Opinion - does gym cardio improve sparring stamina?

Options
2»

Replies

• cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with everyone who's said "more sparring" and if not possible "HIIT" training.

Also have to agree with beckyinma that the adrenaline and psychological stress of real sparring really burns through your stamina e.g. nervous energy is a killer in a real cage match.

so yea, in the gym try and hit HIIT type training - I try to keep a regular (5x1min intervals with 10s break) x 3 (1min break between the 3 sets) cardio routine after my weights, keep intensity high for each minute on.

Nervous energy is created from a lack of breathing properly. A trick during sparring that may help is to count your breathes while you react and act on your partner. +
    ^^ all of the above plus wearing gum shield during cardio really helps too^^
  • ramiroruiz
    Options
    Hi, all opinions these opinons are great, running, jumping the rope, rounds on the heavy bag and I'm going to add burpees.
    Of course the more you spar the better but is not only the physical part, experience is a more important part because you get less tense and start to know when you need to move, when to use more streght and breath.
    You can see experience fighters than can spar more rounds than beginners even if the experience fighter became more lazy and don't work out as much as the beginners.

Good luck and be patient
  • badb33st
    badb33st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    absolutley agree, the best training for fighting is fighting but if you cant spar/fight pick something that really makes you taste your lungs and vary the intervals .

J
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I was an endurance runner for about 15 yrs and wondered why my running buddy (a boxer who never runs) kicked my *kitten* running. I stopped running, took up boxing, and I'm a much faster better runner now from boxing than I ever was from running 50 miles a week. Now I don't really run that much though, I'd rather go to the boxing gym.
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The key is to relax.

When we spar at my school, or during testing, I like to spar each student one on one. While it makes for a lengthy test day, it does allow me to adequate see where my students are in their fighting skills.

That said, I am not an endurance runner, or anything like that. I just 'learned' to relax and how to breath. After 25 years of doing it you get into a rhythm and it becomes second nature.

However, in my kickboxing days. Sprinting and long runs did tons for my cardio.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert. I'm very new to the sport. It's just that this is what I am taught constantly and it seems to work well. I'm only posting to help reinforce the things I'm learning myself.

I love how this topic switched from "work harder", to "breathe better and relax". My trainer and coaches all stress the breath and relaxing. Focus on keeping your shoulders low, which is their relaxed state. When you strike, push out all of your air, which will cause you to completely replace your stale air with fresh air which will improve your breath. If your trainer is not teaching you to make the "Tsh" sound with your breath, get a new trainer.

And, when you're sparring, you don't have to barrage the person - watch and wait for the opening and go in for the strike or perform a proper setup which doesn't usually include a bunch of full-force hits. My trainer refers to the "shiny object" which means hitting without the intention of full force, but merely with intention to distract your opponent so you can set up your next move. Fight smart, not hard.

Good luck to you.

Roni
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The key is to relax.

I just 'learned' to relax and how to breath. After 25 years of doing it you get into a rhythm and it becomes second nature.

This!!

The key is controling your breathing and just relaxing. Your cardio is probably fine...its your breathing that is lacking. People when sparring tend to hold their breath alot because they are so focused on fighting....when you do that, your body trys to compensate by breathing faster, then you hold your breath more...and before you know it you feel winded. You aren't really exhausted, your body is just confused and unable to get enough oxygen. That is why you can wait 10 minutes...and go again.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In the past few months I have increased my training/sparring time and I have had a significant increase in my stamina/endurance. We have always done conditioning drills (sprints, all out timed kicking drills with minimal recovery time etc) and while that gave me some improvement over a long period of time it really has been the sparring that has made the difference for me.

I also agree with the breathing..learning to focus and try to control it a little better sure helps.