christians so I try to be gentle when dealing with them. Those that are really close know exactly what I think. I live in Texas as well and there is a church on every other corner.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't say anything. If someone wishes me a happy merry, I just say "thanks, you too".

I also keep an ear out for coworkers complaining about how they "aren't allowed" to say Merry Christmas. It's childish of them and it's good to know who the Christians are.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't wish anyone happy holidays or merry Christmas or whatever, unless they say that to me and I say "you too".

Usually if I have to I just say "have a nice day". Luckily I don't work in retail anymore so if someone has a problem with me not referring to their specific holiday it's their problem.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm an atheist, I was raised "casual christian" and don't make a big deal about saying "Merry Christmas". I don't mind saying it. Seems to me that if Jesus were to actually have existed (which I doubt), he wouldn't have been such a bad guy. Not divine, but not a bad guy. My family doesn't get all religious during the holidays, anyway. We just eat and drink a lot of give each other presents. The most religious thing that happens in my father saying grace, to which I just bow my head and stay silent until it's over.

I do take offence to people who get all butthurt if you DO say "Happy Holidays", or write "X-Mas" instead of "Christmas". People can say it how they want to. I also take offence to intolerant situations (such as in a workplace) where an atheist or someone who is otherwise not a Christian would be "outing" themselves by not reciprocating with a "Merry Christmas", putting themselves at risk of discrimination and ostracism.
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I say "Merry Christmas" or sometimes I say "Happy Holidays." Really depends on what has been said to me.

My favourite greeting, however, is from some wrapping paper I bought at ThinkGeek.com, "Have a Satisfactory Non-Denominational Capitalist Wintertime Gift-Giving Season."
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm an atheist, I was raised "casual christian" and don't make a big deal about saying "Merry Christmas". I don't mind saying it. Seems to me that if Jesus were to actually have existed (which I doubt), he wouldn't have been such a bad guy. Not divine, but not a bad guy. My family doesn't get all religious during the holidays, anyway. We just eat and drink a lot of give each other presents. The most religious thing that happens in my father saying grace, to which I just bow my head and stay silent until it's over.

I do take offence to people who get all butthurt if you DO say "Happy Holidays", or write "X-Mas" instead of "Christmas". People can say it how they want to. I also take offence to intolerant situations (such as in a workplace) where an atheist or someone who is otherwise not a Christian would be "outing" themselves by not reciprocating with a "Merry Christmas", putting themselves at risk of discrimination and ostracism.

^^^ This, almost down to the letter! :flowerforyou:
  • Ajasper83
    Options
    This is pretty much my take on it as well! I really enjoy seeing all the responses and I've talked to some friends, Atheist and others who live across the country and each region has a different take on it. I did flip it on Fox News for a hot minute and saw that there is still a war on Christmas, just incase you all didn't know :p

^^^ This, almost down to the letter! :flowerforyou:
  • Annie_ga
    Options
    Happy Holidays for sure is how I greet people if I greet them this way. I live in Atlanta and nobody ever bothers me about that greeting - ever. Have a great day.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I try to say happy holidays or seasons greetings, but having been raised Xian, Merry Xmas sometimes creeps out.

I won't use religious holiday cards and this year I might actually have my husband convince not to send any out. Might just go with a 2012 annual recap letter, it tends to be more personal than those cards.

I do think an end of year reflection on the past year is a sensible thing to do and reflecting on friendships at least one a year makes sense but these "happy holidays" are mostly just a commercial thing. If there were some way of changing the holiday season to one that celebrates the passing of one year to the next with less emphasis on religion it would be a welcome change for me. You see it a lot through December as news articles reflect on the best and worst of the past year. If we could have a "cute cartoon " New Years symbol instead of the baby to oust Santa, Rudolph and all those other Xian symbols maybe it would work.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i celebrate x-mas by using the time off from work and school to spend time at home with my boyfriend and our dog. and an excuse to go to holiday parties haha

though when that comes up i usually just say happy holidays